Video Games

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No where's near as bad I was at least able to play thru it.

I paid $60 for far cry 4 and only played it for about a 1/2 hour. Drive to 15 villages to collect enough pieces of crap to have a machine gun. Such BS.

I got The Division, Fifa 16 and Star Wars Battlefront for 110 and that having in mind that Im in Canada where is impossible to find something on sale lol

I dont know man I heard video games and wanted to share my experience, does anyone play those games?

The Division, Fifa 16 and Star Wars Battlefront

I don't soccer.

I picked up SW:Battlefront and played it for a few hours at most. It seems a little easy and the advancement didn't show anything to get me excited. I'd like to put a little more time into it, it was fun.

I don't know anything about The Division. I heard a few people talk about it here and there. How is it? Heard it is an RPG? I'm really fiending for a good RPG to play.

I got The Division, Fifa 16 and Star Wars Battlefront for 110 and that having in mind that Im in Canada where is impossible to find something on sale lol

Still play Battlefront some, usually when drinking and not feeling like concentrating too hard on anything. Wish they'd release the new map packs, because the default ones are pretty limited.

Heh. We pulled out Battlefront after the horrible Super Bowl this year. Decided to shoot some people while we were completely wasted. My friend hadn't seen it before and man... wish you could've seen his reaction when Darth Vader came stomping over the hill towards him. Dude lost his ****.

Heh. We pulled out Battlefront after the horrible Super Bowl this year. Decided to shoot some people while we were completely wasted. My friend hadn't seen it before and man... wish you could've seen his reaction when Darth Vader came stomping over the hill towards him. Dude lost his ****.

Do you ever play the Hero Hunt mode? I was playing, several beers in, and it dropped me in a match with only one other guy. I killed him off fairly quick and got spawned as Princess Leia (who has that perk to spawn her own health regen item) and dominated the rest of the match, even after a couple other people jumped in. Dude had to have been getting pissed about it.

Do you ever play the Hero Hunt mode? I was playing, several beers in, and it dropped me in a match with only one other guy. I killed him off fairly quick and got spawned as Princess Leia (who has that perk to spawn her own health regen item) and dominated the rest of the match, even after a couple other people jumped in. Dude had to have been getting pissed about it.

If I tried it, it was just while wasted that night. I haven't got to play as a hero.

If I tried it, it was just while wasted that night. I haven't got to play as a hero.

Basically it is one hero vs. everyone else as regular players. Whoever kills the hero becomes the hero next, and whoever gets the most kills as the hero wins.

It is either lots of fun (if you frequently get the hero and can stay competitive) or incredibly frustrating (if your kills keep getting jacked by someone else, or if one a-hole *cough* runs the whole match).

Still play Battlefront some, usually when drinking and not feeling like concentrating too hard on anything. Wish they'd release the new map packs, because the default ones are pretty limited.

I feel like the game lacks of customization as well as classes, engine is awesome but it doesnt feel like that epic Battlefront II where you could do more things.

I don't soccer.

I picked up SW:Battlefront and played it for a few hours at most. It seems a little easy and the advancement didn't show anything to get me excited. I'd like to put a little more time into it, it was fun.

I don't know anything about The Division. I heard a few people talk about it here and there. How is it? Heard it is an RPG? I'm really fiending for a good RPG to play.

I dont even play Battlefront anymore honestly. And the division, I played the beta and yes, its an rpg, kind of a gta in an inefected city and you kind of have to do a bunch of missions to improve the different departments in the city(army, medical wing, IT, etc). I already pre ordered it. I think it offers a different theme and its worth buying.

Just put my first pc build together. Went really well. Did have some issues with Windows install, only because I installed win7. I called microsoft and got a replacement key from an old laptop. Took a while to get the iso working. I guess Microsoft is trying to do away with win7. It was hard getting it all working but I did it. Upgraded to win10 and everything is great.

My original parts list was not what I ended up with. Found a few sales I couldn't pass up.

Original list:
I5-6500
Asus z170 gaming board
Asus strix gtx 970
Evga 650
Samsung 850 evo

Found i5-6600k with free gigabyte z170 hd3p board. Had to scoop that up. Found gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming for $70 off. Had to get that over the strix.

This machine can run a lot of games on ultra. I'm waiting for Fallout 4 to go on sale again. Not sure I will be able to run that on ultra but I bet on high.

After all this time I STILL haven't beaten the Paladin Class Challenge for hearthstone's Naxxramas adventure.

EDIT: nevermind, after attempt #985765435678765434567876543456789 I finally got it.

Any other S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s on HBT? After playing Shadow of Chernobyl six or seven years ago and Call of Pripyat maybe three years ago, I finally installed Clear Sky and I've been getting into it. It may not have been received as well as the other two, but I'm definitely enjoying my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fix.

Side question: After three and a half years running happily with my factory overclocked Radeon 7850 I'm not in great need of a GPU upgrade, but I'm starting to get the itch and want to do some research. It would need to be single-slot, similar power draw to the 7850, and reasonably priced (maybe up to $250). Basically, I'm hoping for something that will perform in 2019 like the 7850 performs today - plenty of power for games 1-2 years old with decent graphics quality, adequate for the newest stuff with some graphical compromises. Anyone have any suggestions, or would I be better off waiting until some of the current stuff goes down in price as newer stuff gets phased in?

Any other S.T.A.L.K.E.R.s on HBT? After playing Shadow of Chernobyl six or seven years ago and Call of Pripyat maybe three years ago, I finally installed Clear Sky and I've been getting into it. It may not have been received as well as the other two, but I'm definitely enjoying my S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fix.

Loved Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky. Unfortunately I never was able to get Call of Pripyat to run on my machine, which is quite old. Whenever I get around to building a new PC, CoP will probably be among the first games I play. SoC is still one of my favorite games.

Finished all the camo challenges on Black Ops 3 yesterday while hungover so now I finally have the black matter camo that I'll never use. It was a fun grind but the pistols were by far the worst for me, even over the combat knife. So now after a month of struggling with guns I didn't always enjoy, I had reason to turn up my scorestreaks and use a setup I actually liked... was scoring the VTOL Motherships, once per match. In hardcore kill confirmed, I was ending up around 50 kills 10 deaths. I'll play a few here and there with my friends, but now I think that game can be retired. The only challenges I have left are just stupid, highly situational grinds like killing 300 people by shooting through walls/objects. No thanks.

I'm ready for a break; I was just way too hungover all weekend. Going to chill out from the games and hopefully get some brewing done before the new Dark Souls game release.

So... most amazing gameplay of any game i've ever seen.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKyT19o-Nl8[/ame]

So... most amazing gameplay of any game i've ever seen.

That's pretty cool, but I can't play games like that. Was bored halfway through the video. Those assassin games are all the same and seem to offer little challenge. I appreciate the sandbox build of the game but I think it would get old to me. How was the first one?

That's pretty cool, but I can't play games like that. Was bored halfway through the video. Those assassin games are all the same and seem to offer little challenge. I appreciate the sandbox build of the game but I think it would get old to me. How was the first one?

The first Dishonored? Fantastic game. One of the few single-player games I've actually played through in its entirety. It was what the sequel to the Thief series should have been.

Played a little more FC Primal. It plays mostly like any other Far Cry game, but it hasn't really drawn me in yet (the gorgeous weather this weekend may have played a role in that as well, though). A couple other observations:

One of the people you recruit for your village is a shaman type. His missions help build up your skills for taming animals to fight with you. There's one where you do this vision quest thing and play as a mammoth to fight rhinos...hoooly crap, is it frustratingly poorly-executed.

I have a white wolf as my animal companion currently. We took over an enemy outpost, and at one point I look over, and my wolf is standing over a dead body with its leg lifted, peeing on it. Ha, nice touch.

Side question: After three and a half years running happily with my factory overclocked Radeon 7850 I'm not in great need of a GPU upgrade, but I'm starting to get the itch and want to do some research. It would need to be single-slot, similar power draw to the 7850, and reasonably priced (maybe up to $250). Basically, I'm hoping for something that will perform in 2019 like the 7850 performs today - plenty of power for games 1-2 years old with decent graphics quality, adequate for the newest stuff with some graphical compromises. Anyone have any suggestions, or would I be better off waiting until some of the current stuff goes down in price as newer stuff gets phased in?

I'd say ride it out with the 7850 if you're still happy with your performance, that way when you feel you actually need the upgrade you can get more bang for your buck. The 7850 was a good card too, I imagine its still got a good bit of life left.

Same here. I think I got about halfway through that game (the first one) and just got so bored. Couldn't get into the story, and the gameplay just became monotonous.

Followers always get in the way.

This.

Couldn't get into the story, and the gameplay just became monotonous.

Yeah man.. if a game is just going to be just jumping off ledges to stab people, it needs to have one hell of a story or character progression to hold interest. I made it like half an hour into Thief. As soon as I learned killing people was frowned upon, I was done. Wife even got bored with it fast.. and she can tolerate some boring games.

Yeah man.. if a game is just going to be just jumping off ledges to stab people, it needs to have one hell of a story or character progression to hold interest. I made it like half an hour into Thief. As soon as I learned killing people was frowned upon, I was done. Wife even got bored with it fast.. and she can tolerate some boring games.

I've tried really hard to get into those games, because they look really great... But I'm the same, I have a really hard time getting into the story. The overall idea is solid and the gameplay is cool at first but without a solid storyline that gets you hooked right off the bat the gameplay can only entertain you so much.

The animals are what are keeping me from picking up this game. I hate having followers, let alone pets.
Followers always get in the way.

It hasn't been bad *yet*, at least as far as charging into battle when I'm trying to be stealthy, but I do feel like I have to heal the damn thing constantly.

Oh god... no thanks. I don't even like to heal myself let alone take care of someone else. Thank you for the heads up on that.

I'm with you there. I am kinda a healing item hoarder. I collect them but don't like to use them. I just like to find a quiet place to hang around until I am back to 100%.

Loved Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky. Unfortunately I never was able to get Call of Pripyat to run on my machine, which is quite old. Whenever I get around to building a new PC, CoP will probably be among the first games I play. SoC is still one of my favorite games.

SoC is one of the only games I've replayed since college. During and before college I was a replay machine - lord only knows how many times I've been through Deus Ex or Chronotrigger - but graduation was roughly the "life's too short to keep repeating a bunch of video games" moment for me. It's still taken me almost a decade to get to the "if it's kind've fun but still feels like a grind, just put it away" point, but a dozen hours of Dead Island convinced me. Game time is dwindling and we're planning on having our first kid in the next year if all goes well, so I don't really have the time to play half-baked games anymore.

I'd say ride it out with the 7850 if you're still happy with your performance, that way when you feel you actually need the upgrade you can get more bang for your buck. The 7850 was a good card too, I imagine its still got a good bit of life left.

I was worried about this 7850 when I bought it because it's a kind've weird model that they didn't seem to sell in the States, so I suspected it was low-binned silicon that was earmarked for China, and then MSI factory overclocked it beyond what any other manufacturer was doing which worried me even more. I chose it because it was the cheapest 7850 available and MSI's warranty is solid, but I thought there was a good chance I'd be getting a warranty replacement or it would die within a couple years. Three and a half years later, it's still going strong, but it must be noted that the most demanding game I've pushed through it is The Witcher 2. Since I tend to wait for complete editions to go on sale, games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, both of which I'm already itching to play, are still far off on the horizon for me. Those two and Farcry 4 are probably the most likely candidates to inspire a semi-mandatory upgrade for me.

If it were today, I think I'd be getting the R9 380. Same profile and power draw as the 7850 (within a margin of error, at least), right in the middle of my price range, and a big enough performance gap to justify spending money on an upgrade. However, you're probably right that I have no need to upgrade just yet; this is more thought experiment/pre-research. Now I know that the R9 380 is a solid candidate to replace my 7850, so I can see how much they're going for when it's time to upgrade, or I can do a quick Google search for it's direct successor to keep in my size, power, and price range.

SoC is one of the only games I've replayed since college. During and before college I was a replay machine - lord only knows how many times I've been through Deus Ex or Chronotrigger - but graduation was roughly the "life's too short to keep repeating a bunch of video games" moment for me. It's still taken me almost a decade to get to the "if it's kind've fun but still feels like a grind, just put it away" point, but a dozen hours of Dead Island convinced me. Game time is dwindling and we're planning on having our first kid in the next year if all goes well, so I don't really have the time to play half-baked games anymore.

I was worried about this 7850 when I bought it because it's a kind've weird model that they didn't seem to sell in the States, so I suspected it was low-binned silicon that was earmarked for China, and then MSI factory overclocked it beyond what any other manufacturer was doing which worried me even more. I chose it because it was the cheapest 7850 available and MSI's warranty is solid, but I thought there was a good chance I'd be getting a warranty replacement or it would die within a couple years. Three and a half years later, it's still going strong, but it must be noted that the most demanding game I've pushed through it is The Witcher 2. Since I tend to wait for complete editions to go on sale, games like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, both of which I'm already itching to play, are still far off on the horizon for me. Those two and Farcry 4 are probably the most likely candidates to inspire a semi-mandatory upgrade for me.

If it were today, I think I'd be getting the R9 380. Same profile and power draw as the 7850 (within a margin of error, at least), right in the middle of my price range, and a big enough performance gap to justify spending money on an upgrade. However, you're probably right that I have no need to upgrade just yet; this is more thought experiment/pre-research. Now I know that the R9 380 is a solid candidate to replace my 7850, so I can see how much they're going for when it's time to upgrade, or I can do a quick Google search for it's direct successor to keep in my size, power, and price range.

I love MSI, I've never had an issue with anything I've gotten from them. The R9 is a solid card for the price but unless you just find an insane deal on it then it'll be even cheaper when you actually need the upgrade. Nothing wrong with keeping up to date with your options though! The more research you do the more informed of a decision you can make.

I'm with you there. I am kinda a healing item hoarder. I collect them but don't like to use them. I just like to find a quiet place to hang around until I am back to 100%.

I end up being that way accidentally. Diablo for example, when health potions were a consumable, I never wanted to use it because I always assumed I would survive a fight. I wanted to save my potion CD for that real oh **** moment, which would inevitably never come. All games with consumables, I am always waiting for a better moment, so they don't get used.

Back