Very bad sour taste, can you help identify?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieterVonBrauhaus

Reaction score
I brewed and kegged Northern Brew The Innkeeper LE Extract Kit recently as the kit recipe described.
This beer kit is described as: Spicy, herbal, and English biscuits. Flashes of clean citrus and chewy minerals blend into a complex finish that is refreshingly bitter and remarkably dry.

One thing I did after steeping the grains I started the boil put the grain bag over a bowl and let it drip. I started my 60 minute boil and let the bag drip over a bowl 10 minutes into the boil, I gave the bag a small squeeze and poured the contents of the bowl into the boiling wort. Everything else went fine, sanitized everything. OG was on point.

My keg was sitting with sanitizer for 2 weeks, so 2 weeks after the primary I siphoned it in the keg, purged the keg with Co2 three times and let it sit for two weeks.

Tried it the other day and noticed a sour pungent taste, first thought it was just green, so let it sit for another week. It still has a sour pungent taste.

Do you think i ruined it by adding the extra wort I got from the grain bag into the boiling wort or....?:confused:

No.

What kind of sanitizer did you use on the keg? Was the keg sealed with sanitizer for two weeks or open? Did you rinse keg after dumping the sanitizer?

Oh yeah sorry I use Star San and the keg was sitting in 5 gallons of it, sealed and purged twice and no I didnt rinse after dumping the sanitizer as it was sanitizer.

i dont care what anyone says... i rinse

it doesnt make since to leave that stuff in your beer... just my input

Rinsing defeates the whole purpose of using Star San. Might as well just use bleach if your going to rinse. STAR SAN WONT EFFECT THE TASTE OF YOUR BEER.

licenseless said:
i dont care what anyone says... i rinse

it doesnt make since to leave that stuff in your beer... just my input

Adding potential microbial bacteria via rinse water into a freshly sanitized environment makes sense to you, but following the manufacturer's instructions and millions of homebrewers suggestions by not rinsing a "no rinse" sanitizer doesn't?

DONT FEAR THE FOAM!

Most likely an infection. Before you dump it, move it to another tap to see if it is the beer or the lines and/or tap. I had a bad beer line that made everything taste sour. I replaced it and solved the problem.

im sorry guys...

i figured that would be the best way to prove a point...

its not the sanatizer

i am at gallon number 135 been brewing for a couple of years... and the first thing i hear from people who think they know what the off taste is from a beer is

What kind of sanitizer did you use on the keg? Was the keg sealed with sanitizer for two weeks or open? Did you rinse keg after dumping the sanitizer?

when in honesty the first question should have been... did your airlock blow off

i dont know about you guys but i see the same posts all the time on this forum... and even if its funny to me... i guess its mean to tell some one they should rinse there sanitizer hahahahahahahahahaha

The boil was perfect, added the LME as late addition. The ferment for two weeks went perfect. Can't remember off hand what FG was. Transfer to keg went well without oxidizing. Purged the keg three times on 30 psi. then set for 10 psi for one day to get cold then raised to 30 psi for one day then lowered psi to 12 and set

nope...

since your making it sound like everything went great... so i couldnt tell ya... but... if you get john palmers book... in the back he has a taste guide that will tell you what the possible problem is

when in honesty the first question should have been... did your airlock blow off

i dont know about you guys but i see the same posts all the time on this forum... and even if its funny to me... i guess its mean to tell some one they should rinse there sanitizer hahahahahahahahahaha

Jesus man. I was asking because without him providing any information on his process maybe he DID rise and that's the problem. That's what I was after, not the other way around. You don't have to go all "I know everything and you're just a stupid a-hole". I thought we were supposed to be supporting each other on this forum not insulting one another. But what the hell do I know...

Rinsing defeates the whole purpose of using Star San. Might as well just use bleach if your going to rinse.
I use bleach, and I rinse with distilled water. I gallon at 99 cents is enough for me to rinse everything on a brew day. My experience is very limited, only 5 batches, but I am glad so far.

You sanitized the keg, but how did you clean it? Kegs have tons of little areas where a bit of solid matter can hide. You can't sanitize a keg until it is thoroughly clean. I fully break down all my keg, PBW soak, rinse, and then soak w/ starsan. Never had an infection.

Jesus man. I was asking because without him providing any information on his process maybe he DID rise and that's the problem. That's what I was after, not the other way around. You don't have to go all "I know everything and you're just a stupid a-hole". I thought we were supposed to be supporting each other on this forum not insulting one another. But what the hell do I know...

wow... your right... i went all a hole on here...

does anyone else on this forum drink beer and have a since of humor... i thought this was a beer forum...

my bad i guess this smiley needs to go away :tank:

sarcasim is all across the internet man... get used to it or get out

Back