Vessel sizing for 5g or 10g batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad2157

Reaction score
Currently have a 10g Spike kettle that I have been using for extract and BIAB. Just purchased a blichmann top tier stand with burners. Looking to upgrade to a 3 vessel all-grain brewing method. I will be doing mostly 5g batches for now, but will eventually move to 10g batches. I just ordered a 15g spike brewing kettle with false bottom to use as a mash tun. Should I also get two more 15g kettles to use as a HLT and BK? I know the BK may be pushing it to use because of the hot break, but I am not sure a 20g pot would be good to move up to, given my batch size. I'm thinking a15g kettle could work for the BK on 10g batches with some close attention.

Looking for some insight and thoughts on this. This will be my first go at full all-grain and I want to make this purchase one that I won't regret in 6 months and can keep brewing away with these kettles.

fwiw, Blichmann recommends 15 gallon HLT and MLT and 20 gallon BK for 10 gal batches.
Seems like a big cushion but when you include enough wort to account for long boil-offs the extra free-board may be welcome...

Cheers!

It's late and I'm tired so bear wit me.

You can use your 10g spike for your HLT. 10 g of sparge water should b plenty for a 10g batch of any gravity. I don't know if you r using 2 or 3 burners but if three you can heat strike water in the MLT and fill the HLT while that heats.

You should have no problem with a 10 15 15 for 10g the next step would b 15 15 20+ for 15g.

Big pots, big burners, and don't forget big hoses and chillers. At the same time don't forget about the back to back brew.

I bought a bayou 1064 (15 gallon) kettle for induction biab, and it is plenty big enough for 10 gallon batches, especially if you sparge using another vessel (ie my old 5 gallon pot). I too have been thinking of going to a 3 vessel system, and my biggest concern is how well the vessels will match. 15 gallon pots are large enough for 10 gallon batches, just look at all the guys who use old sanke kegs..... I personally will just upgrade to the same pot that I already have. Just my 2 cents. For what it costs to have a system like that, it just as well look good eh?

fwiw, Blichmann recommends 15 gallon HLT and MLT and 20 gallon BK for 10 gal batches.
Seems like a big cushion but when you include enough wort to account for long boil-offs the extra free-board may be welcome...

Cheers!

I originally setup my system to do 5.5 gallon batches and bought a 16 gallon boil kettle. Time passed... I now do mainly 11 gallon batches and I have to say that my 16 gallon boil kettle is only marginally acceptable for the larger batch size. I definitely would go with the 20 gallon BK, especially if you're eventually planning to scale up from making 5 to 10 gallon batches.

I bought a bayou 1064 (15 gallon) kettle for induction biab, and it is plenty big enough for 10 gallon batches, especially if you sparge using another vessel (ie my old 5 gallon pot). I too have been thinking of going to a 3 vessel system, and my biggest concern is how well the vessels will match. 15 gallon pots are large enough for 10 gallon batches, just look at all the guys who use old sanke kegs..... I personally will just upgrade to the same pot that I already have. Just my 2 cents. For what it costs to have a system like that, it just as well look good eh?

to end up with 10G batch, you probably want 11.5-12G or so into fermentor (so after fermentation losses and the trub you can get 10G). Which means you start the boil with 13G, maybe closer to 14G, depending on your boil-off and how much hot break material you leave in the kettle.

That may be ok for 15G kettle, but it may lead to boil-overs.

My rule of thumb is kettle that is 1.7-2.0 times your kegged batch size.

Back