Variations in OG and FG in a Imperial Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todmclemore

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Sweet Potato Pie Imperial Porter. I've used my normal porter recipe and incorporated the pie spices, along with an additional 16 oz. of Sorghum Molasses.

I also used two containers of WYEAST 1450. The first interior packet didn't burst, so, I added another.

Normally (in a non sweet potato batch) my OG starts out around 1.08 and ferments to 1.02. (about 75% attentuation & 7.88 ABV)

This Sweet Potato Pie batch started at 1.09 and after the normal 7 days of primary fermentation, it has fermented to 1.03. (65% attentuation & 7.88).

My next step is to take it to secondary over some vanilla beans.

Questions:

1. Should I leave it in primary for a bit longer to allow more fermentation, or take it to secondary.

2. What would account for the difference in gravity range(s)?

3. Will the additional container of WYEAST damage the flavor in any fashion?

1. Why are you racking to secondary? Leaving it longer in primary will not hurt, and may help improve flavor. Also, it may not be done fermenting yet. Unless you have a reason to rack, you probably shouldn't.

2. The 16 ozs of Molasses will increase the OG by about .007. That should account for most of your difference in OG (volume, mixing, temperature can also make a difference). At 7 days it may not be done. 1.030 seems high. You might try raising the temperature to help it finish.

3. Not that you would notice. It probably helped it as a single pack would be way under-pitching.

Back