Vermont!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmendez29

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. So I'll be in Vermont for pretty much the entire month of October for work. My company is sending two of us out that way from Western Michigan. So we'll be heading out pretty early on Sunday morning and crossing through Canada. We figure we'll be around the Buffalo or Rochester areas around lunchtime. Probably not a good idea to drink, but maybe looking for someplace to grab a growler?

Then we'll be in the far southeastern end of Vermont by the evening. I've heard stories of roads that got washed out, any areas I should try to avoid? Aside from that, I'll have the occasional day off from work to explore the area. I've been told that Burlington has some decent breweries around. Anything else I should know about? I'll have a co-worker with me so I won't have final say over where we end up, but I'd like to not have a shortage of places to visit.

So... Whatcha got?

Another thought. Anyone know how much alcohol we're allowed to bring over the border? We've got a friend out there that visited a while back and he really liked Bell's Oberon and can't find it out there. I'd like to bring a case or two to him, but I don't want it confiscated at the border and I don't want to lie about having it.

I think it's 24 beers, 2 liters of alcohol, 200 cigarettes, 20 cigars you are allowed to cross the border with. I don't know if that's per person or per car.

I looked on the Customs website, and I couldn't find anything specific. Just that each state mandates how much you can bring in. I really don't want to spend 20-30 on a case of beer, only to have to pay another 30. I'll just skip it this time and see what I can find out on the way out there. But I do appreciate the info.

I live on the boarder so I have a little experience with this. I've never had a problem bringing alcohol into canada, but getting it back into the states is a little more difficult. Typically you're allowed a case per person, per 48 hours you're in Canada. Although if you keep your reciept for the beer to show you paid tax on it, you'll probably be fine, and if not duty is less than $3 per case, and only 60¢per bottle of wine. As for getting a growler in Buffalo, there's a place called the Pearl St. Brewery, it's downtown, and close to the Peace Bridge, and has pretty decent brews. Hope this helps a bit.

Latest posts

Back