Very occasional bubbling in the blow-off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyShootist

Reaction score
OK, I know the Hydrometer tells all but I was wondering about very intermittent bubbling coming through the blow-off tube.

I have a batch of Wheat beer in the primary and it's been there for a little over a week (9 days). About every 1 1/2 mins it gurgles a few bubbles out. I'll take a Hydro reading to be sure but I am pretty certain fermentation is done. I am wondering what causes the intermittent bubbling? Is this simply CO2 escaping from the dead-space in the primary? Could fermentation still be chugging along, albeit slowly?

Just wondering
TC

What was your OG, and what is your most recent gravity reading? Hard to say anything without knowing those.

Also, what were your fermentation temps like?

OG was around 1.056 and fermenting temps around 65-70F. Haven't taken a final reading just yet. Getting ready to do that in a bit. I am hoping to see the FG around 1.010-1.005.

I'd let it ride for another week...

I just bottled my Belgian Wit after 17 days in the primary.

Just took another Hydro reading. 1.0055 so I racked into my secondary with 3lbs of Peach puree.

So far everything looks OK. I'll probalby bottle in 2 weeks just to give the beer time to soak up some peachness. :)

I like to move to secondary if it is still bubbling (infrequently) so that it purges out any O2 i introduce in the transfer. having said that, the sugars from your fruit will restart a few yeasties and you will see some activity in your airlock again because of it.

Back