Very low calcium in water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly224

Reaction score
So I just started looking into water profiles and the water I am using to brew with.

In addition to the chart below I emailed them for a full report and the ph is 5.2 and magnesium is 1. There is a whole bunch more info on the full report but I am not really sure whats relevant yet.

These numbers below seem very low unless I am reading this wrong. If I just try to raise the calcium to start with will that improve my brewing? I see everywhere says you should be over 50 min.

Elements Tested 2017 - 2018
Coliform Bacteria Absent/0
Barium <.4 mg/L
Calcium/CaC03 5 mg/L
Chloride < 2 mg/L
Chromium <.02 mg/L
Color < 5 color units
Copper <.001 mg/L
Fluoride <.1 mg/L
Iron < .02 mg/L
Lead <.001 mg/L
Manganese <.005 mg/L
Mercury <.0004 mg/L
Nickel <.005 mg/L
Nitrogen, Nitrate < 2 mg/L
Nitrogen, Nitrite <.2 mg/L
Selenium <.01 mg/L
Sodium 2.4 mg/L
Sulfate <2 mg/L
TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) 25 mg/L

It appears you are reading the report correctly. The TDS of 25 ppm is quite low. Some RO has higher TDS than that. You need to convert that calcium value from its 'as CaCO3' value to a true concentration. The alkalinity is probably also low.

Decent starting point for brewing.

So i
It appears you are reading the report correctly. The TDS of 25 ppm is quite low. Some RO has higher TDS than that. You need to convert that calcium value from its 'as CaCO3' value to a true concentration. The alkalinity is probably also low.

So its even lower than 5? Damn I have been brewing with this for a while now. I definitely need to start adding to this. Time to research that I guess!

Do you know the calculator to convert CaCO3 to the value I want? I have been searching but have not found a great answer.

Edit: Nvm I found it in your spread sheet! Thats amazing!! I will purchase the full version when I can.

Last edited:
Back