Vinty Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie Zero

Reaction score
I'm using a Vinty Airlock on my fermenter. How will I know fermentation has started? Will I see large bubbles? Will there be any sound?

Also, I've filled it halfway with purified water. Should I change the water, and if so, how often?

I've also heard that I should fill it with vodka, but that sounds strange to me. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

I have no idea what a "Vinty" airlock is; I've never heard that term. Is it one of the three-piece ones (which I like), one of the bendy types, or something else entirely?

In any case, no need to change the water; it will never (hopefully) touch the beer. Some people use vodka in their airlocks as they feel it adds an extra layer of protection; honestly, I don't think there's any real reason, nothing harmful is going to get through the water and inside the fermenter (that's the whole reason for having an airlock in the first place).

It should bubble if fermentation is happening. Water is fine, just know you have to check and make sure the level hasn't dropped - I've used tap water before (bad if something happens, and it sucks it back into the fermenter). Vodka won't freeze if that is an issue and the alcohol with keep bacteria away. An airlock is just meant to let the excess co2 out and not let anything in (critters).

Open fermenters have been used in Germany (and other places) for hundreds of years, the layer of co2 created is 1) heavier than air, 2) is a barrier to get to the beer (dead zone).

People get too involved in the "air-tight" fermenter. This probably goes back to the days of making beer "in a closet" and keeping "junk" out of it.

Vinty Airlock;
airlock-mini.jpg

I used the magic of Youtube, and saw some airlocks a-bubblin'. Now I know what to look for!

The future is now, people! ;)

Ah, never heard it referred to as anything other than "three piece airlock." Those are the kind I use. Nothing to worry about, water, sanitizer, or vodka in there, it'll never touch the brew. You *might* consider vodka only because it *is* possible for the fluid to get sucked in, if you press on the bucket lid, or if a vacuum forms as the wort cools (wort should already be cooled by the time you seal things up).

Zombie Zero said:
I have a feeling if I used vodka, that airlock would suddenly become a shotglass. :D

You could always do a shot when you rack... the water or whatever you use does pick up some hop flavor and aroma. I'm just tasted a little bit, but it *might* be pretty good... :D

Hi,

I have been brewing for just a couple of months but recently got a second fermenter so that I could graduate to two-stage brewing. Forgot to order a second airlock for it, so I did last night online and noticed a little caveat that you are supposed to use spirits or sanitizer in there. I am reassured by all of the above that this isn't strictly necessary and am going to go right on using water. However, I did want to report my one close contamination scare: a couple of batches back, I discovered that over the course of fermentation, a bunch of little gnats (attracted by that nice yeasty smell, I suppose) had worked their way into the airlock via the tiny holes in its cap. :drunk: They drowned or otherwise expired in the airlock, though; none managed to make their way to the central tube emanating from the fermenter. Whew! Score one for the Vinty defense system!

JG

i often put a wee pinch of One-Step sanitizer into my airlock, just to be 100% sure that nothing gets in the water, fouls it all up, and works its way to the beer.

Back