Very high fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyBier

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gal of blueberry wheat yesterday. I used 2 packs of Safale US-05 rehydrated. Wort was 68F when I pitched. Then, like a dummy, I put a space heater near it and covered it (my conical) with a blanket. To my chagrin, I woke up this morning and the temp was 93F!! It wasn't fermenting and I assumed I killed the yeasties. At lunch I went to LHBS and grabbed another couple of packets of US-05, went home to re-pitch and it had cooled to 85F and was bubbling away pretty vigorously.

So how bad will this screw up my beer? I don't mind esters but fusel alcohol? What does fusel alcohol taste like?

I brewed 10 gal of blueberry wheat yesterday. I used 2 packs of Safale US-05 rehydrated. Wort was 68F when I pitched. Then, like a dummy, I put a space heater near it and covered it (my conical) with a blanket. To my chagrin, I woke up this morning and the temp was 93F!! It wasn't fermenting and I assumed I killed the yeasties. At lunch I went to LHBS and grabbed another couple of packets of US-05, went home to re-pitch and it had cooled to 85F and was bubbling away pretty vigorously.

So how bad will this screw up my beer? I don't mind esters but fusel alcohol? What does fusel alcohol taste like?

fusels smell sort of like acetone or isopropanol, like a solventy aroma. I would think the batch is ruined, but you never know. see what happens when it's done. if you have space, you could try letting the beer age a LONG time and it might come around some. interested to hear if it is ruined after that deviation!

Fusels taste like rubbing alcohol.

If they are there they are also likely to give you a headache if you decide to drink it.

I assumed I killed the yeasties.

What does fusel alcohol taste like?

The optimal temperature for yeast growth is around 85-90F, and ale yeast can survive over 100F - think of them surviving on tree bark etc in the wild. We only ferment at lower temperatures in order to avoid off-flavours.

Fusels are solventy, they do condition out to some extent. See how it goes, it may not be fatal.

Incidentally, these days Fermentis recommend you don't rehydrate, just sprinkle directly.

Update on the 93F starting fermentation temp wheat ale:

It's actually quite good. Definitely not a dumper. I may have smelled a strong-ish alcohol smell right before kegging but I've made worse beer. No off flavors, pretty easy drinking.
So maybe I got the temp down fast enough? It seems like the yeast population was pretty healthy and produced an effective fermentation.

Back