[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the log said,

1Wire Temperature Thread 1 is Running
Unable to Run 1Wire Temperature
1Wire Temperature: The channel sent is invalid on a Raspberry Pi
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/www/html/python/FlowMonitor.py", line 800, in run
pinState = self.dispatch.readpin(statePins[probeName])
File "/var/www/html/python/PintDispatch.py", line 699, in readpin
value = GPIO.input(pin)
ValueError: The channel sent is invalid on a Raspberry Pi

Which I assume means that the pin is wrong (pin4) ? But it was running, and now isn't. As a check, I set the pin to 7, and it told me in the logs it wasn't set up.

Cheers

Which I assume means that the pin is wrong (pin4) ?
that error is specifically from the update that adds the ability to track the state of pins when the temperature is logged so you can tell if something is on or off at the specific temp. If you do not care to track that the state pin for the temp probe should be 0.

The state pin is not the pin the temp probe is on that is set in a Pi one-wire config file and usually not changed

Please help...

So my RasPi died. I am getting tons of errors so I think it is done for.

I have my entire keg inventory (25+ kegs) in my old version. Is there any way to transfer this to a new RasPi?

Attachments

• 6CA1C696-F9A2-4BFD-AC7F-07700034045C.jpeg
    6CA1C696-F9A2-4BFD-AC7F-07700034045C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Please help...

I have my entire keg inventory (25+ kegs) in my old version. Is there any way to transfer this to a new RasPi?
Won't it all be there if you just take the SD card with RPints on it and pop it into the new RPi?

kxavier_23 said:
Please help...

If you suspect it's the hardware, then you will be able to pull the SD card and place it in your new RPi. (Just remember the new RPi will have a different MAC, so to access, it will most likely be on another IP)

If it's the SD Card that is corrupt, well....extracting the DB (if possible) is what you would need to do. If you're able to extract the DB. Once you install RPints on a new card, you could import your old DB and have all your data.

Tried a different RPi and same errors.

Anything special to extract the DB? I thought I saw some older threads on this topic but having trouble finding them. I am able to access the SD card directly. Just not sure what I need to copy etc. Beyond the DB the config file seems important.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
var/lib/mysql is where the db resides on a typical install. Unfortunately, I don't think it's as easy as copying the DB folder and saving it on the new SD card. (maybe it is)

I've never done it before...but I would imagine in the mysql/raspberrypints DB folder there is a file ending with a .sql

I would save that file to my local drive. Once RPints is installed, navigate to your phpmyadmin website, and import the .sql file you just saved to your hard drive. Again, I'm not certain what files reside in that DB folder, but that's where I would start.

Once you're up and running on a new card, we'll get you to write a CRON task in order to save your DB on a daily basis so you don't have to go through this again.

var/lib/mysql is where the db resides on a typical install. Unfortunately, I don't think it's as easy as copying the DB folder and saving it on the new SD card. (maybe it is)

I've never done it before...but I would imagine in the mysql/raspberrypints DB folder there is a file ending with a .sql

I would save that file to my local drive. Once RPints is installed, navigate to your phpmyadmin website, and import the .sql file you just saved to your hard drive. Again, I'm not certain what files reside in that DB folder, but that's where I would start.

Once you're up and running on a new card, we'll get you to write a CRON task in order to save your DB on a daily basis so you don't have to go through this again.

I’m not seeing that folder structure at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
what I did when I set up my RPi was to enable ssh and ftp... as long as I know the IP I can access the RPi, works great... should say I'm on Mac OS X 11.4

what I did when I set up my RPi was to enable ssh and ftp... as long as I know the IP I can access the RPi, works great... should say I'm on Mac OS X 11.4

Yep, would agree that having SSH enabled is a must. However, I think the @kxavier_23 issue is SD card related and keeping the Pi from booting, so the only access he can hope for is a card reader attached to a computer, and if it’s a Windows computer, he’ll need to grab a program to access the partition he needs to get to.

Yep, would agree that having SSH enabled is a must. However, I think the @kxavier_23 issue is SD card related and keeping the Pi from booting, so the only access he can hope for is a card reader attached to a computer, and if it’s a Windows computer, he’ll need to grab a program to access the partition he needs to get to.

You’re 100% correct.

It appears the SD card is too corrupt to read. I’ll start from scratch 😔

Please send the CRON DB backup job and details.

Please send the CRON DB backup job and details.

This is how I do it...I run a cron job to save my DB to my RPints SD card. I then run a second job that syncs my saved DB to a drive that resides on another RPi.

Code:
sudo crontab -e

Code:
0 1 * * * sudo /usr/bin/mysqldump -uYourDBuserName -pYourDBpassword raspberrypints > /home/pi/pathtofile/raspberrypints-$(date +\%F).sql

The above job will save a file that looks similar to: raspberrypints-2021-07-18.sql in /home/pi/pathtofile/ and it will do so at 1am every day.

Code:
5 1 * * * sudo rsync -aur /home/pi/pathtofile/ /media/myNAS/FlashDrive/RaspberryPints/database/ -mtime

at 1:05am everyday, I backup all my .sql files located at /home/pi/pathtofile to another drive (/media/myNAS/FlashDrive/RaspberryPints/database/). Again, my drive that I back-up to is on another RPI. You could easily plug in a FlashDrive into your RPi that is running RPints and back-up to that. The RPi will automount a flashdrive, but I would recommend that you manually mount the drive to your chosen path.

Here's tutorial on how to mount a drive.
https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-mount-usb-drive/
You can save yourself my redundancy. If you go the route of a FlashDrive mounted to your RPints RPi you could run one cron job that looks something like:

Code:
0 1 * * * sudo /usr/bin/mysqldump -uYourDBuserName -pYourDBpassword raspberrypints > /mymountdrive/pathtofile/raspberrypints-$(date +\%F).sql

So i am still getting ghost pours (anyone bored yet?).
The latest change from Randr eliminated all pours above 600ml, and the start count eliminates everything below 200ml, but still i get some ghosts in between theese values.

So the only issue i can think of that i have not done anything with is the tubing itself, i use Evabarrier 4mm (5/32") ID, as short as possible and with the flowmeters locked horizontal at a low point, regulating the flow with adjustable ball locks on the kegs.

What are the tubing setup for those of you that have this working?

What’s you setup like on the meters? i.e. push in or barb type?

I accidentally ordered the barb type and used a heat gun to get them over the barbs. Had all kinds of issues with excess foam and pour issues. Come to find out, I needed to add clamps over the hoses. Never leaked, but was definitely not sealed tight enough.

So i am still getting ghost pours (anyone bored yet?).
The latest change from Randr eliminated all pours above 600ml, and the start count eliminates everything below 200ml, but still i get some ghosts in between theese values.

So the only issue i can think of that i have not done anything with is the tubing itself, i use Evabarrier 4mm (5/32") ID, as short as possible and with the flowmeters locked horizontal at a low point, regulating the flow with adjustable ball locks on the kegs.

What are the tubing setup for those of you that have this working?
Im using 4mm Evabarrier tubing. I have no issues with ghost pours etc. I have about 300mm of tube then the flow meter then 2 metres of tube coiled up before going into my tap shanks.

Just realized another thing; after putting in a temp probe (in a glass of water) i discovered that the temp in the fridge differs a LOT, a whopping 9.5°C from the highest (9,5) to the lowest (0.0) temp i have seen on the screen whit the fridge being closed all the time.
Could that be my problem?

Can i change the internal controller with a stc-1000 to get it more stable?

Wow! An internal temp swing of 9.5C would have to wreak havoc on your carb levels, I would imagine.

if you don’t have a fan in your keg chamber, you may want to start there. Maybe something as simple as air movement can help stabilize your keg chamber temp.

I can try that, can a Pi power a fan by itself?

I dont think the kegs them self have that big temp difference, but it is noticable differences when pouring.

According to our favorite carbonation table, if one allows for a constant 11 psi, a 17°F swing from say 36°F to 53°F provides enough scope to change the carbonation level from 2.57 to 1.89 volumes - given enough time at the "poles" to establish equilibrium.

Obviously those extremes would never be reached, but it illustrates the system is in flux trying to shed and then absorb CO2 with the significant temperature changes. So, yeah, that would be something to fix.

fwiw, I run my keezer at 37°F +/- 1°F...

Cheers!

I have just run through the installation of raspberry pints. When the box came up to choose monitor size, the size for the screen I am using wasn’t an option so I chose the closest one to see what would happen….
Now I have a white stripe down the right hand side of the screen and the bottom of the screen is cut off. How do I rectify this please? My screen is 1024x600. I have it set to portrait orientation, and I need to fit 6 taps on the screen (at the moment I have 4 and a bit showing) Thanks in advance.

How do I rectify this please? My screen is 1024x600.
I had to do a little digging to find the settings. I did not test them myself

Using elevated privilege's (i.e. sudo vim or sudo nano)
Modify /boot/config.txt

change or add these settings:
hdmi_cvt=1024 600 60 3 0 0 0

hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87

then reboot

Just thinking out of the box here... is there a way to run a headless VLC at the same time as RPints? That way I can have a background stream playing music...

Think it's RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints

So I am using the following in my CRON job, and the .sql is creating, but is empty.

/usr/bin/mysqldump -urasberrypints -prasberrypints raspberrypints > /home/pi/DB_Backup/raspberrypints-$(date +\%F).sql

Also tried

/usr/bin/mysqldump -uRasberryPints -pRasberryPints raspberrypints > /home/pi/DB_Backup/raspberrypints-$(date +\%F).sql

How can I test that my DB uname and pass are correct? I assume if they are wrong, that could cause a 0

1627349642759.png

Oh boy! I need to pass you on to the next level of customer service.

HEY! That's pointing to Fermentrack! 🤣

also...I believe you need sudo privileges to do the sql dump. so it needs to be:

0 1 * * * sudo /usr/bin/mysqldump -uRasberryPints -pRasberryPints raspberrypints > /home/pi/DB_Backup/raspberrypints-$(date +\%F).sql

(that will run the job at 1am every day)

if you want to have it run at 10:15pm then it would look like
15 22 * * *

Last edited:
Oh boy! I need to pass you on to the next level of customer service.

HEY! That's pointing to Fermentrack! 🤣

also...I believe you need sudo privileges to do the sql dump. so it needs to be:

0 1 * * * sudo /usr/bin/mysqldump -uRasberryPints -pRasberryPints raspberrypints > /home/pi/DB_Backup/raspberrypints-$(date +\%F).sql

(that will run the job at 1am every day)

if you want to have it run at 10:15pm then it would look like
15 22 * * *

You were right... Too many RasPi running here :)

I was able to log in to phpmyadmin with the default username and pass. This is the actual script I am running in CRON. Just changing the minutes so I can test the file writing.

7 * * * * sudo /usr/bin/mysqldump -uRaspberrypints -pRaspberrypints raspberrypints > /home/pi/DB_Backup/raspberrypints-$(date +\%F).sql

The file is still 0 bytes

Via phpmyadmin, I was able to export the .sql and it is 23.4 MB, so something isn't right still.

I can see the DB name in the script is accurate too:

1627352590395.png

Last edited:
0B628533-5EDA-4A29-A977-E4AAC6991AAE.jpeg

the saved files will fluctuate but they aren’t that big.

it looks like you have the job written correctly, and you wrote the job using ‘sudo crontab -e’?

I guess make sure you have mysqldump in the /usr/bin/ directory.

Howdy gents, a couple of issues Im having with RPints and hoping someone could please help out?
(I have RANDR+ version)
1. Ive removed 2 fermenters I had in my fermenters list but they still show rotating with the clock? How do I remove them?

2. I keep getting this message to update Chromium but not sure how to do this?

Thanks gents..

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 9.10.22 pm.png

I have a strange one here, I just updated to the newest version or RandR+ and when I have the title bar turned on everything looks fine, but when I turn the title bar off (my preferred layout) all but one of the title headings turns off and the screen is misaligned.
Screenshot 2021-07-24 165710.jpg
Screenshot 2021-07-27 080042.jpg

Ive removed 2 fermenters I had in my fermenters list but they still show rotating with the clock? How do I remove them?
I just checked in a change to fix this and prevent deleted fermenters from showing.

You can rerun the installer to update or hit the get latest Rpints on the install page to update

Back