Belgian Dubbel Vespers Abbey Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let this batch go 5 weeks in fermenter due to holiday travel. Last Friday I measured 1.008 FG. OG was 1.067. 7.5% ABV. After 1 week the Gravity was 1.010. Measured by hydrometer. Aroma of cherries. Will take close to 2 weeks for complete forced carbonation in kegs. Made 9.65 gallons based on 8.34 lb/gal and weighing the kegs. Kegs are 9 lb empty. Corny kegs, ball lock type.

First tasting after 5 weeks in primary fermenter and 2 weeks forced carbonation in 5 gal corny keg: raisiny aroma comes through after allowing to warm some. Unusually, carbonation fades almost immediately after pouring.

Brewing this in a few days, adding a pound of pilsner to make sure I hit my OG, and subbing Mount Hood for the Tett cause I have it on hand. Can't wait! Making the candy sugar tomorrow!

Good luck slohiker. I am brewing my third different dubbel this weekend. I am hesitant to make my own candi syrup again. This recipe did not turn out right flavor-wise. Flat, and I know the candi I made was not right. So, to not run into trouble like that so soon again I will use the pre-made 180 deg L.

Another issue I have with this beer is the foam dissipates immediately. weird. Only thing I can think of is this time I did not rinse away the star san out of the kegs. Just drained kegs really well, let foam dissipate, drained again. I thought star san was a no rinse sanitizer, and 'don't fear the foam" and all that I have heard people saying about when they sanitize their carboy fermenters. Any thoughts if a thin film of star san in a keg can cause foam to dissipate? I believe that PBW would do that if not rinsed thoroughly.

Thanks, Ron, I really have no idea on the foam issue as I only bottle.
I made the candy syrup and had a bit of trouble as well... It turned out deep red like wine, but I didn't raise the temp back up to 240 or stir in the water so well, so I ended up with 1/2 a mason jar of sweet red water, and half with rock hard sugar that I couldn't get out for the life of me. Eh, oh well. I'll post tasting notes when its done!

Back