Vinegar Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave107

Reaction score
I keep my kit super clean, and try and keep my temps at around 68 to 70 degrees, but my Beer Machine extracts have produced 3 out of 5 batches of vinegar, so basically I've paid about $200.00 for 2 cases of beer. The last batch that went vinegary I bottled 1/3, poured in more water and added a teaspoon of sugar, let it ferment again for 2 days and it fixed itself. But it's super boozy now like malt liquor.

Dave107 said:
I keep my kit super clean, and try and keep my temps at around 68 to 70 degrees, but my Beer Machine extracts have produced 3 out of 5 batches of vinegar, so basically I've paid about $200.00 for 2 cases of beer. The last batch that went vinegary I bottled 1/3, poured in more water and added a teaspoon of sugar, let it ferment again for 2 days and it fixed itself. But it's super boozy now like malt liquor.

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/sour-flavors.html

What are you using to sanitize?

Sounds like you got an acetobacter infection. Bleach everything that touched that beer. rinse really well with hot water,then sanitize.

An acetobacter infection would not "fix itself" but would continue to get more vinegary. I think you are confusing acetaldehyde with vinegar. Acetaldehyde is a normal product of fermenting and is present in all beers when they are young but is broken down by the yeast with more time. Let your beer spend more time in the fermenter and the yeast will clean up some of it, then leave them in the bottle for a while more and the yeast will get the rest of it. Don't dump it, its just immature (the beer, that is).

Bleach solution and hot water, thanks. I used to have better luck when I made it in a pail, never a vinegar taste

Back