Vintner's Harvest & Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerdFurgeson

Reaction score
I've been lurking on these threads for quite some time reading mostly the DIY. I make beer for myself, but like to do simple apfelwein to share with friends. With that said, I'm thinking about attempting to do a peach apfelwein using a can of Vintner's Harvest Peach wine base.

I am having trouble determining the sugar content of the wine base to determine the appropriate amount of juice and corn sugar to end up strong, but drinkable and enjoyable.

Anyone else done something similar to make a flavored apfelwein?

I should probably clarify, the 96oz can that for a 5 gallon batch of wine recommends 11 lbs of sugar.

I typically just the 2 lbs of corn sugar for a 5 gallon batch of aplfewein. If adapting this, I am thinking about using the 3 gallon recipe, but substituting 2 gallons of apple juice or using frozen apple concentrate, then adding the 2 lbs of corn sugar as i normally would for apfelwein.

A)If I was to do so, would I be wrecking the flavor profile of the peach? and B)would by OG be significantly different than if I simply used all apple juice and added peach flavor after fermentation?

There are a lot of variables involved and since I don't really know that particular kit, I'd have to say I would start with apple juice and add the kit to bring up your OG. If you add the whole kit and your OG isn't high enough for you...then start adding more sugar.

I did a quick search online and it appears that kit is basically just 100% fruit juice. I assume it's a concentrate, but I really couldn't tell from the description. If it's a concentrate, you might get two batches out of it (doing 3 gallon batches)

Sorry I wasn't able to help more. Let us know what you decide.

I haven't used the peach before but I have a can of the vintners harvest apple. The guy at my LHBS uses these cans all the time and said one can in 3 gallons of water would be about the gravity of a 'normal' cider (1.04-1.065ish I'm guessing)

You should check your gravity, obviously, but I would think that adding the can of peach concentrate to the 6 gallons of apple juice will get you above and potentially well above an EdWort Apfelwein OG.

Good luck

Back