Virus Issue? Nutrition? Any ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In the second year of growing hops (so, I was hoping to get some cones this year), but the leaves on my hops developed the brown discoloration shown in the picture. I don't see any evidence of aphids, eggs, or other insects. If it's a nutrition issue, any ideas on what I'd treat them with?
IMG_2054.png

I haven't gown hops but I grow lots of plants... one day Ill get some bines in the air.

Intervenial discoloration could be a nutrient problem such as intervenial chlorosis

what is the soil mixture? is is always wet?

You might want to watch for Verticillium as well. The first guess is treatable, Verticillium is not. the upward curl of the leaf makes me curious if you have a virus.

https://www.usahops.org/cabinet/data/4.pdf

Thanks—that's a really useful resource. The hops are just growing in topsoil.

We've gotten a lot of rain recently so maybe that's part of it. Someone on another forum also suggested nutrient issues, so earlier today I side-dressed the plants with hops fertilizer that includes nitrogen potassium, and dried kelp (which has magnesium and iron), so we'll see if that helps.
I haven't gown hops but I grow lots of plants... one day Ill get some bines in the air.

Intervenial discoloration could be a nutrient problem such as intervenial chlorosis

what is the soil mixture? is is always wet?

You might want to watch for Verticillium as well. The first guess is treatable, Verticillium is not. the upward curl of the leaf makes me curious if you have a virus.

https://www.usahops.org/cabinet/data/4.pdf

Thanks—that's a really useful resource. The hops are just growing in topsoil.

We've gotten a lot of rain recently so maybe that's part of it. Someone on another forum also suggested nutrient issues, so earlier today I side-dressed the plants with hops fertilizer that includes nitrogen potassium, and dried kelp (which has magnesium and iron), so we'll see if that helps.
Did the fertilizer help this?
I'm wondering if it was Magnesium deficiency too.

The affected leaves didn't improve, but the decay didn't spread. Not sure if the fertilizer helped or if it would have just stabilized on its own.

Back