[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
day_trippr, that is certainly strange. It is odd that when hunting this command down it seemed to work for others. Maybe the power saving is just not meant for you :)

I will be interested to see if many others on here give this a shot to see how it works for others.

Obviously it's a matter of hardware.
One monitor works fine, the other two don't.

But I'm not going to split up the triple 27" display set I earn a living with just to save a few dimes on power ;)

Cheers!

As I've said, I have two systems with attached monitors running R'Pints, and neither of them behave well with the tvservice toggle. The 19" DVI LCD perched atop my keezer will go into low power mode with -o, but -p only turns on the backlight (regardless of using the chvt commands or not).

otoh, the 40" HDMI screen on my dev system is the one that has the colors go neon when turning back on. Again, doesn't matter when I use the chvt commands or not.

In both cases I can literally unplug the power to the displays then plug it back in and their symptoms persist. Which is weird...

...because if I hook my office RPi up to one of my 27" computer monitors via DVI, the tvservice commands work perfectly. I can even hook up that monitor in place of the 40" and while the latter was all neon the former looks fine.

It's pretty confusing, but I'm guessing the tvservice is changing the video settings in a way that's subtle enough to work with the computer monitor but not the big tv or the old 19" DVI display.

Not losing sleep over it. It is what it is...

Cheers!

You all know this better than me but HDMI can be weird. I have always suffered from some strangeness when connecting computers up using HDMI. For example, with my home theater pc connected using HDMI to my bigger screen tv for some reason if I turn the tv off, then back on again while it is on the PC HDMI input will go into some sort of dynamic dimming mode. Basically when there is a dark background it will dim to like 50% brightness, when the majority of the screen is bright it goes back to 100%. Only cure is to change input and change back. It does not happen to any of the other HDMI inputs.

I also know that if you are going HDMI to HDMI connector there is the handshake that goes on and if you dont have one of those HDMI/DVI inputs on the back of the television it can get wonky. maybe the issues stem from there or are you all using the hdmi (pi side) -> (monitor side) dvi cables for display?

I hate to sound like a moocher, but I am looking forward to this being resolved so I can purchase the motion sensor and getting it all set up. I really need to get working on mine again.

It sounds more like the script doesn't work too well with TVs. And then there day_tripper with his TVs that use dvi? What is this the late 90's model 5" thick 'flat' screens. Drunklejon it sounds like your TV is in some kind of ECO or power saving mode. But pc-Hdmi can be weird. It also depends on hardware. Where the rpi is universal between users, pc's can differ greatly between video cards. Ati used to do a sudo Hdmi mode based on dvi hardware. Where Ńvidia has always used the most secure most up to date Hdmi modes as they came out. Then there's all the other manufacturers and third party chip users. PC video was never really intended to work flawlessly with TV style hardware. With HDCP some TVs won't even talk to a pc if it doesn't support it. And some will with no problem. My advice would be to look into AVS forums and xbmc forums. Because that's where the hardcore A/V geeks hang out.

You all know this better than me but HDMI can be weird. I have always suffered from some strangeness when connecting computers up using HDMI. For example, with my home theater pc connected using HDMI to my bigger screen tv for some reason if I turn the tv off, then back on again while it is on the PC HDMI input will go into some sort of dynamic dimming mode. Basically when there is a dark background it will dim to like 50% brightness, when the majority of the screen is bright it goes back to 100%. Only cure is to change input and change back. It does not happen to any of the other HDMI inputs.

I also know that if you are going HDMI to HDMI connector there is the handshake that goes on and if you dont have one of those HDMI/DVI inputs on the back of the television it can get wonky. maybe the issues stem from there or are you all using the hdmi (pi side) -> (monitor side) dvi cables for display?

I hate to sound like a moocher, but I am looking forward to this being resolved so I can purchase the motion sensor and getting it all set up. I really need to get working on mine again.

DrunkleJon, if you can SSH into your Pi you could test to see if these commands will work on your specific monitor.

sudo tvservice -o (to turn off the HDMI signal)
sudo tvservice -p && chvt 6 && chvt 7 (turn signal back on and change the virtual terminal to force a refresh).

If this works for you then you are golden, get your PIR and use my script. If this does not work with your hardware then I am not sure if there is or will be a solution.

It sounds more like the script doesn't work too well with TVs. And then there day_tripper with his TVs that use dvi? What is this the late 90's model 5" thick 'flat' screens. [...].

Ya know, considering all the hand-holding over the last year, you'd think you'd be a bit more respectful ;)

- The 2 yo hdtv attached to my dev system in my office is pure HDMI. PKU.
I almost never actually use the console on the dev RPi, so the whole low-power thing is moot in that case.

- The 19" 4:3 ViewSonic DVI monitor atop the keezer is barely an inch thick and was top-o'-the-line when new - about 12 years ago ;)
But it'd be stupid to actually buy a new monitor for that job just to MAYBE be able to use low-power mode as it's just not that important to me...

Cheers!

But that's the point. It seems that low power mode had been a total iceberg for Linux. Actually I'm amazed that your having issues over dvi. I can understand Hdmi being a ***** because that was it was designed for. But to be honest I've had issues with just about every device that's ever claimed to have a low-power or hibernation mode. On windows and Linux. I never said you need a new tv. And if you can't take a joke, then I guess we haven't become the forum buddies I thought we had. My bad

95b4c78d99baed82097a0ee1d17d3056.jpg

I did put a winky face right there in plain sight...

Cheers! ;) (<= there's another one! :D)

DrunkleJon, if you can SSH into your Pi you could test to see if these commands will work on your specific monitor.

sudo tvservice -p && chvt 6 && chvt 7 (turn signal back on and change the virtual terminal to force a refresh).

If this works for you then you are golden, get your PIR and use my script. If this does not work with your hardware then I am not sure if there is or will be a solution.

I will get it up and running and give it a go. Thanks.

These SF800 meters continue to amaze me with their accuracy.
I'm out of empty kegs and needed to kick one by Thursday latest.
On Saturday I picked the keg closest to empty and have been hitting that one hard.

It just kicked, 3 ounces past "MT".

taplist_14jul2015.jpg

That's well within my filling error for sure :D

Cheers! :mug:

Day_trippr, do you know of anywhere other than buying directly from Swiss Flow to purchase the SF800's? I check ebay regularly for both new and used meters but can't seem to find any. Thanks

Sorry, no. Occasionally a random meter shows up on eBay but nothing like the couple hundred "used" meters that we were snapping up a year and a half ago...

Cheers!

Site is down for me, too.

My R Pints is still shutting down on me randomly during the month. Upgraded the power supply but that didn't fix it. Thinking a new SD card may be in order? I already did a clean install and that didn't fix it, so it's either a bad Pi or a bad SD card, right?

Fwiw, I have a copy of the 2.0.1 R'Pints kit on my Google Drive here. There is a text file with installation instructions included but I can't vouch for its accuracy...

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

Just getting my system up and running. I have 5 taps and utlized pins 8,9,10,11,12 on my alamode. After having some crazy readings from my 4th and 5th meter, I did some troubshooting and realize that it is the 11th and 12th pins on my alamode. 8,9,10 work perfectly.
I was planning on switching over to pins 6,7,8,9,10. Anybody else had luck with these pins?
Also, any programming advice to make this happen smoothly? I've only made it this far due to all the great instructions given on raspberrypints.com and from this forum.
I understand I will need to stop the flowmon service. Go into the Arduino and edit the raspberrypints.ino file to the correct pins and then upload to the alamode board. Then run the python script. Do I need to give permissions again and $sudo update-rc.d flowon defaults?
Anything else I would need to do other than correct the pins within my taplist?

Thanks all.

Cheers!

I use 2 and 5 through 9 with zero issues. And at least one of the 'Pints team uses 8 through 11.

You have the right sequence. I don't think you will need to reset any ownership or access rights after editing the ino file...

Cheers!

Hi everyone,

I have 5 taps, and was having weird readings from pins 11,12 so I decided to try some different pins. after troubleshooting I have found that raspberrypints is still looking to the original pins I set up and not to the ones I changed them to. I will list the steps I followed to try and change the pins, if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

$ sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop

menu-programming->arduino open->raspberrypints.ino
switched the line with uint8_t pulsePin = {3,5,6,9,10}
made sure the board was set to Alamode, and the serial connection
and pressed the Verify button to compile and send the ino file to the alamode board.

rebooted.

Still wants to read from the {8,9,10,11,12} pins that I originally set it up with.

Thanks.

I'm better at learning how to program this thing after a few beers. I was forgetting to hit the Upload button after verifying. Got it to work.

Anyway, thank you day_tripper for your help. And thank you developers. This is a bad ass install. I got mine up and fully functional! It is a great add-on to my new keezer build.
Discovering the John Guest connectors was a blessing as well. I have been using an accuflex line for a few years now and it is a huge pain to add to a barb, installing with the 5/16 x 3/8 reducer stem with the quick connects that came with the swissflows made it so easy.

Anyway. I want to share some of pictures as to how I did my install. I tucked all the cords behind the monitor. Installed a 110V plug w/USB power, and ran the Cat6 wire thru the wall also. I mounted the Pi on the back of the monitor and ran 1 Ft HDMI, Power, and MicroUSB cords.

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

OK, now I am confident my motion detection script enabling HDMI signal enable/disable is working correctly. For the info of anyone not up to date on the thread there have been a few attempts to get the motion sensor to put the monitor in and out of sleep mode when no motion is detected from the sensor. I came up with the script below that has been working for me.

Anyone interested in giving it a try can simply backup the existing pir_run.py script in /home/pi and then paste in the code below.

@ day_trippr. I know you have not had much luck but I am curious is changing the order of the commands would work any better? My theory is changing to another Virtual Terminal before killing the HDMI signal may hopefully save the colour settings for your X session?

Hope this helps others trying to get their monitor in and out of sleep mode via the PIR.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import pwd,os
import time
import RPi.GPIO as GPIO

pir_pin = 7
GPIO.setmode(GPIO.BCM)
GPIO.setup(pir_pin, GPIO.IN)
global start_time
start_time=time.time()
sleep_threshold = 60
monitor_status = 1
cmd_sleep = 'chvt 6 && tvservice -o'
cmd_awake = 'tvservice -p && chvt 7'
time.sleep(10)

while 1:
    time.sleep(10)
    elapsed_time = time.time() - start_time
    print elapsed_time
    print monitor_status

# turn off monitor after the sleep threshold
    # monitor_status value avoids turning of HDMI signal if it is already off
    if elapsed_time > sleep_threshold and monitor_status == 1:
        print "Turning Off HDMI"
        monitor_status = 0
        os.system(cmd_sleep)

# turn monitor back on upon detection
    if GPIO.input(pir_pin) and monitor_status == 0:
        os.system(cmd_awake)
        print "Turning on HDMI"
        monitor_status = 1
        time.sleep(10)
        start_time=time.time()

if GPIO.input(pir_pin):
        start_time=time.time()
        print "Resetting elapsed time to keep monitor on while movement detected"
        time.sleep(10)

I finally got some time to try this out and it is working.

Wanger, I orginally bought the pi that the raspberrypints page linked to (pi B). Just set up the pi 2 b plus tonight. It is considerably faster! I am going to set up the wifi and plug in the alamode in the next couple days. I'll let you know how it works out.

I'm not sure if I can use the alamode board on the Pi 2. There are 40 pins on the Pi 2. anybody know if you can still plug an alamode into a pi 2?

Just out of curiosity, If I went with the pi2, could I just unplug the sd card from my original pi and plug it in the new one or would I have to reinstall?

As long as the kernel is up to date you're good

Did a full reinstall, as mine has been a touch flaky and was never upgraded since the v2 release. For some reason Chromium will not load on boot nor is the disabling of screen blanking working for me but I sshed in to test and

Score. It works. Though it doesnt seem to like the "&& chvt 7" part

/home/pi$ sudo tvservice -o
Powering off HDMI

I hear a quiet high pitched tone(whine, i think its just the monitor being whiney) and screen sleeps almost instantly

/home/pi$ sudo tvservice -p && chvt 7
Powering on HDMI with preferred settings
Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

I hear same tone as screen wakes up 10 seconds after sending the command. Wakes up after 5 seconds looking normal with just the /home/pi$ sudo tvservice -p command.

If anyone else has one around or cares my monitor is a found in the closet model HP 1955 with a 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz resolution and behaves pretty well. I only have 3 taps and there is room for 4 more when in portrait mode. Should hold 5-1/2 taps in landscape.

now to find what the part number for the motion sensor, locate a cheap one, finish ironing out small problems I am having (probably user error unless it is something different in the 3.18 version of Raspbian.

Did a full reinstall, as mine has been a touch flaky and was never upgraded since the v2 release. For some reason Chromium will not load on boot nor is the disabling of screen blanking working for me but I sshed in to test and

Score. It works. Though it doesnt seem to like the "&& chvt 7" part

/home/pi$ sudo tvservice -o
Powering off HDMI

I hear a quiet high pitched tone and screen sleeps almost instantly

/home/pi$ sudo tvservice -p && chvt 7
Powering on HDMI with preferred settings
Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

I hear same tone as screen wakes up 10 seconds after sending the command. Wakes up after 5 seconds looking normal with just the /home/pi$ sudo tvservice -p command.

If anyone else has one around or cares my monitor is a found in the closet model HP 1955 with a 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz resolution and behaves pretty well. I only have 3 taps and there is room for 4 more when in portrait mode. Should hold 5-1/2 taps in landscape.

now to find what the part number for the motion sensor, locate a cheap one, finish ironing out small problems I am having (probably user error unless it is something different in the 3.18 version of Raspbian.

chvt7 is "X" the desktop. chvt6 is a terminal window. You need to use
sudo tvservice -p && chvt 6 && chvt 7
This will switch to a terminal window and then back to the desktop. Of course, this is only needed if your monitor does not wake up by itself just using "tvservice -p"

I'm sure you all are quite aware, but I hooked up my pi 2 B+ to the alamode tonight and it works great! there are 26 pins on the alamode and 40 on the pi 2, but it works great.... CONSIDERABLY faster updating pours.

ChrisL_

I would really like to try your programming to have my flowmeters kick my screen on after taking a pour. and stay on for an hour or so...
I see where you have the coding all listed, but could you elaborate a little more as to what file I have to edit and add this "code"?
I need more a step by step.
Also, would I need to change some of the programming that is done in the LXDE-pi/autostart? like the @set s off,@set -dpms, @xset s noblank?

Thanks!

ChrisL_

I would really like to try your programming to have my flowmeters kick my screen on after taking a pour. and stay on for an hour or so...
I see where you have the coding all listed, but could you elaborate a little more as to what file I have to edit and add this "code"?
I need more a step by step.
Also, would I need to change some of the programming that is done in the LXDE-pi/autostart? like the @set s off,@set -dpms, @xset s noblank?

Thanks!

hardyhop,
That is interesting using the flow meter sensing a pour to kick on the screen but my script it used to interact with a motion sensor. The problem with using the flow meter is that you have to start pouring before you get to see what is on the menu.
My script really just borrows from the original motion sensor setup posted by day_trippr found here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6029665&postcount=796

You would follow this setup and then use my code found here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6984093&postcount=1236

and replace day_trippr's copy of /home/pi/pir_run.py with it with a new copy of /home/pi/pir_run.py with the code I posted.

The motion sensors cost about $5 and seem like a better way to go then using the flow meter so that you get to see the menu before starting a pour.

I would like to say I could help you figure out how to modify the script that senses the flow meters to turn on your monitor but to tell you the truth I am not a programmer. I have VERY LIMITED understanding of basic coding and took about 6 hours of trial and error (and Google searches) to get the pir_run.py script to run as desired. I would be happy to answer any questions you have about my version of the pir_run.py script.

So my Raspberry Pi 2 came in. I discovered it uses a micro SD card, so i got one of those. I copied an image of my standard SD card to the micro SD. Hooked it all up and when I power it on, I get the colored screen as it boots, and then nothing. Any thoughts? Do I need to do a complete reinstall? That will be a shame if I do. I'd have to reinstall my BrewPi, too. Thanks for any help! And just so you know, I went from a 16gb SD to a 16gb micro SD.

Thanks!

I've been working on this all day, and just can seem to get it to run. I did the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-ui-mods

It works fine on my old pi. I even took the microSD and put it in an adapter and put it back in to my old pi. Works great. But when I put it in the new one, I get the multicolored screen and nothing else. I have put it down to a bare bones pi2 (no add on boards). The only thing I had plugged in to it was the HDMI and a usb wifi adapter.

Any thoughts?

The easiest route would have been to upgrade your original SD card for Model 2 compatibility while it was still in the Model B.

See if you can still boot your old 'Pi from the big SD card.
If you can, do the upgrade, image that card, clone that image, and you should be in bidness...

Cheers!

[edit] It looks like you might have not upgraded the RPi firmware.
And it looks like I didn't read your last post carefully enough ;)
Do an rpi-update...

Back