Veterans sound off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaddBaggins said:
I look back at the crap I've done since I got out and realize that 20 in the Navy would have been cake. It really was the best job I ever had.

A lot of it is boiling down to family time(or lack thereof) My wife and I have been married almost 2 years now and have been together for like 4 months of that. Things aren't really slowing down for EOD either which is a big driver for me getting out.

EODstads said:
A lot of it is boiling down to family time(or lack thereof) My wife and I have been married almost 2 years now and have been together for like 4 months of that. Things aren't really slowing down for EOD either which is a big driver for me getting out.

Roger that. I was married and divorced in my first two years in.

EODstads said:

I had 13 in when I made the decision. Driving Submarines was a blast. The people that I led were the best in the world. I was proud to Defend MY Country, but I had done my time and family was too important! I enjoyed the Navy, but I don't regret leaving. I am happily married now 24 years and have 8 wonderful children.

God Bless you for your service and Best Wishes on whatever your decision.

I got out to spend more time with family and friends, maybe get married. Then I became a cop, which sort of compromised. I still worked nights, weekends, holidays, missing family events. But I never had to stay at work for weeks at a time anymore. And I still retired at 48.

I figure I have had my fun and made my lifelong friends and now it is time to grow a beard and do what I want for a little while (brewing)

US Navy Chief. Still active and hit 20 years this summer.

P-3C Orion Flight Engineer

SFWD Fallon, VP-47, VP-4, VPU-2, VP-30, VP-62 currently

US Navy Chief. Still active and hit 20 years this summer.

P-3C Orion Flight Engineer

SFWD Fallon, VP-47, VP-4, VPU-2, VP-30, VP-62 currently

Fellow Gold Swordsman. 99-2002, 2005-2008

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cheers to you and cheers to me
To long lost ones who live in thee
To our country we do give and serve
Freedom is a choice we do preserve

God embrace the sacrifice
Our grand folks gave us for a free way of life
They all gave some and some gave all
No sacrifice to big or small

Cheers! To those young and old
Who still make our country bold!!!!

In remembrance of those who gave their all
I hold my hand to my heart and stand up tall
In remembrance of those who gave their all
I celebrate those who serve our country's call

Thank you. Army, Coastguard, Air force, Navy, and Marines,
and to the families who are sometimes un-seen...

To you from the USA you do protect
Truly know you have our love, thanks, and respect

-DD

Memorial Day

you can always count on Linus to know the true meaning of a holiday, but he skips what I think is the most important part of the poem

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
the Dead have given all, they are counting on us to continue the eternal struggle for Freedom and if we don't, if we break that faith, their sacrifice will have been for nothing.

be sure to remember that during this 3-day weekend. it's OK to enjoy the fun and sun, bbqs and beaches. that's what Liberty is. the best way to honor those who have sacrificed their lives in defense of our Freedoms is to exercise those Freedoms.

y'all enjoy the long weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:
6 years - USMC, 2651, Intel Comms
7 years - USAF, Airborne Command Post Comms
1 year - USAF, COMSEC
6 years - USAF, Tech Controller

Never regretted and would do it all over again...

Take time to reflect on our fellow vet friends that can't be with us this weekend and enjoy our freedoms to their fullest.

6 years - USMC, 2651, Intel Comms
7 years - USAF, Airborne Command Post Comms
1 year - USAF, COMSEC
6 years - USAF, Tech Controller

Never regretted and would do it all over again...

Take time to reflect on our fellow vet friends that can't be with us this weekend and enjoy our freedoms to their fullest.

To friends present and past

75-77 11D Cav Scout
3/11 ACR, Blackhorse Regiment ,Bad Hersfeld, Germany
Cold war border patrols, manning 1K zone observation towers Fulda Gap region
and drinking the finest german beers .

Army Finance
1990 - 1993, XVIII Airborne, 126th Finance Battalion
1994 - 1996, 266th Theater Finance Command, 208th Finance Battaltion

Old thread but here goes anyway..... Initially a 2 year enlistment, extended 18 months. Army 36K, HHB 2/62 and then HHB 1/1, Spangdahlem Air Base, Spangdahlem, West Germany 1983-86

82nd Airborne DIV, 782nd MSB, parachute rigger. Spent every minute in service missing my family, spent every minute since wishing I could've stayed. Discharged on medical grounds, been readjusting to civiie life since dec 17, 2013.

Jeez, where do I start?!

Joined in 1988,
1989-1992: USS RANGER CV61 (Desert Shield/Storm)
1992-1995: PSD Idaho Falls ID
1995 - present: drilling Reservist in Minneapolis
2007 - Bagram

Plan on retiring after 28+ years at the end of the year as a Master Chief. Maybe I'll have some time to upgrade my control box and brew more? Will sure be nice to have all my weekends back!

Thanks all for your service!

20 years in the Army Corps of Engineers, retired as a Lieutenant Colonel, 1978-1998. Met my wife at Fort Leonard Wood when i was a company commander - she's an Army Nurse and also retired as a LTC. It doesn't matter that she has date of rank on me, she'll always out-rank me! Hawaii, Kansas, Colorado, Germany are a few of our duty stations…

Thanks to all that have served, are serving now and will defend this great country in the future.

Back