[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your kind welcome and reply. I am not not new to home brewing, but quite new to the electrical/automation side of things. I guess two hobbies are coming together. I've also been playing with CraftBrewPi.

I will try that and report back.

Greetings, "Gallen", and welcome to HBT!

If this is a new Raspbian Jessie build, have you expanded the file system yet?
This can be done via the desktop gui or via the command line using raspi-config

$ sudo raspi-config

I believe the very first entry is to expand the root file system.

Assuming the file system has been expanded, before installing mysql, do an update of your local package directory:

$ sudo apt-get update

then do the mysql install.

Hopefully this will get you moving again.

Cheers!

Tried above with no joy, but I think I have located the problem. Seems that Raspbian Jessie was replaced my Raspbian Stretch 3 days ago in NOOBS 2.4.3. Database handling is apparently different in Stretch. I am going back now to install Jessie.

Am also going to follow install for flow meters since I hope to have those soon.

Thanks for your kind welcome and reply. I am not not new to home brewing, but quite new to the electrical/automation side of things. I guess two hobbies are coming together. I've also been playing with CraftBrewPi.

I will try that and report back.

Good thing I had Wheezy saved to my downloads folder.

Dropped my Pi yesterday and didn't noticed until today that it broke the MicroSD card in half. I'm now in the process of reinstalling the whole shebang since I hadn't imaged the drive yet.

When I'm done I've got to figure out how to run BrewPi and log the data from my Tilt hydrometer in the background. When that's all working properly THEN I'll image my drive.

Good thing I had Wheezy saved to my downloads folder.

Dropped my Pi yesterday and didn't noticed until today that it broke the MicroSD card in half. I'm now in the process of reinstalling the whole shebang since I hadn't imaged the drive yet.

Did you have a case around it? Just curious. I printed one I found and am hoping it'll protect it if it drops. It shouldn't drop, but you never know! :)

Let the fun begin.

Just started reinstalling everything... no more MySQL.... so the php5-mysql doesn't seem to work after the update and upgrade.

And I misspoke earlier, I'm running Jessie.

And no, I didn't have a case since I read that it wouldn't work with an Alamode.... boo

Shifting gears just slightly...

Since this a new build on RPi3 Jessie and I don't yet have all the hardware, am I better off with an Alamode or Uno?

Unos are wicked cheap, so unless you prefer the stacked/shield Alamode implementation you're at least financially better off with the Uno.
Secondary effect: fewer digital IO shared with the Alamode RTC means support for a few more meters...

Cheers!

Success! Working with sample data. A few more tweaks to get the display correct on RPi lcd screen, then just waiting for flow meters and board.

Thx day_trippr! :mug:

Greetings, "Gallen", and welcome to HBT!

If this is a new Raspbian Jessie build, have you expanded the file system yet?
This can be done via the desktop gui or via the command line using raspi-config

$ sudo raspi-config

I believe the very first entry is to expand the root file system.

Assuming the file system has been expanded, before installing mysql, do an update of your local package directory:

$ sudo apt-get update

then do the mysql install.

Hopefully this will get you moving again.

Cheers!

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 6.14.14 PM.jpg

Seems that Raspbian Jessie was replaced my Raspbian Stretch 3 days ago in NOOBS 2.4.3. Database handling is apparently different in Stretch.

A quick Google search brought me here: https://github.com/gplessis/dotdeb-php/issues/33 so that might be of use to anyone starting out with the latest NOOBS Stretch variety:

It seems that you are trying to install Wheezy packages on Squeeze. Remember that Wheezy is now Debian stable, if you use "stable" in your sources.list you must change it to "squeeze".

I'm planning on upgrading my Pi with a 3 on latest NOOBS so if nobody else has tried by then, I'll give it a crack and report back.

So I am having the same error with php5-mysql.... everything else appears to install fine. I installed NOOBs 2.4.3 .

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get -y install php5-mysql
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
php5-mysql : Depends: libmysqlclient18 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So is the fix here just to install the previous version of NOOBs ?

Thanks,

Jeff

Pretty much, until someone solves that stumbling block.
I maintain a few live test systems and will likely succumb to giving Stretch a go on one of them - after things have settled down.
The Jessie launch was horrible and took months to straighten out (and still has deficiencies wrt Wheezy) so I'm not in a hurry here...

Cheers!

Ok. Anyone have a link to download it? Of course I would spend all morning thinking I was typing something wrong and try format and reinstall twice before I look on HBT...

Jeff

Pretty much, until someone solves that stumbling block.
I maintain a few live test systems and will likely succumb to giving Stretch a go on one of them - after things have settled down.
The Jessie launch was horrible and took months to straighten out (and still has deficiencies wrt Wheezy) so I'm not in a hurry here...

Cheers!

This explains it: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/#comment-1319312

So looks like php7.0 and MariaDB 10.1 are the new world order...

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/images/

Ok. Found it. Do I just want the previous version 2.4.2? or earlier then that?

2.4.2 is what you're looking for, BUT

DO NOT apt-get upgrade until after you have installed the LAMP stack. If you do the php5-mysql will not install and you'll be where we're currently stuck at.

I had to format my SD card almost a half dozen times to get it figured out, but I'm now successfully up and running everything but my motion sensor (I just don't have any female pin connectors)

Maybe after someone figures out the Stretch upgrade I'll consolidate EVERYTHING into one post, since I've chased my tail around the forum a half dozen times to find all the posts I needed for setup, changing the SRM, adding a PIR sensor, and playing a tune.

2.4.2 is what you're looking for, BUT

DO NOT apt-get upgrade until after you have installed the LAMP stack. If you do the php5-mysql will not install and you'll be where we're currently stuck at.

I had to format my SD card almost a half dozen times to get it figured out, but I'm now successfully up and running everything but my motion sensor (I just don't have any female pin connectors)

Maybe after someone figures out the Stretch upgrade I'll consolidate EVERYTHING into one post, since I've chased my tail around the forum a half dozen times to find all the posts I needed for setup, changing the SRM, adding a PIR sensor, and playing a tune.

Does it somehow update by itself if you have a network cable plugged in? I download the previous version and did no updates and I am still getting
the same error.

"The following packages have unmet dependencies:
php5-mysql : Depends: libmysqlclient18 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

I even tried going back to 2.1.0 and got the same thing.... must be something that changed in the directions on the website? I am just trying to setup the display with no flo meters.

I've been lurking on here for the past week reading post after post trying to solve my current problem, but I have had no luck. I currently have the taplist running with no issues, it the flow sensors thats giving me the trouble. Im running an Rpi 3 b with an arduino uno attached, and a Digiten flow sensor. I get errors each time I try to upload the .ino sketch to the arduino, and the flow_meter.py file wont compile either. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached are the errors im getting.

20170821_190117.jpg

20170821_190340 (1).jpg

20170821_190229.jpg

20170821_190913.jpg

This is the error i get when I try to compile the flow_monitor.py and if I comment that section out I get a MySQLdb not existing error.

20170823_170025.jpg

fwiw, there is a Preview button in the editor...

bug.jpg

I have no idea where that "/admin/" is coming from.

Your RaspberryPints installation appears to be rooted at /var/www/html.
Did you adjust the poursdir setting in flow_monitor.py to = '/var/www/html'?

Also in flow_monitor.py I just discovered there is another setting that may need changing if you install the kit at /var/www/html. You'll find this line:

path = '/var/www/includes/pours.php'

further down the file. I haven't actually walked the code to see if this is ever referenced but it probably wouldn't hurt to change it as well.
All of my systems have R'Pints rooted at /var/www (I change the Apache2 DocumentRoot setting) so I haven't run into this...

Cheers!

fwiw, there is a Preview button in the editor...

View attachment 411681

I have no idea where that "/admin/" is coming from.

Your RaspberryPints installation appears to be rooted at /var/www/html.
Did you adjust the poursdir setting in flow_monitor.py to = '/var/www/html'?

Also in flow_monitor.py I just discovered there is another setting that may need changing if you install the kit at /var/www/html. You'll find this line:

path = '/var/www/includes/pours.php'

further down the file. I haven't actually walked the code to see if this is ever referenced but it probably wouldn't hurt to change it as well.
All of my systems have R'Pints rooted at /var/www (I change the Apache2 DocumentRoot setting) so I haven't run into this...

Cheers!

Well I fixed the admin error, somehow I pasted that into the code on accident. My sketch still will not compile on my uno. I've been trying to alter the code on an online arduino compiler and I'm getting the same errors that I receive on my actual uno.

Attachments

• sketchissue.png
    sketchissue.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 72
Hey guys, I promise I tried to search this thread and others for help...but programming is not my specialty.

I have my raspberry pints setup running on the TV above my bar. I was wondering if/how you can change both the font size and/or font.

Again, I am sure it has been addressed before...but I struggled to find it. Maybe someone could even point me to that spot?

Thanks!

You can play with the styles.css and within the php file to effect font changes.
I created additional classes in the css file then invoked them in index.php, for instance...

Cheers!

You can play with the styles.css and within the php file to effect font changes.
I created additional classes in the css file then invoked them in index.php, for instance...

Cheers!

Did you mean to writing something after you said "for instance".

Thanks! (any hand holding is appreciated)

I have my raspberry pints setup running on the TV above my bar. I was wondering if/how you can change both the font size and/or font.

Just to expand a bit on the good oil from day_trippr, what he's saying is that your index.php file will reference your style.css file for font, font size, font color, etc.

So if you have a look at these two sections for example:

PHP:
body {
	background-image: url(img/background.jpg);
	background-color: #000000;
	background-size: cover;
	background-repeat:no-repeat;
	overflow: hidden;
	color: #FFFFFF;
	font: 1.5em Georgia, arial, verdana, sans-serif;
	margin:5px;

PHP:
h3 {
	margin: 0;
	color: #A0A0A0;
	font-weight: normal;
	font-size: .8em;
	-webkit-margin-before: 5px;
	-webkit-margin-after: 5px;
}

What that is saying is anything wrapped in "h3" tags eg:

PHP:
<h3><?php echo $beer['og']; ?> OG</h3>

will be "0.8" times the size of the current font size of "1.5em" and the font color will be #A0A0A0 instead of the default value of #FFFFFF and the actual font will be "Georgia" if installed, otherwise it will try "arial" next, followed by "verdana", and finally "sans-serif".

So if you want to change the font you'll need to add it to the list in the "body" section above eg:

PHP:
body {
	background-image: url(img/background.jpg);
	background-color: #000000;
	background-size: cover;
	background-repeat:no-repeat;
	overflow: hidden;
	color: #FFFFFF;
	font: 1.5em Times New Roman, Georgia, arial, verdana, sans-serif;
	margin:5px;

This will also require installing the new font on whatever machine you then want the use it on if it is not already installed (so if your monitor is plugged into your RPi then the font will need to be installed there, and if you view it from a device that does not have it installed it will work its way through the list until it finds one).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Kal

Hi guys and gals,

Not sure if this has been covered before, but if so it's probably buried a million posts back, so here's a very short "how to" on updating your Pi (in my case I went from a 2B to a 3B), while coming back to life with all of your memories intact.

So first of all you need to dump your databases, so in your existing Pi crack open a terminal and enter this:

Code:
mysqldump --all-databases --user=root --password --master-data > backupdatabase.sql

If you receive this error don't panic:

Code:
$ mysqldump: Error: Binlogging on server not active

Just do this:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf

In the [mysqld] section, under "skip-external-locking" add the following parameter:

Code:
log-bin=mysql-bin

Like this:

PHP:
[mysqld]
#
# * Basic Settings
#
user            = mysql
pid-file        = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
port            = 3306
basedir         = /usr
datadir         = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir          = /tmp
lc-messages-dir = /usr/share/mysql
skip-external-locking
log-bin=mysql-bin
#

Then restart mysql server with this command:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/mysql restart

Then rerun the mysqldump command again:

Code:
mysqldump --all-databases --user=root --password --master-data > backupdatabase.sql

Backup your my.cnf file:

Code:
sudo cp /etc/mysql/my.cnf my.cnf.bak

Then copy these to your PC with your favourite tool (WinSCP, Filezilla, etc), optionally if you've heavily customised your index.php, style.css, etc (like I had), then dump your entire /www directory to your local machine at the same time.

Follow the instructions courtesy of day_trippr here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8040187&postcount=2643 to setup your new Pi (I'd also recommend using a new SD Card with your new Pi so you have an easy rollback solution if something goes wrong), you need a fully working RPints installation first, so don't skip ahead.

Once you have a working RPints setup on your new Pi, then it's basically a reversal of the steps above:

Firstly transfer the 'backupdatabase.sql' and 'my.cnf.bak' to home/pi

Then restore your config file:

Code:
sudo cp my.cnf.bak /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Next restore your databases:

Code:
mysql -u root -p < backupdatabase.sql

Optionally restore your /www directory, but if you do then you'll need to run this command:

Code:
sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www

If you don't do that last step you'll have permissions issues with the files you brought across resulting in pours not being recorded (ask me how I know this).

That's it, I'm now on a RPi3B running Jessie, and my RPi2B previously on Wheezy is now being repurposed for another project.

Reach out if you get stuck on any of the steps, but the good thing about this is if you do get stuck you can simply plug your old RPints Pi back in until you resolve it (you'll just need to do a fresh database dump if you drink anything in the meantime).

Cheers,

Kal

I'm having a problem installing php5-mysql. and I don't know anything about programming with rPI. I'm just following the instructions.

When I type in sudo apt-get install php5-mysql, I receive the following:

"Reading package lists . . . done
Building dependency tree
reading state information . . . done

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages ahve not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
php5-mysql : Depends: libmysqlclient 18 but it is not installable
E: unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

I have installed apache2 php5 mysql-client mysql-server and phpmyadmin. I installed each one separately so I could be sure it installed properly.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Back