Vinegar smell and taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeds1

Reaction score
My last two batches are drain pours, both have a vinegar smell and taste. Any idea what causes this, is it some type of bug or infection? Both were fermented in the same carboy, which is always washed with oxy free and then sanitized with star san. Bung, hi temp hoses, pump, air locks.....all washed and sanitized the same way. Oxygen stone is always sanitized as well. These were my first drain pours after 16 batches under my belt and needless to say it's a little disheartening.

Sounds like acetobactor.

Star San and or boil everything you can. Disassemble everything you can first. That way you get into every nook and cranny.

It most likely is an infection.
But I've also have found this to be common with some lager yeasts that fermented to warm.

This is why temp. control is so important.

Both were fermented in a dedicated fermenting fridge with controlled temps, so I don't think that is an issue. One was a pumpkin, and the other is a winter warmer. The pumpkin is bottled, and I haven't dumped the bottles yet. I keep opening one every couple of weeks hoping that the taste/smell are gone.

The winter warmer is still sitting in a carboy. When I pulled a sample for a hydro reading I could smell it and then tasted it.

Is the warmer worth keeping and trying to sour?

Both were fermented in a dedicated fermenting fridge with controlled temps, so I don't think that is an issue. One was a pumpkin, and the other is a winter warmer. The pumpkin is bottled, and I haven't dumped the bottles yet. I keep opening one every couple of weeks hoping that the taste/smell are gone.

The winter warmer is still sitting in a carboy. When I pulled a sample for a hydro reading I could smell it and then tasted it.

Is the warmer worth keeping and trying to sour?

It may be. I mean, if it's aceterobacter contamination (vinegar), it will be a dumper (or use for vinegar if it's alright for that) but if it's lacto or pedio or something else it might be good down the road. It does sound more like vinegar from your description, but who knows?

It may be. I mean, if it's aceterobacter contamination (vinegar), it will be a dumper (or use for vinegar if it's alright for that) but if it's lacto or pedio or something else it might be good down the road. It does sound more like vinegar from your description, but who knows?

I guess I'll just let it sit and see what happens. Reading up on Acetobacter though, it seems it needs some oxygen to really turn the beer into vinegar. The beer is still in primary and has only been opened once. I wonder if it's possible to keep it at bay and add some other bugs to it in hopes they take over? I've got a packet of Roselare that I could dump in it as well.

It's sitting in my basement which is a cool 62F right now, I'm thinking I should move it to a warmer part of the house.

Is this a second or third generation yeast strain your using? It could be past it's prime or have mutated.

Back