[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I tried yesterday with all the errors shown above. But I'm thinking when you update/upgrade it defaults to the latest version and tries to upgrade to it.

Never used Linux before but am beginning to understand some of the commands. I looked for a minute last night and I think there should be a way to stop update/upgrade to keep it from doing that to the os.

Noobs 1.4.1 or 1.4.2 work best.

Don't use the newer Jessie versions.

1.4.2 is what I tried to start with. I'm reloading it onto the sd card again as I type this.

I think I'm going to wear out the card before I get it working. ;)

I did try an older version of wheezy this morning and not updating but got too many errors in the php5 mysql portions.

Latest update:

Okay. Started over this morning from scratch.
Down loaded Debian wheezy release date 5-5-2015.
Which happened to be the same as the first wheezy I tried but that is moot now.
This was the last they had so I figured it should have had all of its updates at the time.
Began.
Got to the point where you apt-get update and tried without doing that or the upgrade.
Then went with the update.
Success.
Avoided the upgrade because this is where things started going haywire before.
Success again.
Chromium installed.
Downloaded and installed RaspberryPints-2.1.0 from the pi.
Minor blip unzipping it to root but worked that out.

Now RPints configuration.

Got on my desktop typed in the ip and voila. I'm there.
Didn't change the username from localhost and logged in with the password I had from install.
Since I'm on my desktop my first impulse was hit enter.
I did.
Loaded up the taplist page on the pc.
Then tried to finish configuring the program.
I'm nowhere now.

I can look at the page from the pc.
I can get to the login page from the pc. But cannot log on.
The pi when rebooted just goes to an all black screen.
Eventually it will go to the command prompt.

Where do I go from here?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I can ping google from the pi. But can't get to the desktop.
startx goes to blank screen.

Here is a capture of the error from the desktop.

rpints capture.jpg

Run raspi-config and see if it's set to start to command prompt or to desktop

desktop. but it is configed to go straight to chromium.

I think I may have my keyboard, the one that is on the list from amazon, may be configured wrong since F11 doesn't seem to release me from that.

Anyone know what the settings should be exactly.

So you're running in kiosk mode. id go back and not do that till you are sure that everything is working right.

That's the way the directions are set up.

Went back this morning, formatted, and reinstalled everything again. A few minutes ago I got to the installation page again and input usernames/passwords in all the fields. Check marked the box for seeing some sample recipes.

Couple of warnings and then success on everyting up until
"Running Database Script...error in query"
Right after "Creating RPints database user...Success!"

The light in the wireless usb adapter is still blinking and an occasional green blink from the processor on the pi.

I've got to go now and look at a granddaughters' car. So I'm walking away from it as is for now.

The page said "Creating RPints database user...Success!" just before the "Running Database Script...error in query".

Left for about 4 hours and it was still at that spot.

Closed browser and rebooted. Still no good.

Tried the apt-get upgrade. then it would no longer boot.

Setting it up again as I type.

When you do the OS installation are you running raspi-config and expanding the file system to use the whole SD card?

Cheers!

You sir are now my hero.

The only issue I have now is that when I go to the address of the pi I get the index of/ page instead of going directly to the running program. But everything seems to be working.

Looks like it may not have extracted to the root folder.

Thanks all for the help so far.

I'll see if I can't screw it up again now. LOL

Always happy to help get people down off high ledges ;)

I agree that - given the breadth of the potential user base - the R'Pints installation instructions should have included that file expansion step.
In the Raspian scheme of things that's pretty basic - yet I bet at least half of all Raspbian users get bit by it eventually.

Wheezy defaults inbound html requests to /var/www, so you want your index.php file (and all its linked files) residing there. Otherwise, you'll need to use the explicit path to index.php in the url.

And, fwiw, back when R'Pints first released and I did my first install, within minutes I switched away from running in kiosk mode, instead booting to the LXDE gui and launching Chromium from there. I just prefer it that way, because when things go south it's easier to recover, and in any case, reboots are exceedingly rare here. F11 makes Chromium go full-screen...

Cheers!

You'd still have to do the stuff at the end of step 9, which starts with
Code:
sudo cp flowmon /etc/init.d

Remember, when checking if the service is running, you have to grep now for
'PintDispatch', and not for 'flow_monitor'.
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon start
ps aux | grep PintDispatch

Then go ahead and install the service
Code:
sudo update-rc.d flowmon defaults

At this point, you can check the log output to see what's going on
Code:
more /var/log/rpints.log

If you need to restart, stop or start the service, the best way to do this is via the following commands
Code:
sudo service flowmon stop
sudo service flowmon start
sudo service flowmon restart

Remember, starting or restarting wipes out the /var/log/rpints.log file, so if there is something in there that would help debugging, save that file to some other place before restarting the service.

Cheers,
-Th

Sorry to bring this back but I am having similar issues. When running both of these:
sudo cp flowmon /etc/init.d
sudo cp /var/www/python/flowmon /etc/init.d/

I receive this error:
cp: cannot stat `flowmon': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/var/www/python/flowmon': No such file or directory

Is there a way to verify if the file is properly there? Not sure if it makes a difference but when I did a...
sudo nano /etc/init.d/flowmon
&
sudo nano /var/www/python/flowmon

...both files were completely blank. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am finally ready to go live with this build (rpints/brewpi) other than the flow meters working.

Please verify that the RaspberryPints kit is the 2.0.1 release, linked here:
https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints/archive/2.0.1.zip

The RaspberryPints Download page is horribly constructed and if you're not paying undue attention you're going to download v2.0.0 - which does not have a flow monitor service, hence no flowmon or flowmonitor.sh to run...

Cheers!

Check var/www/html/…

Please verify that the RaspberryPints kit is the 2.0.1 release, linked here:
https://github.com/RaspberryPints/RaspberryPints/archive/2.0.1.zip

The RaspberryPints Download page is horribly constructed and if you're not paying undue attention you're going to download v2.0.0 - which does not have a flow monitor service, hence no flowmon or flowmonitor.sh to run...

Cheers!

Appreciate both of your quick reponses.

Day_Trippr - sorry if this is an easy one but how would I upgrade to 2.0.1 in case I am on 2.0? Does that require a fresh install?

I ran... sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade .... but wasn't sure if I needed to actually do something that pointed to the v2.0.1.zip?

Hello All,

I have been reviewing the HBT website for about 6 months and started my project about 3 months ago. Everything has been great and loving it except for getting the Swissflow meters working.

Raspberrypints.ino is setup for two meters on digital ports 5 and 6. Upload of board is successful. Alamode has the USB cable hooked up for power. Pin is setup correctly and it powers the pi.

I am running NOOBS with 2.0.1 installed. I purchased the meters directly from swissflow and requested longer meters. They have the three grey cables with one side with the black line. I hooked up the black line for the ground as per the instruction that they sent. Opposite end is what I hooked up to VIN. Middle cable goes to digital 5 on one 6 on the other meter.

1. Does the black line equal the instructions flow meters from ebay with the red line?
2. I see from all the pics in the post and the instructions that power the meters is VIN. But I see sometimes a mention of 5V. So do I plug the meters about for jumps up from the ground into the 5v port instead of VIN?

I can start, stop, check status of flowmon just fine from /etc/init.d directory

I keep a chromium window opened.

When I have flowmon started and test ps aux | grew flow_monitor.py I get a return. That looks like what is in the instructions. After the /user/bin/python it gives my var/www/python directory (picture added)

This might be a stupid question but the light bulb just has not went off. What is the difference of the flowmon and flow_monitor.py files in the etc/init.d and the var/www folder?

Flow_monitor.py should NOT be in the etc/init.d folder correct? As the flowmon script just calls the flow_monitor.py file from your raspberry pi python directory? That means you could delete the flowmon file out of the raspberry pi python directory?

When I run .py it just sits there. Within arduino IDE I have turned on serial monitoring and nothing passes while doing the test.

Any ideas would help. Tried two pi's. 4 alamodes.

My thoughts are I don't have the flow meters hooked up correctly, bad flow meters, or NOOBs. I did see posting around page 105 that noobs does not work but then a few post later it says it does.

Thanks again.

Matt

image.jpg

Any version of rasbian that's come out in the past 5 years should run rpints. I recommend against noobs because it's has screwed up other projects I've tried to run, like strange brew and brewpi. there should be no reason why it wouldn't work, other than no one being able to figure out how to workaround apache changing up their entire directory structure in the latest iteration of Jesse, even though there is an easy fix, it tends to scare the bleep out of everyone that finds the issue on their own.

[...]Day_Trippr - sorry if this is an easy one but how would I upgrade to 2.0.1 in case I am on 2.0? Does that require a fresh install?

I ran... sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade .... but wasn't sure if I needed to actually do something that pointed to the v2.0.1.zip?

RaspberryPints distributes full archives and doesn't support apt-get.
You'll basically unpack the v2.0.1 kit on top of the existing installation.

I would not bother installing v2.0 as once the database is created you'll end up having to export tables from it and then import those to the new database when the 2.0.1 installation is completed. More trouble than its worth to do so early (if you had a six month old database that'd be a different story)...

Cheers!

Any version of rasbian that's come out in the past 5 years should run rpints. I recommend against noobs because it's has screwed up other projects I've tried to run, like strange brew and brewpi. there should be no reason why it wouldn't work, other than no one being able to figure out how to workaround apache changing up their entire directory structure in the latest iteration of Jesse, even though there is an easy fix, it tends to scare the bleep out of everyone that finds the issue on their own.

Thanks for the response.

It has to be the Swiss flow meters. Like I said previously I ordered directly from swissflow. They are the short gray cables installed with the black line on the one side. I use the middle cable plugged in to the digital pin 5. Other side without the black line goes to VIN. Black line goes to ground.

If I take my meter off the tap line and look inside the meter hole should I see the red light?

Matt

Couldn't tell you, I've never come in contact with a Swiss flow meter, so someone else will have to chime in here. the best I can give is, you must be close to wired up correctly as you never said, "when I plug in my meters, the Alamode goes off!" (which would indicate that the ground is going to vin and the vin to ground). perhaps you have vin and signal backwards.

Thanks for the response.

It has to be the Swiss flow meters. Like I said previously I ordered directly from swissflow. They are the short gray cables installed with the black line on the one side. I use the middle cable plugged in to the digital pin 5. Other side without the black line goes to VIN. Black line goes to ground.

If I take my meter off the tap line and look inside the meter hole should I see the red light?

Matt

fwiw, the wiring sounds correct.

As the light source is an infrared LED, you won't see it unaided.
If you have a digital camera with a lousy IR filter and aimed it down the meter bore - in an unlit room - you might detect a glow...

Cheers!

fwiw, if it ever came to pass that the authentic Raspberrypints.com went tits up, I have the site mirrored locally, and through the graces of Google Drive could go live with it in short order...

Cheers!

fwiw, if it ever came to pass that the authentic Raspberrypints.com went tits up, I have the site mirrored locally, and through the graces of Google Drive could go live with it in short order...

Cheers!

Gotta love the modern day interwebs!

I created an offline version of the instructions (with flow controllers), so that I can be sure it's on hand when my controllers arrive.

Thumbs up to all the devs working on this, and the community that is also helping to support and shape it.

Great project!

Man RPints is really pissing me off... I had everything previously setup in Wheezy with my Draft list, but after a few power outages the SD got totally corrupted, fsck was no help at all. So I'm setting everything up again using NOOBS 1.5, which apparently is Jessie and the whole process just seems to be a pain in the ass. I managed to get Chromium working, but now after installing the LAMP Tools and extracting RPints 2.01, when I load to the server I am just stuck in a generic "Index of /" directory. Trying to manually specify /index.php doesn't seem to do anything either, and I've also tried using apt-get remove to uninstall all of the PHP/Apache tools, and then proceeded to reinstall them.

What's weird is that when reinstalling, I no longer have the option to configure the DB or set and admin password. Should I try something else, or just hose the install and start over on 1.4/Wheezy, which I know worked fine in the past?

Man RPints is really pissing me off... I had everything previously setup in Wheezy with my Draft list, but after a few power outages the SD got totally corrupted, fsck was no help at all. So I'm setting everything up again using NOOBS 1.5, which apparently is Jessie and the whole process just seems to be a pain in the ass. I managed to get Chromium working, but now after installing the LAMP Tools and extracting RPints 2.01, when I load to the server I am just stuck in a generic "Index of /" directory. Trying to manually specify /index.php doesn't seem to do anything either, and I've also tried using apt-get remove to uninstall all of the PHP/Apache tools, and then proceeded to reinstall them.

What's weird is that when reinstalling, I no longer have the option to configure the DB or set and admin password. Should I try something else, or just hose the install and start over on 1.4/Wheezy, which I know worked fine in the past?

I havent done a reinstall in a while, but have you deleted the index.htm(l) file that is in the www folder by default?

I had a similar issue back on page 145. The root directory in Jessie is /var/www/html, not /var/www. It used to be /var/www in Wheezy. So install your RPints into /var/www/html and it should be fine.

I havent done a reinstall in a while, but have you deleted the index.htm(l) file that is in the www folder by default?

Yeah, I did delete the index file. When it was there, the page loaded to that index file showing the default apache page. But since deleting it it just goes to the generic '/index' page.

I may just try going back to wheezy to see how it goes.

Yeah, I did delete the index file. When it was there, the page loaded to that index file showing the default apache page. But since deleting it it just goes to the generic '/index' page.

I may just try going back to wheezy to see how it goes.

Be sure and heed @eulipion2 's bit as well. I do seem to remember that being part of it as well with the more recent versions.

I had a similar issue back on page 145. The root directory in Jessie is /var/www/html, not /var/www. It used to be /var/www in Wheezy. So install your RPints into /var/www/html and it should be fine.

Thanks pal, much appreciated... that did the trick! Figured it was something stupid.

Maybe we should look into throwing together a wiki or something like that, as it's difficult to find the info you need in a 150+ page thread...

Wheezy defaults inbound html requests to /var/www, so you want your index.php file (and all its linked files) residing there. Otherwise, you'll need to use the explicit path to index.php in the url.

When I open var/www the folder RaspberryPints-2.0.1 is in there.
Open that and all it's folders are there including index.php.

Is that what you're saying?

I'm wanting to run in kiosk mode so when I go into the bar area I want a motion detector on the the outlet for the pi and have it come on automatically.

Right now when I start it it goes to the desktop. Or if I go to the address it has a generic apache page with the ripints folder showing. Click on that and it opens up the taplist.

What have I got configured wrong?

When I open var/www the folder RaspberryPints-2.0.1 is in there.
Open that and all it's folders are there including index.php.

Is that what you're saying?

Yes.

Right now when I start it it goes to the desktop. Or if I go to the address it has a generic apache page with the ripints folder showing. Click on that and it opens up the taplist.

What have I got configured wrong?

To start in "kiosk mode", you need to edit ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart and add the necessary lines there as shown here.:

Code:
@xset s off
@xset -dpms
@xset s noblank
@chromium –kiosk localhost

As for accessing the tap list page, if you use http://your.system.ip.address/index.php, what happens?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back