[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was googling the error and it indicated to install php7.0-mysql since that's the latest version. I did that and it returned:

"reading package lists . . . Done
Building Dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
php7.0-mysql is already the newest version (7.0.19-1).
php7.0-mysql set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

It then said to use "sudo systemctl restart apache2"

I've done that, so should I be good to go with continuing to install the mods for the flow meter?

sorry for the multiple posts.

I'm on step 6 and following the following:

To make the necessary changes for the Arduino IDE to recognize AlaMode, Run the following command below to get the package we need to work with.

wget https://github.com/wyolum/alamode/raw/master/bundles/alamode-setup.tar.gz

From the command line, unpack and install it:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ tar -xvzf alamode-setup.tar.gz
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cd alamode-setup
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo ./setup

everything appears to work but the sudo ./setup
it says command not found.

here's a pic of the commands i used:

I also used

sudo /setup
sudo /.setup
and got the same issue

IMG_0727.JPG

Last edited:
I was googling the error and it indicated to install php7.0-mysql since that's the latest version. I did that and it returned:

"reading package lists . . . Done
Building Dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
php7.0-mysql is already the newest version (7.0.19-1).
php7.0-mysql set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

It then said to use "sudo systemctl restart apache2"

I've done that, so should I be good to go with continuing to install the mods for the flow meter?
You are currently in uncharted waters as nobody has done/documented a RPints build on Stretch (2.4.3) yet, but considering it uses php7 and MariaDB I'd guess that you'd need to change the following in Step 4:
Code:
sudo apt-get -y install apache2 php5 mysql-client mysql-server php5-mysql phpmyadmin
to:
Code:
sudo apt-get -y install apache2 php mysql-client mariadb-server php-mysql phpmyadmin
and:
Code:
sudo apt-get install arduino python-serial python-mysqldb php5-cli xdotool
to:
Code:
sudo apt-get install arduino python-serial python-mysqldb php-cli xdotool
Then continue on with day_trippr's guide here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8040187&postcount=2643

That said, it is untested and other instructions may have also been broken in the new version so my recommendation would be to start again on Jessie (2.4.2) http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/NOOBS/images/NOOBS-2017-07-05/

Cheers,

Kal

Hi all,

As we are going to get more of these coming in, I'll have a crack at doing/documenting a Stretch RPints install on the weekend and report back.

Watch this space...

I'm using an rpi2. Do I still follow day_trippers alamode instructions for Jessie on rpi3, or use the original instructions?

Just finished setting up my Tilted Pints setup. Anyone interested in the instructions? If so, I'll start a new thread I'll link here.

Last edited:
I'm using an rpi2. Do I still follow day_trippers alamode instructions for Jessie on rpi3, or use the original instructions?

You'll use the original instructions.

For clarification purposes, I'm suggesting that you use the original instructions for the alamode setup on your Pi2, and not day_trippr's instructions of using the software serial port on an Pi3. That is only for the part about setting up the alamode. The rest of day_trippr's new instructions should be followed because you're on Jessie.

I've been following day_tripper's guidance and just finished step 5. Everything appears to have installed well. I have made a backup image and will start step 6 shortly. Have guests over and busy through Labor Day.

Hi all,

As we are going to get more of these coming in, I'll have a crack at doing/documenting a Stretch RPints install on the weekend and report back.

Watch this space...

Quoting yourself is kinda like wearing your own band tshirt to a gig, but just wanted to give whoever is interested an update.

Got RPints working on Stretch, documentation of much banging of head against wall forthcoming.

Cheers,

Kal

Kal,
I thought you only installed the dos2unix if you were using the rpi3. I' using rpi2. Will that have a negative impact if I'm on the rpi2?

It's any Jessie installation (and most likely Stretch as well) regardless of the RPi model.

The knuckleheads at WyoLum have known about this problem for a couple of years but for some reason won't take the five minutes to update the Jessie setup script and re-archive the kit...

Cheers!

Not to harp in any way at all, but the new roll up instructions that you were so kind to document make it sound like if you're on a Jessie implementation on any platform, you do the changes to step 5 and 7, but the step 6 changes for dos2unix only apply to an RPI3 implementation due to the serial port listening conflict.

Hi all,

Watch this space...

UPDATE: More alamode issues with this version, I've posted to their github page and the community help forum, but considering with Jessie it was 6 months with no response until an end user posted the solution I'm not holding my breath.

I have a few Uno's on route for a different project, so I'll give one of those a crack and let you know how I go, but in the meantime any alamode experts or WyoLum staff are welcome to assist ;-)

Kal,
I thought you only installed the dos2unix if you were using the rpi3. I' using rpi2. Will that have a negative impact if I'm on the rpi2?

My mistake, I interpreted that as Jessie had reallocated the serial ports to make way for hardware changes in the Pi3 so if running Jessie regardless of which Pi you use you'll need to still follow step 6.

I could be wrong though, I was a latecomer to this dance party, day_trippr is definitely the expert here so I will defer to him at this point.

Cheers,

Kal

Not to harp in any way at all, but the new roll up instructions that you were so kind to document make it sound like if you're on a Jessie implementation on any platform, you do the changes to step 5 and 7, but the step 6 changes for dos2unix only apply to an RPI3 implementation due to the serial port listening conflict.

You're right, I binned it to too narrow a bin. Tried to do too much there.

There is a change in that section that is specific to the RPi3B (the boot config change to stop console messages from being streamed to the software serial port) but the rest of that section is applicable to any Jessie installation.

Unfortunately that post is more than 30 days old so I can't edit it directly.
I'll have to cobble up edit instructions and have a moderator do it for me...

Cheers!

Got RPints running a few weeks ago w/o the flow meters, although I followed w/ Flow meter instructions as I knew I would be adding them. Now I am back tracking since the hardware has arrived and I had some time.

I can see data from the meters on the Arduino Serial Monitor screen using the compiled Raspberrypints sketch, but it doesn't seem that RaspberryPints itself is seeing the pour. Keg volume stays full and poured volume doesn't change.

I changed the Python listen port as described in post #2643. Another thing I noted during the install that is probably related...

When I input the test command
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start $ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py
I didn't get any output. No errors. Nothing.

If I just typed
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start $ ps aux
then I got this
Code:
[ ok ] Starting flowmon (via systemctl): flowmon.service.

I did check the "pin" numbers in Admin match the Uno pins.

[...]
Code:

That's actually two separate command strings:

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start 
$ ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py

fwiw:

Start the service: sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start
Check the service: sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon status
Stop the service: sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop

I have these commands aliased to flowstart, flowstat, and flowstop...

Cheers!

Got RPints running a few weeks ago w/o the flow meters, although I followed w/ Flow meter instructions as I knew I would be adding them. Now I am back tracking since the hardware has arrived and I had some time.

I can see data from the meters on the Arduino Serial Monitor screen using the compiled Raspberrypints sketch, but it doesn't seem that RaspberryPints itself is seeing the pour. Keg volume stays full and poured volume doesn't change.

I changed the Python listen port as described in post #2643. Another thing I noted during the install that is probably related...

Code:

If I just typed
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start $ ps aux
then I got this
Code:
[ ok ] Starting flowmon (via systemctl): flowmon.service.

I did check the "pin" numbers in Admin match the Uno pins.

Code:

Should be two separate lines, try:
PHP:
sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start
ps aux | grep flow_monitor.py

That makes sense. Now I see the $.

Now entering
Code:
I get
Code:
pi        1830  0.0  0.2   4272  1916 pts/0    S+   20:55   0:00 grep --color=auto flow_monitor.py

I can turn on, check status, and turn off flowmon. Serial monitor still sees data from both sensors but no change in RaspberryPints display.

I am so sorry if these are stupid questions/problems.

Make sure you have enabled Flow Monitoring in the RaspberryPints management gui (in Setup look under Show/Hide Columns) and you have correctly assigned tapped kegs to the Arduino pins listed in your sketch...

Cheers!

That makes sense. Now I see the $.

Now entering
Code:
I get
Code:
pi        1830  0.0  0.2   4272  1916 pts/0    S+   20:55   0:00 grep --color=auto flow_monitor.py

I can turn on, check status, and turn off flowmon. Serial monitor still sees data from both sensors but no change in RaspberryPints display.

I am so sorry if these are stupid questions/problems.

Not sure if this helps, but I had permissions issues preventing pours being recorded after I transfered updated files across, just running this fixed it for me:

Code:
sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www

Cheers,

Kal

Tried both of these and still doesn't seem to be seeing pours. Don't know if this would help anyone help me sort this out, but when I query the status of flowmon here is the output. Looks ok to my untrained eye.
Code:
flowmon.service - LSB: Put a short description of the service here
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/flowmon)
   Active: active (exited) since Sun 2017-09-03 13:51:15 MDT; 2min 27s ago
  Process: 501 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/flowmon start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Sep 03 13:51:15 raspberrypi flowmon[501]: Starting system RPFlowMon daemon:.
Sep 03 13:51:15 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started LSB: Put a short description....
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
I don't think it's a hardware problems since I can see the meters in the UNO's connection. I'm gonna start at the beginning of the instructions and go through everything to see if I can ID any issues unless anyone has more ideas...

Will report back...

Hoping you all could help I've had raspberry pints going for over a year now without flow meters. I took the plunge on flow meters. I'm having trouble getting it working. Im testing with one meter although I have 3 set in my sketch and 3 in my kegs list on raspberry pints. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see in the output. But I tried gently blowing into the sensor and resending the output command but I can't tell if it's working or what I'm supposed to see. Also raspberry pints still shows the keg full it's the bottom one that's tied to pin ten that my test sensor is wired to. My setup is an arduberry on top of a raspberry pi3 model b.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504472298.514765.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504472310.386721.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1504472324.431434.jpg

Tried both of these and still doesn't seem to be seeing pours. Don't know if this would help anyone help me sort this out, but when I query the status of flowmon here is the output. Looks ok to my untrained eye.
Code:
flowmon.service - LSB: Put a short description of the service here
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/flowmon)
   Active: active (exited) since Sun 2017-09-03 13:51:15 MDT; 2min 27s ago
  Process: 501 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/flowmon start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Sep 03 13:51:15 raspberrypi flowmon[501]: Starting system RPFlowMon daemon:.
Sep 03 13:51:15 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started LSB: Put a short description....
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
I don't think it's a hardware problems since I can see the meters in the UNO's connection. I'm gonna start at the beginning of the instructions and go through everything to see if I can ID any issues unless anyone has more ideas...

Will report back...

Just to reiterate, you tapped a keg and used the same pin that you have connected to your uno, not your tap number? And you enabled flow monitoring in the configuration?

Instead of running the actual flowmon service, shut that down

sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop

and run flow_monitor.py in a terminal window

sudo python <full path>flow_monitor.py

and then blow through your meter.

If the listener "hears" the pour message issued by the Arduino there will be a few lines of cruft spewed out in the terminal (when run on Wheezy you'd actually see the three line pour message but for whatever reason that doesn't work on Jessie).

If nothing happens then there's still some problem between the Arduino and the RPi...

Cheers!

Instead of running the actual flowmon service, shut that down

sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon stop

and run flow_monitor.py in a terminal window

sudo python <full path>flow_monitor.py

and then blow through your meter.

If the listener "hears" the pour message issued by the Arduino there will be a few lines of cruft spewed out in the terminal (when run on Wheezy you'd actually see the three line pour message but for whatever reason that doesn't work on Jessie).

If nothing happens then there's still some problem between the Arduino and the RPi...

Cheers!

Very interesting, but I don't know the reason, maybe a permissions thing...

Code:
Could not open input file: /var/www/includes/pours.php

I get this when I ran the listener AND then each time after I blew in the meter.

Very interesting, but I don't know the reason, maybe a permissions thing...

Code:
Could not open input file: /var/www/includes/pours.php

I get this when I ran the listener AND then each time after I blew in the meter.

That is definitely the same message I had when I had permissions issues after transferring my old /www across to my new Pi

Code:
sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www

Should have fixed it, not sure why it didn't but you could try:

Code:
sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www/includes/pours.php

Hi all,

Watch this space...

UPDATE: Kevin Osborn from Wyolum, replied that he'll "take a look at it" so I've sent him the dump files of both a successful Jessie upload and an unsuccessful Stretch upload to an Alamode.

Watch this space...

That's actually a good sign, it clearly shows the Python listener "heard" the pour message and is trying to pass it on.

Make sure the path to pours.php is correct. As I note here if pours.php isn't where flow_monitor.py expects it to be (eg: if R'Pints was rooted at /var/www/html instead of /var/www), something needs to be changed...

Cheers!

Back