Very hoppy IPA, recipe seach

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Progger

Reaction score
Finally I managed to fix my equipment to be able to filter all the trub from the kettle into the fermenter with the least hassle possible. So now I can brew beers (6 Gall) with more than just 2 oz of hops. Being the hops impossible to filter with my old system.

Anyway. I just made a few attempts at an IPA with 5.5 oz of hops for 6 gallons batches. The grist was 12.66 pounds of barley (2 row and 5% of Vienna). US-05 yeast.

I tried to use the most neutral barley and a typical yeast to not steal any flavor from the hops. The hop schedule was:

´60: 1 oz Columbus
´50: .5 oz Centennial
´40: .5 oz Centennial
´30: .5 oz Centennial
´20: .5 oz Centennial
´10: .5 oz Cascade
´5 : 1 oz Cascade
´0: 1 oz Cascade

I expected a lot more bitterness and hoppiness but I got what I think is just a hoppy APA. I expected all those Hoppy flavors a lot more intensively than what I got. Also, the smell was almost none. I know dry hopping would have helped but I got I think less smell than when you add 1 oz at ´60 and another oz at ´10.

I don´t understand. Some IPA recipes suggest even less hops. I probably got an IPA but I want one of those IN YOUR FACE IPA. Am I short of Hops?. What should I do?.

My OG was around 1.052 average.

I made probably 4 batches trying different hops and schedules. Another approach was concentrating more hops at the end of the boil, like this:

´60: 1 oz Columbus
´30: .5 oz Centennial
'10: .5 oz Centennial
´5 : 1.5 oz Cascade
'0: 1.5 oz Cascade

The smell didn´t improve this way and I think the flavor was even weaker than with the schedule in the original post. :confused::confused:

Have you tried a single flavor addition at 20 minutes? I'd make it big with 2oz. or so. Hop flavor seems to shine the best at about the 20 minute mark. Another ounce or 2 at flameout for some aroma.

Have you tried a single flavor addition at 20 minutes? I'd make it big with 2oz. or so. Hop flavor seems to shine the best at about the 20 minute mark. Another ounce or 2 at flameout for some aroma.

So, you think I can get more flavor if I add hops at ´20 rather than within the last 10 minutes?. It makes sense I guess, based on this experience and on some other places where people start hopping more heavily starting at minute 15.

I brewed a beer recently aiming at an APA. with an

´80: 1 oz of Columbus.
´40: .5 oz of N. Brewer
´30: .5 oz of N. Brewer
´10: 1.0 oz of Centennial
´10: .5 oz of Cascade

I´ll bottle this week, let´s see what it tastes like.

I do a FWH or 60 minute bittering then everything else under 20 minutes. 60, 20. 10. 5. 0 and a very generous dry hop schedule. My 6 gallon brews usually sit around 85-95 IBU's with this schedule and depending , of course, on the type and amount of hops used.

So, you think I can get more flavor if I add hops at ´20 rather than within the last 10 minutes?. It makes sense I guess, based on this experience and on some other places where people start hopping more heavily starting at minute 15.

Exactly! I typically refer to this graph. I'm not sure exactly how accurate it is but I believe it is pretty close.

hop utilazition.jpg

justhops said:
This. Forget all the 50, 40 and 30 minute additions 60 minute for bittering 20 for flavor flameout for flavor and aroma dry hop for aroma. This works well I find

Also, make sure for the flameout addition that you're steeping the hops for a bit (~20 min) before you start chilling. The technique is referred to as an aroma steep and it is a rough approximation of what pro brewers refer to as whirlpool hops. As the name implies it contributes a good deal of hop aroma to the beer.

Oh man !. I´ve been doing many things wrong just for lack of a little previous research. Those 1.5 Oz at minute 5 have been a waste flavor wise.

I´ve also been wasting my flameout hops since I start chilling right after ´0

Thanks a lot for this valuable info, guys !

Oh man !. I´ve been doing many things wrong just for lack of a little previous research. Those 1.5 Oz at minute 5 have been a waste flavor wise.

I´ve also been wasting my flameout hops since I start chilling right after ´0

Thanks a lot for this valuable info, guys !

I wouldn't go by that chart in terms of where flavor starts and ends. Basically, any amount of time you boil the hops, the character immediately starts to change. Sometimes for the better (up to a point), and sometimes for the worst.

I like my IPA's with Warrior (or any other "clean" bittering hop) for the main IBU addition, and add purely for flavor and aroma from that point. I like doing flavor at 15 mins max, but usually a bit less.

I recently made an IPA with this hop profile, and it was pretty amazing:
1.065 OG
70 IBUs

1oz Warrior - 60mins
.5oz Chinook, .5oz Columbus - 8mins
.5oz Chinook, .5oz Columbus, - 3mins
1oz Chinook, 1oz Columbus, 1oz Pacific Jade - Post Boil (added in the 170's)
1.5oz Chinook, 1.5oz Columbus, 1oz Pacific Jade - Dry Hop

I like having a combination of boiling hop character mixed with the flavor boost of the post-boil additions. Post boil has a "fresh" character plus aroma that you don't get from boiling them - but boiling brings out a certain bite to the flavor that is nice.

I would recommend experimenting with various hop schedules. Try all different ways and see what it does for you.

I'm curious about "post boil" additions. You say you add them at 170F; how long are they in the wort? I.e., I assume you're chilling immediately after flameout; if so, how much time does it take to go from 170F to pitch time?

Thanks!

curtw said:
I'm curious about "post boil" additions. You say you add them at 170F; how long are they in the wort? I.e., I assume you're chilling immediately after flameout; if so, how much time does it take to go from 170F to pitch time? Thanks!
Google hop stand

I'm curious about "post boil" additions. You say you add them at 170F; how long are they in the wort? I.e., I assume you're chilling immediately after flameout; if so, how much time does it take to go from 170F to pitch time?

Thanks!

I cool initially just by gentle stirring. Once the wort is in the 170's, I add the hops. I start cooling about 5 minutes after adding them. You don't need to let the hops steep for more than a few minutes - it's plenty hot for the oils to go into solution.

EDIT: Just a few minutes for pellet hops, but leaf hops should get a bit more time. I don't filter anything from my kettle, so I use pellets. I would give leaf hops 5-10 minutes to make sure to get all the oils.

Back