[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to thank everyone who has had a part in creating and maintaining this project, especially @RandR+, @Tobor_8thMan, and @LBussy. I came upon it last week and wanted to get it running for my setup, but I realized I would prefer not to dedicate an RPi to the task since I don't currently have plans to use any of the physical aspects of the project. Since I've already got a server running, I decided to spin up a Docker container using RandR+'s code (with very helpful snippets of code from LBussy's script). If there is interest out there from others in running a Docker version of RPints, I could publish my code on Docker Hub for anyone to use. I think I've already got it in a state that anyone could use. I designed it to use Docker Compose with environment variables to set the various aspects. It is based off the linuxserver.io nginx docker image (I used nginx instead of apache), and it uses the mariadb image for its database and phpmyadmin image for admin access to the database. For anyone who doesn't plan to implement physical features like flow meters, this could potentially be an easier way to get the software running (and allows you to run it on any system with docker instead of exclusively an RPi).

This is exactly the same setup I would like to go for. I would be interested to use your image.

Do you think this is right?
yes it sounds like the issue is that its trying to communicate on serial.

in the python/Config.py file put the following in the last line the restart flowmon (sudo /etc/init.d/flowmon restart)
config['flowmon.port'] = '/dev/ttyS0'

program in the last 3 years or so
multiple people have made changes to the original Rpints. Kal updated the MySQL calls so that it works on Raspbian Stretch and later.

I took the base, rewrote it and added a bunch of features to make it easier to configure

Ok tried that and now Im getting this error message
I'm at a loss here, I use straight serial not USB, but I would have expected that if you use the port that work to upload then Flowmonitor should have been able to make a connection to it also. ill do some more digging on the error to see if there is some setting for python that needs to be changed

I walked this subthread back to where @troyp42 first encountered the failure and am wondering if the Arduino took a dirt nap...
That was my first eBay Arduino that failed the first time around. I ditched that and brought a new one from jay car which was $25 but should have been more reliable. If this one has also failed then I don't know why. I actually connected this one up to its own 9V power source hoping it would be more reliable.

How did you get it centered?
I went into the style.css file and under Header Center to will see something called "padding-top". I think it was set at 25px. I changed that to 15px and added another line called "padding-bottom" and set that at 15px as well. I hope that helps. I honestly have no idea what I am doing. I just try different things until I get the outcome I want.

multiple people have made changes to the original Rpints. Kal updated the MySQL calls so that it works on Raspbian Stretch and later.

I took the base, rewrote it and added a bunch of features to make it easier to configure
Cool, so what kind of features?

so what kind of features?
more analytics on pours, easier to configure (no need to modify the Arduino code), Plaato integration, motion sensor (from day_trippr) integrated), untapped import, weigh scale integration, Ability to change Units of measure displayed....

more analytics on pours, easier to configure (no need to modify the Arduino code), Plaato integration, motion sensor (from day_trippr) integrated), untapped import, weigh scale integration, Ability to change Units of measure displayed....
I gotcha. One thing I always wished this program had was another tab for kegged beers. I like that you can use the "My kegs" as basically an inventory of your kegs. But when I keg something, it doesn't necessarily go on tap right away. And I do 10gal batches so that's even more true. It would be cool to show a list of kegged beers and then when you tap something it will pull it off that list and put it on tap.

tentenbrews said:
I like that you can use the "My kegs" as basically an inventory of your kegs. But when I keg something, it doesn't necessarily go on tap right away.
So, you would want your Conditioning Kegs displayed on the main web page?

if you run multiple taps, you would still need to assign a tap number when you change the status of a keg from Conditioning to Serving, so I don’t think the process can get anymore automated than what it is.

if not known, the ability to mark the status of a particular keg as Conditioning with a specific beer already exists. It just doesn’t display on the main page.

So, you would want your Conditioning Kegs displayed on the main web page?

if you run multiple taps, you would still need to assign a tap number when you change the status of a keg from Conditioning to Serving, so I don’t think the process can get anymore automated than what it is.

if not known, the ability to mark the status of a particular keg as Conditioning with a specific beer already exists. It just doesn’t display on the main page.
You can mark a keg as Conditioning yes, but you can't assign a beer to it unless you tap it. You could write it in the notes I suppose. I'm not looking for it to display on the main page. In the management portal you have the three tabs, My Beers, My Kegs and My Taps. Have another tab there called My Kegged Beer. When you keg a beer you would go in there and assign a beer from your list to a keg from your list. Then when you tap a keg it would look at that list. You have a list of all your beer recipes, a list for all your kegs, why not a list for all the kegged beer. I hope that all makes sense.

tentenbrews said:
You can mark a keg as Conditioning yes, but you can't assign a beer to it unless you tap it.

I was under the impression you were running RandR+ Version. If so, you most certainly can assign a beer to a conditioning keg. When it’s time, you can then move the Keg assignment to Serving and then assign a Tap to that keg....all the while maintains the keg # and beer synergy.
3FC4DC38-9E65-4AFE-9565-AE58901B6266.png

I was under the impression you were running RandR+ Version. If so, you most certainly can assign a beer to a conditioning keg. When it’s time, you can then move the Keg assignment to Serving and then assign a Tap to that keg....all the while maintains the keg # and beer synergy.
Well isn't that slick. I guess I need to figure out how to install that version. Can you point me in the right direction?

https//www.rpints.com

I shared with you functionality from RandR+’s fork.

this is just my recommendation...but, I would get another SD card and build from new....that way if something runs amok, you have your original and nothing lost but time.

https//www.rpints.com

I shared with you functionality from RandR+’s fork.

this is just my recommendation...but, I would get another SD card and build from new....that way if something runs amok, you have your original and nothing lost but time.
Awesome thank you. And thanks to RandR+ for the rewrite.

Excuse my ignorance, I am not a techie kinda a guy. So swapping SD cards is all it takes to have a totally different setup on the RaspPi? Nothing is actually stored on the Pi? Putting in a new SD card is like starting off with a new unused Pi?

tentenbrews said:
So swapping SD cards is all it takes to have a totally different setup on the RaspPi? Nothing is actually stored on the Pi? Putting in a new SD card is like starting off with a new unused Pi?

That is correct.

Get an SD card. Use something like BalenaEtcher to install the latest Rasbian.
(I like to set-up wireless and SSH into my Pi so I use a small application that @LBussy put together: lbussy/headless-pi )
Shutdown your Pi, remove the current SD card. Install you new SD card.
Visit rpints.com and run the script on the web page and follow the prompts and answer accordingly
Once loaded, start to tweak RPints.

...once successfully installed, you "might" be able to get any data you generated from your old install into your new install, but if it is possible, you'll need more advanced help.

That is correct.

Get an SD card. Use something like BalenaEtcher to install the latest Rasbian.
(I like to set-up wireless and SSH into my Pi so I use a small application that @LBussy put together: lbussy/headless-pi )
Shutdown your Pi, remove the current SD card. Install you new SD card.
Visit rpints.com and run the script on the web page and follow the prompts and answer accordingly
Once loaded, start to tweak RPints.

...once successfully installed, you "might" be able to get any data you generated from your old install into your new install, but if it is possible, you'll need more advanced help.
Awesome, thanks! I think I can figure this out. I also need to update my BrewPi so I have some work ahead of me.

I walked this subthread back to where @troyp42 first encountered the failure and am wondering if the Arduino took a dirt nap...
Assuming its the Arduino again. 1. why does this keep happening? 2. What can I do to stop it?? 3. How can I test the Arduino to see if thats whats at fault?

EDIT- So I brought this as my second board which I assume isn't genuine.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/duinotech-uno-r3-development-board/p/XC4410
I was thinking of buying this one which is twice the cost but is genuine, but would only do so if I knew it wasn't going to fail like the last 2 boards have?

https://core-electronics.com.au/arduino-uno-r3.html

Last edited:
So, the Raspberry Pints program is what got me to homebrewtalk, so Thanks in advance to everyone who is helping out here! I'm planning to buy a Raspberry Pi 4 and an UNO board for flow meters. I use Linux at home, so I'm comfortable with the OS; however, I've never set up an arduino. I'm honestly not sure if I need to plug it in, set jumpers, etc., and I'm not quite sure where to find that information. The official website has older hardware, and while I have found in reading through this thread that I can use the UNO board, I can't find any hardware settings otherwise. (And I mean actual "here's where you plug in the flow meters and this is how you hook it to the RP4" kinds of things.) Maybe it's somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it by searching.

Also: Is the official site the place to download the software still? I see that @RandR+ has done some upkeep, but I don't know where that repo is if it isn't linked from the official page.

Is the official site the place to download the software still
No there is now an easy to use installer just run the following in the terminal
curl -L install.rpints.com | sudo bash
that is registered to a member here, and they may not renew it so if it doesn't resolve use
curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rtlindne/RaspberryPints/master/util/installRaspberryPints | sudo bash

they are the same thing just shorter URL. That installer will do all the software setup for you.

As to the UNO, I don't have much experience, but from I can tell its mostly powering it using an external power source, then plug the USB into the PI. As to where you plug the flow meters into, its pretty straight forward, plug the dc+ from the meters into the 5v on the board, plug the dc- from the meters into a gnd then plug individual output wires into pin positions on the UNO (the pins marked 2-9)

Seems like you should be able to use /dev/ttyACM0 as the port then. I wasn't able to find anything useful while checking out other sites for your problem
Could I assume Ive somehow stuffed my second Arduino? Would buying a genuine stop this from happening?

Did you ever confirm the kill of the first Arduino using something like the IDE to load and execute some simple example sketches that come bundled with the tool?

fwiw, in my experience even the clones are fairly robust wrt incidental abuse. Right now, adding up all of the Arduino modules I have running (hang on...twelve) - most of them for years now - I've only lost one (a Sainsmart Uno R3, to a failed 3.3V regulator)...

Cheers!

Did you ever confirm the kill of the first Arduino using something like the IDE to load and execute some simple example sketches that come bundled with the tool?

fwiw, in my experience even the clones are fairly robust wrt incidental abuse. Right now, adding up all of the Arduino modules I have running (hang on...twelve) - most of them for years now - I've only lost one (a Sainsmart Uno R3, to a failed 3.3V regulator)...

Cheers!
Well Im not really sure what Im doing but with this Arduino I uploaded the Blink sketch to it from within the Raspberry Pi and the LED is now blinking.

So I then stopped the flowmon service, uploaded the raspberry pints.ino sketch and restarted the flowmon service again. Now its working again. So question...Does uploading the blink sketch delete the raspberry pints sketch? Like can the Arduino only hold and run one sketch at a time? Ive tried re uploading the raspberry pints sketch before and it didn't fox the issue especially with my last Arduino. So did uploading the blink sketch sort delete the raspberry pints sketch and then uploading it again fix the issue? Question is why does this keep happening?

UPDATE- I rebooted the Pi and now its stopped working again.... GRRRRR This is pissing me right off..Had to upload the sketch again to get it to work.. Whats going on here?

Last edited:
.Had to upload the sketch again to get it to work.. Whats going on here?
Can you look at /var/log/rpints.log from a text viewer? (you may want to restart Flowmon) the first few lines should look like
2020-05-10 14:17:22 RPINTS: resetting alamode to try to force it to listen to us...
2020-05-10 14:17:23 RPINTS: giving it a short break to wake up again...
2020-05-10 14:17:25 RPINTS: reflashing Arduino via:
avrdude done. Thank you.

if they don't and there is an error uploading then we can go from there

Can you look at /var/log/rpints.log from a text viewer? (you may want to restart Flowmon) the first few lines should look like
2020-05-10 14:17:22 RPINTS: resetting alamode to try to force it to listen to us...
2020-05-10 14:17:23 RPINTS: giving it a short break to wake up again...
2020-05-10 14:17:25 RPINTS: reflashing Arduino via:
avrdude done. Thank you.

if they don't and there is an error uploading then we can go from there
Since uploading the blink sketch and then reuplaoding the raspberry pints sketch ts now working again. But for how ,long this time??

My guess it will work until a restart, but if it stops measuring pours, check the admin -> log page for the latest event that happened in the code

what are your thoughts on adding the ability to report beer left in the keg in terms of pints rather than gallons? Would this be hard to add (including plaato users)?

Back