Vegetal Flavors With Galaxy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
Let me preface this: I've brewed with galaxy before and had wonderful results.

My last 2 batches have been Galaxy-focused, keg-hopped IPAs and they're undrinkable. Prior to kegging I can get a hint of celery-like, grassy flavor (which, ruling out all other factors, I'm convinced it's the galaxy hops I used in the whirlpool) – but once it's kegged with the dry hops (also, Galaxy), that flavor is exponentially worse. Has anyone else had issues with galaxy hops as of recent? I've had grassy flavors in dry-hopped beers but this is unbelievable.

Galaxy is one of my favorite hops but I've failed in my 4 attempts brewing with it. I tend to get more of an overpowering melon flavor when I dry hop in keg with it- that is with both 2014 and 2015 pellets from YVH. Just received 8 ounces of the 2016 crop, and my next beer is going to be a final attempt at congress street clone

Was listening to an interview with modern times brewing and they were talking about, since getting commercial brew experience, that have have been paying more attention to the quality of those little bags of hops us homebrewers get. I forget who said it, but someone was talking about how he throws away about 1/4 of the Simcoe packets he gets (when homebrewing) because they smell bad. Also he used galaxy as another example.

It was the basic brewing podcast modern times episode. So basically, maybe you had some crappy packets of galaxy. Give a listen to the podcast if you can.

Was listening to an interview with modern times brewing and they were talking about, since getting commercial brew experience, that have have been paying more attention to the quality of those little bags of hops us homebrewers get. I forget who said it, but someone was talking about how he throws away about 1/4 of the Simcoe packets he gets (when homebrewing) because they smell bad. Also he used galaxy as another example.

It was the basic brewing podcast modern times episode. So basically, maybe you had some crappy packets of galaxy. Give a listen to the podcast if you can.

Yea I heard Michael Tonsmiere (Modern Times guy) talk about that. I usually just got to the LHBS and buy exactly what I need. I don't really buy extra hops just in case a couple bags are bad.

I have heard that there are two sources/growers of Galaxy in Australia - either in Tasmania or Victoria, with one farm being noticeably more grassy/vegetal than the other. Can't remember which was which and the whole story could have been a lie :D But it could explain why it was good but now it's not...

I have always found galaxy (for me) can seem to get away from what I like (especially in dry hop).

I tend to go 1:1:1 Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy in kettle/flame out/whirlpool type hops and then
1.5:1:.5 of the same hops in dry hop.

Personally, I love the hop, but find it a bit "much" if I use it in higher amounts dry hopping.

If it's not from a bulk bag you've used before with good results, I would suspect it was a bad bag. Years ago, I got a bad pound of Amarillo. Awful vegetal flavor plagued my beers and nearly drove me crazy. Finally identified the bag as the problem, but I've been gun shy on Amarillo since.

If it's not from a bulk bag you've used before with good results, I would suspect it was a bad bag. Years ago, I got a bad pound of Amarillo. Awful vegetal flavor plagued my beers and nearly drove me crazy. Finally identified the bag as the problem, but I've been gun shy on Amarillo since.

Were your beers undrinkable? Because these beers are, hands down, the worst thing I've brewed ever.

Were your beers undrinkable? Because these beers are, hands down, the worst thing I've brewed ever.

I had some Czech Saaz that I used in several pilsners... they kept coming out ultra grassy/harsh....just terrible. Kept trying to figure out how I was screwing up my beers so bad - in the end, it was the hops. Those beers were really bad - ended up dumping at least 3 or 4 kegs down the drain before I settled on the hops. Threw the hops away, bought new ones, next beer was fine.

I do think it is unusual that hops are the reason a beer is undrinkable(that was the only time I lay the blame on hops out of hundreds of batches of beer).... but, it can happen.

Yes,. I've also never had any luck brewing with galaxy. All five or six batches now over the past couple of years have been horrendous tippers. To the point I'm wondering how it can possibly be so, it's like the hops completely ruin the beer and tastes and smells inflected

Back