[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I did that, too. I used my old rpi and upgraded everything. I have done the rpi- update since my last post. When it starts, the power light comes on. The yellow/green light blinks once, then nothing.

Backup your image. Then do a fresh install on the microsd card. Let's see if you can get a fresh install to work. You may have a faulty pi.

Also what kind of microsd card did you get. It's recommended that you get the highest class card you can afford

So I loaded up a fresh NOOBS on an SD card and what do you? It worked. I guess it's time to do a fresh install. At least I can back up my old beers and kegs. Probably not a bad idea anyway. My Uno for my BrewPi caught fire a few days ago. Got a new one and can't get it programmed, so it's probably a good idea to do it all nice and clean. Hopefully it will all install faster with the Pi2!

On a side note, my alamode board doesn't want to sit nicely on top. It keeps popping off the pins. Anyone have any idea which pins are needed to connect? i may just wire them rather than have it plugged in on top.

Yikes! Unos On Fire? :eek:

I have two RPi2B systems with AlaModes and don't see how the two modules could ever separate on their own. That's 26 pins of contact normal force to overcome - probably in the pounds of force neighborhood.

Anyway, if you get R'Pints installed you can simply copy over your old database file and not have to do the whole export/import thing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6942432&postcount=1152

Cheers!

I know, right? Flames about 2" high. No idea what caused that unless the board touched my relay and caused it. No idea.

So anyway, I found I have to use Noobs 1.4.1 to get it to boot, so fresh install it is. Unfortunately, I can't get my wifi to work. It's the same adapter I used before on my RPI. on the RPI2 it can see my network but won't connect. It's an edimax wifi dongle. It's driving me crazy!!

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Put in the wrong network password. It's happily installing now.

Day_Tripper, I got rpints going. I booted up my old pi and followed your link for copying the databases, but I get permission errors. I tried to change the permissions of the folder /var/lib/mysql/ but it wouldn't let me.

On a side note, I can't get chromium to autostart, and I'm not sure about the no blank. I had to edit the LXDE-pi/autostart folder instead of the LXDE/autostart to get some of it working, but it doesn't launch chromium.

All of my systems are clones of a single image so common folders and files are owned by the same username - or root. I'd use something like WinSCP to inspect who owns the folders on each system and correct any differences.

Also, there might be a dependency on the user name you used when you installed MySQL on the two machines - if they're not the same perhaps that can cause issues.

As for the LXDE autostart, for newer Raspbian/LXDE installations you need to use the autostart file in the LXDE-pi tree, as you must have discovered. But as I don't autostart Chromium I don't know why you can't get it to launch from the same autostart file. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that...

Cheers!

[edit] You have to stop MySQL before replacing database files...

Slightly off-topic, though beer and music belong together! I've got RPints up and running (no flow meters), but in an attempt to multi-task my Pi I'd like to use it as an AirPlay receiver hooked up to a speaker near the kegerator. Is the Pi 2 B powerful enough to run both without significant performance droop? How about if/when I add flow meters?

has anyone had success with the pi2 and a vertical screen? i have it working no problem horizontal but when i switch it vertical the screen image gets distorted. if i then switch back to the pi1 with the same sd card with the adapter bc it is micro it works perfectly.

Mines in portrait mode if that's what you mean. I don't have any issues and I'm using a pi2. Did you change the screen layout in the settings or did you change the bits in the config file because that's what I did.

Day_tripper,

Back in version 1 you had a motion sensor to put your monitor in a "screen saver" mode. Have you done any more work on that? I found some information on putting the monitor in to an actual sleep mode and then waking it up again. But without using an actual screen saver for timing, I don't know how to program it. Here are the commands:

** Turn off
pi@raspberrypi - $ tvservice -o

** Turn on
pi@raspberrypi - $ tvservice -p
pi@raspberrypi - $ sudo chvt 9
pi@raspberrypi - $ sudo chvt 7

I was shocked to find it actually worked. It turns off the video port which allows the monitor to go to sleep. The next commands turn on the port and reset the video. Honestly, I don't know exactly what the commands do. I just found it while searching "tvservice raspberry pi". I had to do this through SSH, of course, since the monitor was off, but I was shocked when it came back on.

This has been discussed quite a bit in this thread.
If you go to this post you'll start at the latest iteration of the tvservice saga.
There's even an example program that replaces the functionality of my original sensor script that invokes the tvservice and chvt commands.

Short story: it works for some monitors, not others...

Cheers!

OK, now I am confident my motion detection script enabling HDMI signal enable/disable is working correctly. For the info of anyone not up to date on the thread there have been a few attempts to get the motion sensor to put the monitor in and out of sleep mode when no motion is detected from the sensor. I came up with the script below that has been working for me.

Anyone interested in giving it a try can simply backup the existing pir_run.py script in /home/pi and then paste in the code below.

@ day_trippr. I know you have not had much luck but I am curious is changing the order of the commands would work any better? My theory is changing to another Virtual Terminal before killing the HDMI signal may hopefully save the colour settings for your X session?

Hope this helps others trying to get their monitor in and out of sleep mode via the PIR.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import pwd,os
import time
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO

pir_pin = 7
GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
GPIO.setup(pir_pin, GPIO.IN)
global start_time
start_time=time.time()
sleep_threshold = 60
monitor_status = 1
cmd_sleep = 'chvt 6 && tvservice -o'
cmd_awake = 'tvservice -p && chvt 7'
time.sleep(10)

while 1:
    time.sleep(10)
    elapsed_time = time.time() - start_time
    print elapsed_time
    print monitor_status

# turn off monitor after the sleep threshold
    # monitor_status value avoids turning of HDMI signal if it is already off
    if elapsed_time > sleep_threshold and monitor_status == 1:
        print "Turning Off HDMI"
        monitor_status = 0
        os.system(cmd_sleep)

# turn monitor back on upon detection
    if GPIO.input(pir_pin) and monitor_status == 0:
        os.system(cmd_awake)
        print "Turning on HDMI"
        monitor_status = 1
        time.sleep(10)
        start_time=time.time()

if GPIO.input(pir_pin):
        start_time=time.time()
        print "Resetting elapsed time to keep monitor on while movement detected"
        time.sleep(10)

This works for me. I changed the sleep_threshold = 1800 to get 30 minutes. It took me a bit to figure out why it was going to sleep as soon as it booted up from a reboot. Now to uninstall xscreensaver. No need for that anymore! This is awesome! (Mostly because now my wife won't complain about the monitor being on all the time)

Thank you for writing this!!!

I finally busted out my kill-a-watt meter to measure the power consumption difference between being on and when the monitor goes into sleep mode using the latest pir script. I am powering both the monitor and R-pi from the same cable. Anyway, when the monitor is on it draws 42 watts. In sleep mode it goes down to 6 watts.

This works for me. I changed the sleep_threshold = 1800 to get 30 minutes. It took me a bit to figure out why it was going to sleep as soon as it booted up from a reboot. Now to uninstall xscreensaver. No need for that anymore! This is awesome! (Mostly because now my wife won't complain about the monitor being on all the time)

Thank you for writing this!!!

Glad to hear that you have been saved from the wrath of SWMBO [emoji3]

Ok, so i am brand new to doing anything in linux, so i am following the instructions on the raspberrypints site TO THE LETTER, and i have run into a problem. I am sure i did something wrong in my ignorance, but i have no clue what.

I have already set up one digital tap list, and it works great. Now i have put that microsd card away for safe keeping, and i am building a second, this time WITH flow meters. I am at step six, and i just downloaded the alamode-setup package from github, and i am trying to execute the following instructions:
Code:
From the command line, unpack and install it:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ tar -xvzf alamode-setup.tar.gz
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cd alamode-setup
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo ./setup

What i get in response is:
Code:
Bash: pi@raspberrypi: command not found

What am i doing wrong guys?

Looks like he was entering everything verbatim instead of what's after the command prompt.

So my pints v2 w/meters finally took a dump. I was running the original v2 install pre hotfix, but now as I'm going to rebuild the system from a fresh noobs install I'm going to install the hotfix. So my question is, have the install instructions on the raspberrypints site been updated to include the hotfix, or do I need to dig back through the thread to find those instructions?

So my pints v2 w/meters finally took a dump. I was running the original v2 install pre hotfix, but now as I'm going to rebuild the system from a fresh noobs install I'm going to install the hotfix. So my question is, have the install instructions on the raspberrypints site been updated to include the hotfix, or do I need to dig back through the thread to find those instructions?

They are pretty accurate. I followed them rebuilding mine this past month and the only place I got screwed up is that now the autorun (which turns off the screen blanking and launches chromium) is now in LXDE-pi or someplace like that. Everything else should run smoothly

So i have run through the build process twice, from a freshly formatted SD card each time. I have not had any errors during the build. Both times, on "Step 9: Configure Pi Hardware For Flow Meters W/Flow Meters" i reach the point of issuing the following command:
Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start $ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py
Which should return the following:
Code:
pi 3508 0.0 0.9 8796 4112 ? S 15:35 0:00 /usr/bin/python 
/home/pi/raspberrypints/python/flow_monitor.py 
pi 3558 0.0 0.1 3548 808 pts/0 S+ 15:43 0:00 
grep –color=auto flow_monitor.py

NOTHING happens!
No errors, no response, nothing, just a command prompt.

Can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong?

Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start $ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py

should actually be entered as
Code:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start 
$ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py

to get the expected results.

But rather than deal with deciphering the result, use these commands instead:

Start the service:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start

Check the service:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon status

Stop the service:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop

Obviously, give the middle one a try.

And for extra credit, add these to your .bash_aliases file (you'll find it under the root folder for the 'pi' account - ie: /home/pi/.bash_aliases):

Code:
alias flowstart='sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start'
alias flowstat='sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon status'
alias flowstop='sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop'

Cheers!

My Raspberry Pints has been working beautifully until tonight..... I rebooted because my wifi wasn't connecting and it started up with this message "can't access tty:job control turned off".
Did my SD card crash? I have googled the problem, and it says something about the pi going into safe mode...but I can't figure out what I am supposed to do other than format and start all over. I don't want to format and start over and have it still be effed up.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

So my RPints has been down for over a year (been too busy with life to get things nack up and running). Before this I had everything up and running without an issue. So I did a fresh install of NOOBS and when I got to enter the new password for 'Pi' is doesnt let me type anything. So i just skip the step and continue with everything else and restart after completing that screen. When it comes back and goes thru its start up, the screen goes blank. So i click to see if its sleeping and Sketch opens up, so i close the program and then the Pi begins to shut down.

I went thru this same iteration 4 or 5 times last night on multiple SD cards. HELP!!! Need to have my list back up and running for a party this weekend. Thanks

[...]So I did a fresh install of NOOBS and when I got to enter the new password for 'Pi' is doesnt let me type anything. So i just skip the step and continue with everything else and restart after completing that screen. When it comes back and goes thru its start up, the screen goes blank. So i click to see if its sleeping and Sketch opens up, so i close the program and then the Pi begins to shut down.[...]

I have to believe that the step you're skipping is the one that's eventually holding you up.
Why it won't accept input is the baffling part, but it's been almost two years since I did a full Raspian install (I did use the NOOBS kit of the time).

iirc, the default user at the time was 'pi' and the default password was 'raspberry'.

btw, why go through the whole total-rebuild thing?
Did your RPi not want to boot with your originally-working kit?

Cheers!

[...]I don't want to format and start over and have it still be effed up. [...]

Not what you want to hear, but I've never successfully resurrected an SD card that refused to boot to the desktop.
I've always had to either restore the card from a backup image (most of the time) or clone it from another RPi (the other times)...

Sorry...

It's keg-kickin' time here with three that are ripe and ready to be replaced (I have four chilled and carbed kegs ready to go).

tap_list_27aug2015.jpg

I enjoy these times as I get to find out how tight the tracking has been.
And as kegs almost always kick within one pour +/- of indicated, it validates the whole metered-tap list thing to me to have a predictable demise - instead of surprise.
Makes planning for the pipeline that much easier...

Cheers! :mug:

I have to believe that the step you're skipping is the one that's eventually holding you up.

Why it won't accept input is the baffling part, but it's been almost two years since I did a full Raspian install (I did use the NOOBS kit of the time).

iirc, the default user at the time was 'pi' and the default password was 'raspberry'.

btw, why go through the whole total-rebuild thing?

Did your RPi not want to boot with your originally-working kit?

Cheers!

Drop noobs and get a rasbian image. Install the sd card. Extend the file system. Boot to desktop.

Back