Vienna Malt Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tberry

Reaction score
I picked up the ingredients to make a Hefeweizen (6lb wheat, 3lb Pils, 1 lb Vienna Malt, .5lb Caramunich Malt). The problem is I ended up getting 3lbs of Vienna and 1lb of Pils. I think it will still be ok but was curious what some more experienced brewers may think.

Thanks

People brew Hefeweizen with 30% Munich all the time, only at that point it becomes Dunkelweizen. 30% Vienna shouldn't be a problem, and will probably create a wonderfully malty fall beer.

Thanks for the replies. The Brew is done! Ill post a response once its been tasted. The brew night well, we did a step mash with a single decoction. We were close on the numbers and had a great time brewing it. First beer of the colder weather here in South / East Indiana (Cincy) area. I hope its fitting of the season.

Bottled this Hefe yesterday. I am very pleased with the color. Its a very beautiful golden color, the taste, although flat due to no carbonation was still very good. Ill report back in about a week or two with the finished product and tasting notes.

This beer came out pretty nice. Although IMO the Vienna kinda took over and although it was not bad tasting I feel it pushed the beer out of the Hefe category and into something a little different. I certainly lost some of the banana flavor I like in the recipe. I have sinse rebrewed a 10 gal batch using 60% wheat 30% pils and 10% Vienna Mal also added a half lb of caramunich for the color. Not bottled yet but I think this will get me the profile Im looking for

Latest posts

Back