Very light colered stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman52

Reaction score
I can't seem to find or it does not seem that no one has an idea of a beer we had in Cincinnati called Sir Edward Stout made buy the Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co. So I am kind of looking to see if I can maybe make it with an extract. I have no ides if it can be done. The stout was very creamy with a creamy head not real bitter about a medium to a light hop taste. It was a very light brown or amber you could just see the color, it was a 5% beer. actually had a very light sweet state. Any suggestion.
Thanks

With extract, you'd start with light extract and add specialty grains. The problem is the sorts of grains that make it a stout (roasted barley, chocolate malt, black patent) add darkness as well. You could use caramel malts and a few others, but how would you get roastiness without darkness? I don't know.

Hudepohl is a very old regional brewery. I'm wondering whether this beer was truly a stout.

ADD: bit of googling suggests it was Schoenling Sir Edward Stout. Someone wrote that it was "stout" in the sense of being stronger in alcohol, but an actual (dark) stout. I don't know myself.

Sir-Edward-Stout-Beer-Labels-Schoenling-Brewing-Company_47753-1.jpg

I agree..you can call any beer anything you like, doesn't make it so however.
What your describing doesn't sound like a stout to me...or anything I would call a stout anyway...Stouts traditionally have to be dark or they are called something else.
Porters on the other hand have a much broader color range and could fit the bill of what your describing.

Adding your light extract toward the end of the boil with a partial mash of some mouth-feel grains such as Carilpis or wheat or oat malts might get you in the ball park of what your after.

Was the beer clear or cloudy?

The beer was clear with a light tint of brown. I am also kind of wondering if it was a real stout also or just a good sounding name they came up with. Most likely that. It was still a good beer one of the better ones you could find in Cincinnati at the time.

Back