Violent Fermentation - Odd Change in color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waborat

Reaction score
Here is the synopsis:

Brewing the Lakefront Fixed Gear extract kit from NB - Full Boil
Using Wyeast 1217 - W. Coast IPA
Made a 1000ml yeast starter on Stir Plate for 24 hrs
Performed boil and hop additions
Cooled wort to 66 degrees
Siphoned to new sanitized 6 gal Better Bottle
Took OG reading which was 16 Brix or 1.0654
Realized I lost some volume in the boil. Topped up.
Took Second OG Reading which was 15 Brix or 1.0611
Oxygenated wort with oxygen for 30 seconds
Pitched yeast and placed carboy in 66 degree room

Checked carboy approx. 20 hours later and 3-piece airlock has exploded. Could here the gassing and see foam practically spraying out. Heavy layer of Krausen on top but color of wort/beer seemed normal. Quickly switched out 3-piece and installed a sanitized blow off tube running to growler of starsan mix. Temp on carboy reading 66-68 degrees.

Checked 24 hours later. The blow off has overflowed with Krausen and heavy gassing can be heard. The major change is that the wort/beer had completely changed color. The entire carboy looks murky/muddy. Very hazy.

So in less than 48 hours it has went from a normal looking wort to this murky strange looking wort. I have never experienced a fermentation as aggressive as this. Further, I've never had a change in color this significant.

I'm concerned about this batch. Am I over reacting? Has anyone else experienced or seen anything like this before? Would love some feedback from some of the vets here. Thanks!

image.jpg

Here is the synopsis:

Brewing the Lakefront Fixed Gear extract kit from NB - Full Boil
Using Wyeast 1217 - W. Coast IPA
Made a 1000ml yeast starter on Stir Plate for 24 hrs
Performed boil and hop additions
Cooled wort to 66 degrees
Siphoned to new sanitized 6 gal Better Bottle
Took OG reading which was 16 Brix or 1.0654
Realized I lost some volume in the boil. Topped up.
Took Second OG Reading which was 15 Brix or 1.0611
Oxygenated wort with oxygen for 30 seconds
Pitched yeast and placed carboy in 66 degree room

Checked carboy approx. 20 hours later and 3-piece airlock has exploded. Could here the gassing and see foam practically spraying out. Heavy layer of Krausen on top but color of wort/beer seemed normal. Quickly switched out 3-piece and installed a sanitized blow off tube running to growler of starsan mix. Temp on carboy reading 66-68 degrees.

Checked 24 hours later. The blow off has overflowed with Krausen and heavy gassing can be heard. The major change is that the wort/beer had completely changed color. The entire carboy looks murky/muddy. Very hazy.

So in less than 48 hours it has went from a normal looking wort to this murky strange looking wort. I have never experienced a fermentation as aggressive as this. Further, I've never had a change in color this significant.

I'm concerned about this batch. Am I over reacting? Has anyone else experienced or seen anything like this before? Would love some feedback from some of the vets here. Thanks!

I see it's your first post - RDWHAHB <--- look it up ;)

Your wort looks just fine. The murky look is from all of the active yeast moving in solution.
I would put this carboy in a tub of cool water to absorb some of the heat being produced. Temperature may continue rising.
Could not find WY1217 on Wyeasts site. Typically when wort temp reaches 70° off flavors can be produced.

Looks fine to me. Maybe you had more of the break material that was generated during boiling and cooling wind up in your barrel than other beers you have have produced, thus making the beer seem murky/muddy. I wouldn't worry at all. Given time, the murky/muddy will fall out to the bottom of the carboy and you will be able to rack your fresh clean beer off of it.

You did well. I don't remember if you spoke about sanitation but believe you probably did well with that, based on your attention to detail. Seems to me you did due diligence making beer this far and you're not going to start screwing up now.

All will be good. The big question for you is?

What to brew next?

You brewed good beer already!

Thanks for the responses and input guys! Another day in and it appears that the wort is starting to return to a normal color. I guess the yeast just went nuts with this one. I've never seen the wort suddenly go completely murky like that before.
Anyone else use this Wyeast 1217 yet? It's part if the current "Private Collection". There is speculation that it comes from Green Flash or Stone. Who knows. But I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a fermentation like this.

Thanks for the responses and input guys! Another day in and it appears that the wort is starting to return to a normal color. I guess the yeast just went nuts with this one. I've never seen the wort suddenly go completely murky like that before.
Anyone else use this Wyeast 1217 yet? It's part if the current "Private Collection". There is speculation that it comes from Green Flash or Stone. Who knows. But I'm curious if anyone else has experienced a fermentation like this.

never used 1217, but I would get fermentations like that. Now, I ferment in kegs, so I don't see what it does.

Well things are looking normal now. A few firsts for me with this batch. Stir plate on the starter, and aerating with pure O2. A friend told me the O2 would make a huge difference in the fermentation. He was right! Yeast went nutz. I'm looking forward to trying this one.

Back