Will Be Visting CT and MA in Feb. Need Suggestions for Breweries to Visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJTroz

Palm Harbor Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In February, we will be heading up to SW CT for about a week so my wife could see her family and kids can play in the snow. We haven't lived in CT since 2007 and at that time, it was really just a lot of local bars. I'm hoping for a few suggestions of breweries to visit. We will be in CT and MA, possibly VT.

We will be doing the Mohawk Trail one day and stopping at Treehouse while in MA. If we get brave, we made head towards Boston to stop at Trillium or Idle Hands in Everett. If we make it to VT, we may stop at Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, or Prohibition Pig.

My question is more specifically around local breweries around CT. We will be between New Haven and Bridgeport but can hit most of the southern portion of the state.

I’m going to Two Roads Brewery in Stratford tomorrow. That’s the biggest craft brewer in the state. That’s exactly where you’ll be.

If you go to Everett, visit Night Shift and/or Mystic depending on the styles you prefer as well as Idle Hands.

If you don't want to go all the way into Boston, keep in mind that Trillium has another brewery in Canton, MA. All the beer available in Boston, plus you can buy a pint to enjoy there.
Not to mention there are a couple other new-ish breweries not far from there.

Also, a really good place to stop by is Jack‘s Abby in Framingham, MA. Not only do they have excellent Lagers, their barrel project next door is great. They call it Springdale. I recommend the Kriek Mythology.

In that area of CT New England brewing is right on the new haven/Woodbridge line. I would hit counter weight in Hamden. No worries is close to counter weight but they aren’t as good. Fox farm is about 40 minutes east and worth the trip.

I personally wouldn’t go to two roads unless you have some time to kill and already made all your stops. There stuff is ok noting really that special. Stony creek is like 10 minutes from new haven. Like two roads really nice brewery, great destination just not great beer.

I visited Two Roads last week for the first time and agree that I would skip that brewery unless you are interested in seeing how a large brewery runs. I had a flight and hate to say it every beer but was just average.

Definitely go to the Canton location for Trillium, not Boston. They have a taproom there and sell cans.

As for Treehouse, join the FB "THBC On-Tap" group for updates on what they are selling.

Hill Farmstead is a hike but worth it. I think they only do growlers, but unlike MA, they will fill anyone's growler.

Armby Abbey in Worcester, MA has a great beer selection.

Whetstone Brewery in Brattleboro, VT (just over the MA line) serves Hill Farmstead.

If you’re going to do tree house go on a Wednesday or Thursday. Shortest lines, other wise be prepared to wait at least an hour.

I'm from SW Connecticut, I can help you with this!

If you're in Bridgeport and New Haven, you need to go to Two Roads. Its about a 10 minute drive without traffic from either (it's in Stratford) and is an experience. The tap room is huge and most of the beers are inexpensive and reasonably good. Their beer isn't groundbreaking but its very drinkable and the tap room is cool. Same story for others in the New Haven area like Stony Creek or Thimble Island. Also in Bridgeport is Aspetuck Brew Lab. Haven't been there but I've heard they're good, and they specialize in experimental beers if that's your thing.

Counterweight Brewing in Hamden is excellent, and one of the best breweries in the state. It's fairly close to New Haven and is worth the drive. If you are into sour or farmhouse beers, Kent Falls Brewery in Kent, CT is the probably the most acclaimed brewery in the state. I loved them but it is very remote and a longish drive - about an hour and a half from Bridgeport I would say. If you love that style it's worth the drive, but again it is a long ride.

Personally, my new favorite brewery in this area is Lock City Brewing in Stamford. They do amazing NEIPAs and is a good alternative to a place like Treehouse or Trilium if you don't want to make the drive. I'm there pretty much every weekend. Great guys and excellent beer, I cannot recommend Lock City enough.

I would be happy to give any more advice! I've been to a lot of the breweries in this area, so I can give you a lot of advice on this.

If you like sours, check out OEC in Oxford. Thimble Island is decent, as is Stony Creek. Agree on Two Roads as well - their beer is solid, nothing mind-blowing, but the brewery is gorgeous.

You have to hit Veracious in Monroe...18+ beers on tap and a homebrew store connected to it!

++^ Also, Stubborn Beauty and Forest City are right next to each other in Middletown. Still Hill in Rocky Hill is 10 min up the road from there. Also, one of my favorites is Firefly Hollow in Bristol.

Thank you everyone for the replies. We made it to CT last night. I probably should have been more specific with the location. We are staying in Derby (Valley area). Friends have also suggested to try Bad Sons in Derby and THC for a selection of beers.

The way it looks, we will be going to Treehouse on Wednesday just to purchase cans, assuming they have new cases packaged. As of about an hour ago, all Julius was gone. I requested to join the FB group as mentioned by @Cevan65.

On the way in last night, we stopped at Total Wine and I picked up a couple 4 packs from Stony Creek, Two Hands, and Mayflower (MA). Plans have changed and we will only have 1 full day out by ourselves. We have 2 young kids and my father-in-law will only be able to watch them 1 day. On that day is when we will make the MA run to stock up on cans. As some of you mentioned as well as a few friends, Counterweight keeps getting mentioned. I think on the day the kids are with family, we will make runs to MA in the early afternoon, then stop at Bad Sons and Counterweight in the PM. If we had more time, I think we would have stopped at a few others.

Have fun up at Treehouse, they never disappoint. Bad Sons is also excellent, as is Counterweight. Hope you had a great time!

I would try and hit NEBCO. New Englangd Brewing CO. in Woodbridge. The guys at Counterweight use to work at NEBCO. THC has a pretty good selection of brews.

Back