vienna as base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
discuss.

i even had good results in a cream ale with vienna as the base. any reason not to use it as primary base malt

If you like it, use it in any beer you'd like. It's a fine base malt. I usually only use 100% vienna in a Vienna lager, but I use several pounds of it in many other beers. It's especially nice in APAs and IPAs, to help balance some of the hoppiness.

I love Vienna. I keep a Vienna and saaz smash in semi-regular rotation. I don't make it as often as my pils and saaz smash but it's a great change-of-pace beer.

I love using vienna as a base malt. I use it as base malt in alot of my red ales and porters. Also in an IPA or two. Like yooper said, it balances out hops but it also just tastes so good to me. To me, it adds a malty backbone that is very satisfying.

I just started drinking Yooper's fizzy yellow beer. WOW that beer is amazing. I used a lot of vienna, with a little 2-row, and some specialties. Cascade and Willamette mix for the hops. The vienna is a great change, extremely delicious.

Vienna is great. Deathbrewer's Vienna + Northern Brewer Smash is awesome. 10lb Vienna, 1oz NB at 60, 20 & 1min. Notty or US-05. YUM!

I just used Vienna as half the base in a Strong Scottish ale. Its a little young but seems like its going to be really awesome in another month or two.

Back