Vintage Kegerator Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ferm fridge is a 1949 Hotpoint.
F35FE260-7D79-4686-98B3-E8376442A98B.jpeg1C02FD5A-5F31-4118-AA12-0C2CA0932397.jpeg
My kegerator is a 1963 GE.
6521B192-8D57-45BE-963A-F0E0A29E8D70.jpegB5D881DB-0A95-4E89-AFA9-913E5C541762.jpeg

Funny how you think that's better...

Cheers! :D
it's long soaked deep into the finish and permanently stained the enamel. It ain't ever coming out and it's now been sealed with Penetrol. It just looks cool with the "patina" and such...

I suspect those Hotpoints are made by GE. I see many identical parts and design features to my 47 GE.

I like the vintage kegerators! Its common for governments and power companies to push getting rid of older fridges for more energy efficient new ones. How noticeable is the difference in power use?
I really liked hearing about the fridge with the handle and hinges that allow it open either way - just like my 1951 International pick-up! My kegerator is boring 90s

Vintage refrigerators use very little power. They are well insulated and they do not defrost. During a power failure they will hold cold for a long time cause the ice build up.

Defrost is the big power suck. Cool down, heat up, cool down, heat up...

The only down side is ice buildup so eventually you must thaw it out. But you only open a vintage fridge once, to tap a keg. Then it never opens again until time for a new keg. My 3 tapper gets a defrost like every year or two...and I'm on the humid Texas coast.

The vintage "drink" fridge gets thawed more often.

@odie ill get some pics this weekend, it’s not in use at the moment and has some garage stuff piled in front of it that I plan to deal with while I’m off.

A friend had a '50's fridge, I think it was a Philco.
It had a big "V" shaped handle in the middle of the door, and depending on which way you turned it, it would hinge on either the left or right side.

Coolest fridge I ever saw!
those old V handle Philcos are somewhat rare and desireable!

Back