[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
address of rpi/index.php

comes up with not found from desktop

address of pi without the index.php comes up with generic apache page with rpints folder. Clicking on it opens the taplist.

Here is what I see when I open from my desktop or starting the pi. I had one line wrong in editing the autostart.

apache snip.PNG

Ok - that "/install/" thing didn't belong in there.

If I take this literally:
"When I open var/www the folder RaspberryPints-2.0.1 is in there.
Open that and all it's folders are there including index.php."

it makes me think you didn't actually unpack the kit to /var/www.
You need to move everything up so the root folder is /var/www, not /var/www/RaspberryPints-2.0.1.
ie: index.php and everything at that level should be in /var/www.

Start with that...

Cheers!

Is there any way to save my beer list I have already put into the taplist before I wipe out everything beyond www

Sure, that should do it. Or an mv command, but either way...

Cheers!

[edit] You may have to stop Mysql server to be able to copy the database:

Code:
$ sudo service mysql stop

I copied it and moved it that way and at the moment it works.
I also copied all of the info to a new folder on the desktop just in case. ;)

Thank you again for all of the help.

Happy to help. Always good to have another brewer in the mix!

Also, always good to have backups. Even backups of backups.
I recommend imaging your SD card once you have your system running well.
I use win32diskimager and a $5 USB card reader...

Cheers!

My 5 dollar card reader was DOA when I received it off of the list from the raspi page. Found a 15 dollar one at staples. :D

I'm having a problem with my system. I add beers via the "add beers" page but when I go to tap a keg the new beers are not on the list. I looked in the database via phpmyadmin and they are in fact in the beer database but will not show up to be tapped. Any suggestions for a php novice?

I'm having a problem with my system. I add beers via the "add beers" page but when I go to tap a keg the new beers are not on the list. I looked in the database via phpmyadmin and they are in fact in the beer database but will not show up to be tapped. Any suggestions for a php novice?

Any chance you got funny characters (return characters, etc) into your beer name / beer description? There were a few posts on the other rpints thread, if you scroll back a few pages...

Cheers,
-Th

No weird characters. But the problem is solved... I unplugged it and reconnected it a couple of times and it fixed itself. I appreciate self healing problems.

Just be careful doing that...enough hard reboots and it will corrupt your drive. I learned that the hard way with my first install, so hopefully you've made a backup once everything's good and setup to your liking.

This may be a stupid question, but why is it necessary to go through all of the individual steps to get this going rather than to have a stock SD card image that can be downloaded and then flashed and then from there setting up the personalized things like static IP's, passwords, usernames etc? It just seems like it would drastically reduce the complexity of the install.

I totally get that, which is a compelling reason to keep the instructions around on how to do it the way we've been doing it, but not really a reason there can't ALSO be the option to do it using a stock image for those that aren't looking to do anything but run raspberrypints or who are starting there.

I totally get that, which is a compelling reason to keep the instructions around on how to do it the way we've been doing it, but not really a reason there can't ALSO be the option to do it using a stock image for those that aren't looking to do anything but run raspberrypints or who are starting there.

It's not just that, also that the image used would have to fit (or be smaller than) the sd card that you're using, in the second case you'd not be able to use the extra space on the card - unless someone provides instructions how to enlarge the image, etc....

And you'd be downloading largely nothing, since most of that image would have no data. Someone hosting that would still have to pay for all of nothing.

It's not out of the question, and it's a compelling option, and something I've been working on - on different hardware - something for a later day to announce. However, it appears that the original raspberrypints project has been pretty much abandoned by its developers, and thus you have to make do with whats out there...

-Th

Just be careful doing that...enough hard reboots and it will corrupt your drive. I learned that the hard way with my first install, so hopefully you've made a backup once everything's good and setup to your liking.

What you're saying is correct, however there is ways to minimize exposure:
(1) Use a USB thumb drive or SSD for your OS, the RPi install and all your data. If there is no write's to the SD-card, it won't fail. There is how-to's abound..
(2) make sure the OS has a chance to exit cleanly. In the standard RPints install, there is no on-screen option to do so, I've added since the following to my version of RPints attached below:

Cheers,
-Th

shutdwon.png

Since the initial announcement in the post at the following link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7128949&postcount=1384 I've had about a good dozen of installs, and folks reporting success - however a good part of them have been custom installs. Since then, aside from bug fixes, I've added two features that I've released back to github:

(1) you now can have different flow meters in your install. Thru the tap config screen, you can associate a correction factor per tap/flow meter, which means you can run the swissflo meters alongside the cheaper adafruit flow meters on the same install. The first screen cap shows the inputs for that.
(2) as mentioned earlier, the main panel has now the ability to restart the system, or just restart the flow meter service. The second screen shot shows that.

This goes along with the added features mentioned in the initial post above. I cut a preliminary release, some light reading and a download here: https://github.com/HentschelT/RaspberryPints/releases/tag/th-2.1.0

Feature-wise, this will all I'll be doing to RPints. I'm working on a new version of a tap list system, based on different hardware, and also a different software framework. I'd like to make the look/feel pretty much stay the same, but the underpinnings will change (along with easier install, etc). As soon as that's ready, I'll start a topic...

Cheers
-Th

PS: Thank you, 2kegger for the extra alamode, it did the job :)
Sorry, it' been very busy, thus never got a chance to reply to your last email. Merry Christmas to you!

tapconfig.png

shutdwon.png

CaptnDelta thanks so much! IMHO these were much needed features. I wish I was familiar with the languages that you guys are coding in so that I could contribute. Is there any chance of integrating some sort of RFID based user consumption stats into the new build? I ask mainly because you've already integrated the solenoid valve into the interface and I think that sort of feature would really lend itself best to allowing or disallowing beer pouring based on who is an authenticated user or whose account is in good standing or something like that.

Also I have been working on seeing of I can get raspberry pints to see d me an email or text in certain instances and so far I have gotten it to be able to send me a text and email when a beer is poured, but I can't seem to figure out how to add in the details I want into the email/text such as which beer it was and how much was poured. What is the best way to pass this info into the python script?

Beaglebone with Linux?

Yea, the BBB should make this whole thing cheaper and less complicated. Linux will stay, just don't like php and sql (there are like 5 different programming languages in this little project...), thinking more along the lines of Node.js and a noSQL db. We'll see...

-Th

CaptnDelta thanks so much! IMHO these were much needed features. I wish I was familiar with the languages that you guys are coding in so that I could contribute. Is there any chance of integrating some sort of RFID based user consumption stats into the new build? I ask mainly because you've already integrated the solenoid valve into the interface and I think that sort of feature would really lend itself best to allowing or disallowing beer pouring based on who is an authenticated user or whose account is in good standing or something like that.

Yea, sorry, I have no real use for that, and I'll probably not add anything new to RPints (I'll do bug fixes, tho).

Also I have been working on seeing of I can get raspberry pints to see d me an email or text in certain instances and so far I have gotten it to be able to send me a text and email when a beer is poured, but I can't seem to figure out how to add in the details I want into the email/text such as which beer it was and how much was poured. What is the best way to pass this info into the python script?

I think this should work:
Code:
import smtplib
from email.mime.text import MIMEText
msg = MIMEText('your msg text goes here')

me = '[email protected]'
you = '[email protected]'
msg['Subject'] = 'The contents of foo'
msg['From'] = me
msg['To'] = you

s = smtplib.SMTP( 'localhost' )
s.sendmail(me, [you], msg.as_string())
s.quit()

For the actual info, you'll have to pull that out of the mysql db. On the python side, in the current version of RPints, that comes with the whole rattlesnake of getting the DB log-in information parsed from the config files. If you install my version, there's already some work done, so you could use that...

Cheers
-Th

CaptnDelta, I'm glad you got that working! And no worries. I was gone on vacation anyway since the beginning of December. Now I need to get your latest code loaded. Thank you for all the work you have put in to this project!

Hello.

I've searched this thread and hadn't found anything useful. My system has been offline for awhile and I'm getting ready to get the keezer back online and decided to do a fresh install of RaspberryPints. I'm hitting a snag with the latest version and the installation of Chromium. When I enter the command as shown, I get an error...

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get -y install chromium-browser
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package chromium-browser is not available, but is referred to by
another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'chromium-browser' has no installation candidate​

Any help with this?

Last edited:
Havent installed in a while but I seem to remember that chromium is not available for whatever flavor they changed the os to. Did you use noobs? Look back a few pages and you should be able to find the working version of raspbian that you can get chromium on. When I am in front of a computer I will work on it for you.

Can't offer a fix, but I downloaded Chromium on a new raspberry pi this weekend, no issues.

Havent installed in a while but I seem to remember that chromium is not available for whatever flavor they changed the os to. Did you use noobs? Look back a few pages and you should be able to find the working version of raspbian that you can get chromium on. When I am in front of a computer I will work on it for you.

I did use noobs, based on the instructions for deploying RaspberryPints and when watching the install, it looks like it's 'jessie'.

So if I want to go with the 'wheezy', then I have to do the entire install from the beginning with recovery, correct?

Can't offer a fix, but I downloaded Chromium on a new raspberry pi this weekend, no issues.

Did you use the latest version of raspbian and what was the command line you used to do the installation of chromium-browser?

I did use noobs, based on the instructions for deploying RaspberryPints and when watching the install, it looks like it's 'jessie'.

So if I want to go with the 'wheezy', then I have to do the entire install from the beginning with recovery, correct?

Unfortunately, yes. It looks like there is no compiled version of chromium available for Jessie. Wheezy has an older version that you can still download and use.

Save yourself the trouble of using noobs and just download the raspbian wheezy from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/. Unfortunately you probably will have to go through the entire setup process again.

Unfortunately, yes. It looks like there is no compiled version of chromium available for Jessie. Wheezy has an older version that you can still download and use.

Save yourself the trouble of using noobs and just download the raspbian wheezy from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/. Unfortunately you probably will have to go through the entire setup process again.

Will do, thanks.

I'm getting ready to complete my 4 tap keezer and am in the process of getting all the parts that I'll need to run RaspberryPints w/ flow meters. Is the Alamode the only shield that will work or would it be possible to use the Arduberry (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K1KYHGC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20). I will be running the 4 flow meters and 2 temperature sensors.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,

So, I made my updates last nite, but didn't get around to testing with actual flow meters, since SWMBO was already in bed and the whistling of me blowing thru the flow meters would have driven her mad...

Got around to testing today, and also added a few things that should make dealing with the flow meter stuff a little easier.
  1. The RPints software now flashes the binary (the compiled arduino .ino file) to the alamode when it starts up. The hex file for this is included in the distribution.
  2. The alamode software (the one that was flashed) is now able to listen for configuration parameters. What they are is explained below.
This means that you won't have to fiddle with the arduino IDE anymore to change parameters (in fact they are no longer in the same form in the code). You still have to install the arduino software (RPints uses it internally), but no need to change anything in that anymore and upload it etc..

Now for the mentioned parameters:
When changing the tap config, the software now uploads the number of flow meters and their pin numbers.
It also uploads:
  1. the pour message delay: This is the time in milli-seconds that we wait for more counts to come in after the counter already stopped. It basically waits for that amount of time after the flow already stopped to see if it restarts again to be considered for the pour
  2. the pour trigger count: that's the minimum flow meter count that needs to be received before it is considered a pour. For high-resolution meters like the swissflow, this should probably be around 200 to 300 (the original value was 300). For low-resolution meters, this needs to be set lower to not miss smaller pours (I got it at 25 on mine)
  3. the kick trigger count: this is the count the flow meters need to issue within one millisecond to kick the keg. The original value was 30 for swissflow meters. This may not work too well on lower resolution meters, I set mine to 5 and it's not always triggering. If you don't want your keg to automatically be kicked when this counter trips, set this to a high value (500 should do for any counter)
  4. the pour update count: This is the count after which the alamode reports a flow update to RPints. This is currently only used for the automatic shutoff when large pours occur. For high-resolution meters, a good value is probably around 1500 or 2000. For low-resolution meters, I've set mine to 250. If this value is too low for your flow meters, it may make the alamode miss pour counts, so high is better than low.
As a note, all but the last parameter were already in the original .ino file, they ware just hardcoded values.

The screen shot attached below shows the tap config screen as it is now, and you can see the text fields to change the alamode parameters in the middle. When you hit "Update Alamode Config", or if you hit any "Save Tap Config" or if you reduce the number of taps, the alamode is reset, the parameters are uploaded, and the alamode is again ready to count with the new settings. This process takes about 2 seconds.

As far as installing: I already posted some instructions a few posts ago here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7130076&postcount=1387.

Some additional notes on that:
Make sure you get the right Zip file from the github page, that page wants to switch on you to the master branch, but the changes are all in the 'Version2' branch. Here is a direct link to the zip file:
https://github.com/HentschelT/RaspberryPints/archive/Version2.zip

If you get thru the install, and the Pints web site shows up for the first time, in the admin panel go to the 'personalize' page (the little gear in the upper right corner), and enable everything but '4k monitor support' for now. Hit save.
With that you can set up your taps in the tap config panel by hitting "My tap config" on the left. You can set the valve pins even tho you don't have anything hooked up, it just doesn't do anything. You can use '0' for all valves, or use the valve pin values in the screen shot, they should be ok, but *don't* ever use pin 18, it resets the alamode.

If you get up and running, you can disable solenoids and fan support in the personalize page (it can always be turned on later).

To trouble shoot your (non-reading) flow meters: the flowmon service now logs what it has been up to to the file /var/log/rpints.log. This file gets overwritten when the service is restarted (just so it doesn't fill up your sd card over time). This also means that in case of trouble, you'll have to save that file *before* rebooting or restarting the flowmon service, so that we have a chance to see what went wrong.
You can look at this log via:
Code:
more /var/log/rpints.log
if you wanna see it update live in a terminal, use
Code:
tail -f /var/log/rpints.log

Good luck with the install, post any problems into the thread here. For a meaningful problem report, please include the following two files:
* /var/log/apache2/error.log
* /var/log/rpints.log
You can rename those to a .xml extension since the forum software doesn't allow you something with an extension with .log (silly stuff)...
Whatever you do, make sure to have good backups of your current stuff!

Have fun,
-Th

What step am I missing????? From the My Tap Config screen when I click on save tap config it states it is waiting for local host at the bottom then changed what I entered in the three columns back to zeros. What can I do to get the pin, count, and valve pin to stick? Please help

I fell like I am getting closer.

Should the first 3 lines within the log file point out my PIN numbers for my 3 valves that I set? Pin 5, 6 and 7

What does the error mean that reflashing alamode failed?

Thanks all.

Matt

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back