Vigorous Fermenting..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cghinds

Reaction score
So a friend of mine got me into home brewing I am only on my second brew. The 2 beers I have brewed we rendered from the True brew kits. 1st was American wheat and the 2nd was the red Ale. I just wanted to know if there was a reason I haven't seen a vigorous fermentation. My friend has shown me stages in his fermentation where his carboy is full of foam and foam is coming out of the airlock. He says he gets this reaction from every beer he has done just wondering if it is normal for it to do that and if it is why it didn't happen with the beer i have made?

Please go easy I am just learning this hobby.

First, there is nothing typical about fermenting. Second, I usually try to ferment cooler, which tends to help keep runaway blowoff and krausen in check. Maybe the difference between you and him is as simple as temperature.

He may also just have less headroom in his fermenter. But +1 on cooling the wort down until you can pitch at room temp. You may also get some sweet, off-flavors from warmer fermentation.

Dude, my first ferms were pseudo violent, and I have had some that were real erupters. I have also had a few that were almost no bubblies in the airlock and a very minute kraussen ring. Once you taste your beers and find that they are delicious regardless of the fermy violence or not, you will learn to appreciate the 'calmer' of the ferms. At the same time, you wont be worried when you dont have an airlock filler. (Violent ferms are more of a PITA IMO)
-Me

I'm a Noob too! I returned to brewing in January after a 20 Yr. Hiatus. My first two brews fermented like there was no tomorrow.

I just bottled a Wit that drove my wife crazy when it was expelling gases through the blow out tube.

I brewed an Irish red ale on Saturday that has not show a single bubble through the blow out tube but I can see a ton of sediment on the bottom of the bucket so I'm not real concerned.

I'm going to switch out the blowout tube for a fermentation lock tomorrow and test the SG if it hasn't dropped from the OG of 1.046 I'll get a little worried but stick the fermentation lock on and wait until the weekend and test again.

I brewed last Friday and didn't see any signs of fermentation until Sunday night. I almost got worried but remembered to RDWHAHB and all is well :mug:

Most others would suggest that you do a search for this on the site. However, I think that will result in a ga-zillion results.....

So, maybe you should Relax, Don't Worry, Have Another Home Brew!

Pouring new wort on a big yeast cake can give explosive fermentation.

I've also had hardcore fermentation when I inject O2 during pitching.

both of the above result in very large yeast colonies, which means more yeasties fermenting.

Back