Sweet porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa

Reaction score
I racked an all grain porter into secondary today. OG was 1.069. Primary finished at 1.042. Way too high, right? 4.5 days at 18degC, fermentation started within 4 hours. Aeration good - I had only 6 litres in a 23 litre glass Carboy - so a vigorous 2 min shake gave it good aeration. Note that the remaining 14 litres went into a "hot cube" - to share with a friend later this week. I pitched a pack of yeast directly into the 22 degC wort ... no rehydration or yeast starter as I figured that 6 litres wouldn't need it.

Now, is it possible the wort will go from 1.042 down to 1.02 in secondary or will I be drinking a sweet 4% (versus 6.5% target) beer?

More importantly, what can I reasonably do on day 5 to get complete fermentation?

Are your SG readings with a hydrometer or refractometer? Refractometer readings need to be corrected when the sample contains alcohol.

Be cautious though. I had a porter hold at 1.018 for 6 days. Thought I mashed too high. Porter finished fermenting in the bottles. Month later the SG was 1.007.

You're 5 days into fermentation. Just wait. Don't rack to secondary. Don't shake up the fermenter. Leave it alone for another 5-15 days, then check the gravity.

Refractometer. I'll look up method for correcting for alcohol - thanks.

You're 5 days into fermentation. Just wait. Don't rack to secondary. Don't shake up the fermenter. Leave it alone for another 5-15 days, then check the gravity.

Have already racked. I split into two 4 litre carboys - one with dry hops and the other without. I also put some into a small PET Bottle, capped ... just to see if it's drinkable (and carbonated!) by the weekend.

So in your experience a high end-of-primary Gravity is not a sign of potential low attenuation? I've made sweet beer before and though it appeals to the mother in law it gets few credits from genuine beer lovers.

Have already racked. I split into two 4 litre carboys - one with dry hops and the other without. I also put some into a small PET Bottle, capped ... just to see if it's drinkable (and carbonated!) by the weekend.

So in your experience a high end-of-primary Gravity is not a sign of potential low attenuation? I've made sweet beer before and though it appeals to the mother in law it gets few credits from genuine beer lovers.

There probably aren't many low attenuating yeasts available that would be lower than 68% in the charts. Just guessing that these may be English strains. I usually find consistently better attenuation than the manufacturers numbers.

There probably aren't many low attenuating yeasts available that would be lower than 68% in the charts. Just guessing that these may be English strains. I usually find consistently better attenuation than the manufacturers numbers.

Would a temperature rise help; eg from 18 degC to 21? I based this recipe on an amalgam of several other porter recipes, trying to emulate polygamy porter. Target was invariably below 1.02. Could poorly treated yeast (sprinkled then splashed) be the issue? And recommended approach to recovery if it's still "stuck" in five days' time?

Raising the temperature to 21° to 22°C may get the fermentation going again. It will be slow if the fermentation does restart.

Which yeast did you use and how many grams?

I wouldn't check the SG for another week or longer. Give it time. Problem solving only if there is a problem. This will be a wait and see situation if any further action will be needed.

I used a 10g pack of Mangrove Jack M03 (UK DARK ALE) in a 6 litre wort. Medium attention and flocculation. Recommend 18-22degC. Best before Jun2017.

Seems I had this totally wrong folks! The porter isn't at all sweet. The problem was that I was previously unaware that a refractometer doesn't provide a valid gravity reading in the presence of alcohol. Beer tastes great 7d after initial fermentation.

I appreciate the advice / discussion.

Papa

Back