Viscous WLP001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colizza

Reaction score
Just made a starter with wlp001 and i had to actually "press" the 0pouch of yeast to get it in. I shook the yeast before opening it to avoid big clumps, but the yeast was very viscous coming out of the pouch, any of guys had that with WLP001? (My first time with this yeast)

Sometimes that happens. If the yeast ferments in your starter and smells OK it is probably just fine. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I use wlp001 on virtually every batch and always have to squeeze the yeast out like a toothpaste tube (even when I shake it). It seems cumbersome but personally I much prefer these new pure pitch packets

Ya i prefer these ones too. It smelled a little fruity, which i guess is normal. Now the problem is there is no more electrcity (weird weather), so my starter is not going to be as great. Gonna inject pure O2

Same here, even with shaking, the new White Labs package needs to be squeezed to get all the yeast out since I started using them.

Ya i prefer these ones too. It smelled a little fruity, which i guess is normal. Now the problem is there is no more electrcity (weird weather), so my starter is not going to be as great. Gonna inject pure O2

Ya 001 has a great fruity quality to it that I really dig. How big is your beer?

1.058-1.059
Made a 1 liter starter for a 5.3 liter batch, asked 217bill cells and with 1 liter starter gave me 219bill, but i gave it a 20-30seconds shot of pure O2, well see

1.058-1.059
Made a 1 liter starter for a 5.3 liter batch, asked 217bill cells and with 1 liter starter gave me 219bill, but i gave it a 20-30seconds shot of pure O2, well see

I'm hoping you meant 5.3 gallon batch? 5.3L is only like 1.5 gallons in which case a pure pitch packets is way more than enough without starter. In the event that it IS a 5.3 gallon batch, the starter will be helpful but not necessary. I've pitched 001 in 5.5 gal batches with an O.G. as high as 1.072 and they fermented out just fine. Just a thought though

Back