Vienna malt for a dry hopped saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty_martini

Reaction score
I've been really digging the flavors of some American style dry hopped saison like Flat Tail Little Green, Lost Abbey carnevale, and Firestone opal.

I'm going to be keeping it realities low in abv around 5%, with galaxy as the dry hop. I was thinking since the abv is low to use a more interesting base malt since there won't be much malt backbone. What about using 100% Vienna as the malt with a small sugar addition? Mash low so it drys out properly, but maybe hold onto a little more malt character in the beer instead of just Pilsner malt.

Any thoughts

5gal
8# Vienna
12oz sugar
.35oz warrior 60mins
2oz Galaxy dry hop
Wyeast French saison

Mash at 148
Ferment starting at 70 and let it free rise to high 70s

I've been really digging the flavors of some American style dry hopped saison like Flat Tail Little Green, Lost Abbey carnevale, and Firestone opal.

I'm going to be keeping it realities low in abv around 5%, with galaxy as the dry hop. I was thinking since the abv is low to use a more interesting base malt since there won't be much malt backbone. What about using 100% Vienna as the malt with a small sugar addition? Mash low so it drys out properly, but maybe hold onto a little more malt character in the beer instead of just Pilsner malt.

Any thoughts

5gal
8# Vienna
12oz sugar
.35oz warrior 60mins
2oz Galaxy dry hop
Wyeast French saison

Mash at 148
Ferment starting at 70 and let it free rise to high 70s

I like vienna malt I don't see any problems with this...I don't think i would add the sugar really..especially if your trying to keep the ABV down other wise id say brew it up.

Looks good to me. Im not a huge fan of vienna or munich especially in saisons. Last time I used either, it seemed to mute the yeast character. It was good, but it just wasnt as vibrant as I wanted.

Back