Vermont Ale yeast oddity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelon83

Reaction score
I brewed up a pliney clone yesterday, warmed the wort to fementation temps (66f) and pitched. This morning I checked what I though would be a bubbling happy fermenter only to find nothing... no airlock activity, and no visible signs of life on the surface. I've had stalled starts before, so I wasn't worried. I figured I'd give the bottle a good swirl to mix everything back up. I no more then started the first rock when there was a weird noise. Foam was pouring out of the airlock from the bubbles escaping and the surface of the wort was entirely covered by an eighth inch of foam, instanly!

This is a BMB with a dual stopper lid. I have one connected to a blowoff and an airlock in the other. It wasn't plugged, it was almost like fermentation started under the trub layer and the gas was trapped there, really odd. Anyhow, I pumped the wort full of O2 for 30 seconds and now, about three hours later, It has a good 3-4 inch layer of yeasty protein goodness. :)

Anyone else ever witness anything like this?

Yes!
Same thing happened to me... I gave it a "WTF" shake and bam... It was like there was a force field that I broke.
Finished product tasted YUMMY.
I was using the Giga Yeast.
Cheers!

I brewed up a pliney clone yesterday, warmed the wort to fementation temps (66f) and pitched. This morning I checked what I though would be a bubbling happy fermenter only to find nothing... no airlock activity, and no visible signs of life on the surface. I've had stalled starts before, so I wasn't worried. I figured I'd give the bottle a good swirl to mix everything back up. I no more then started the first rock when there was a weird noise. Foam was pouring out of the airlock from the bubbles escaping and the surface of the wort was entirely covered by an eighth inch of foam, instanly!

This is a BMB with a dual stopper lid. I have one connected to a blowoff and an airlock in the other. It wasn't plugged, it was almost like fermentation started under the trub layer and the gas was trapped there, really odd. Anyhow, I pumped the wort full of O2 for 30 seconds and now, about three hours later, It has a good 3-4 inch layer of yeasty protein goodness. :)

Anyone else ever witness anything like this?

Never seen this with our Vermont Ale yeast. Were you using The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale?

I just peeked into my yeast stash... I have a bag of giga dated 11-15-14 do you think it's junk or starter worthy?

For a few cents worth of DME and some time, it's all starter worthy. You just need a few million cells to start the stepping, I'd go for it.

Back