Vanilla?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JewWario

Reaction score
So my father in-law is very interested in me making beers. He asked me if there was a way to make a beer that tasted like a vanilla cream soda.

I was thinking it might be along the lines of a pale ale... but I'm unsure. Has this been done?

Take a look at Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale (there's a thread with about eight zillion posts on it). It's got lots of vanilla extract and lactose for sweetness. The challenge is the sweetness, you need something like lactose that won't ferment out. Personally, it's not my thing, but lots of folks seem to like it, so.... to each their own. Just know that it is NOT a true "cream ale" in the BJCP sense.

I made a cream ale, and added a vanilla bean in the secondary, was quite good, but it didnt taste like soda...

Ooh that sounds good.

Think I'll make it for my father-in-law for his birthday (new year's day). Have to make a groovy label for it.

I'll keep you all updated if I need help when I get ready to make it near the end of September.

aekdbbop said:
I made a cream ale, and added a vanilla bean in the secondary, was quite good, but it didnt taste like soda...

When flying from Detroit to Boston several years ago, I ended with a lay over in Memphis, TN (Yes, that is about 1200 miles in the wrong direction - it was supposed to be a layover in NY I think, but Mother Nature had other plans and somehow the airline thought this plan made the most sense). Anyways, while waiting at the airport in Memphis, I stopped in at a bar and ordered a vanilla cream ale. It was incredible, and really opened my eyes up that there was more to beer than 'Labatts Blue' or 'Molson Canadian'. Then I got to Boston and my brother took me to a microbrewery and I was officially a beer snob from then on. :)

Try brewing something like that and see if he likes it.

Bob

It may have been Nashville, not Memphis now that I think about it.

aekdbbop said:

i was thinking about adding a vanilla bean to the IPA i am about to rack to the secondary.....how did you make sure it was sanitized? Boiling seems like the obvious way, but will that ruin the flavor?

I use vodka. Slice the bean down the middle and scrape the innards out of the pod. Cut the pod up into little chunks and put all of it (chunks and guts) into a cup of cheap vodka while you're in primary then add it at secondary.

Wild

Back