Vanilla IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superdave

Reaction score
I saw "Vanilla Pepper IPA" in a signature once and after PMing the guy decided that a Vanilla IPA sounded interesting.

Because I don't want to possibly ruin a ton of beer, I plan on splitting the batch and putting half of it in a couple beans or some extract after fermentation.

For 12 gallons,
24lbs 2-Row
4 lbs C-20
60 minute hops 2oz Galena
30 minute 1 oz Cascade, 1 oz Amarillo
15 minute .5 oz Cascade
10 minute .5 oz Amarillo
5 minute .5 oz Cascade
0 minute .5 oz Amarillo

Should be about 6.2 ABV and about 50-51 IBU

You think those hops will work together okay? Think they'll complement an addition of Vanilla? Am I crazy yet?

Thoughts?

I think that sounds totally gross. That being said if you do this i really want you to prove me wrong. I would love to try a bottle of this if it comes out ok! I respect your crazy spirit man! Go get em!

I think you need bigger hop character in the late additions for 12 gallons, probably closer to an ounce of Cascade and Amarillo both. Considering dry-hopping as well to get lots of hops in the nose. 4 lbs of C20 is excessive....use a smaller amount of C60 or 80, probably in the neighborhood of a pound. I prefer my IPAs with more maltiness; Vienna, Munich, or Victory would be good additions here. In 12 gallons, I figure 2 lbs of Vienna or Munich or a single pound of Victory.

If you want a vanilla note, I think oaking would be a nice touch.

Okay, how about
24 lbs 2-Row
1 lb Victory
2 lbs C20

There are four hop additions in the last fifteen minutes, at a half ounce each time (so a total of 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz Cascade). Are you saying that each one should be one ounce in each of those additions? That would make the hops like this:

60 min 2 oz Galena
30 min 1 oz Cascade
30 min 1 oz Amarillo
15 min 1 oz Cascade
10 min 1 oz Amarillo
5 min 1 oz Cascade
0 min 1 oz Amarillo

Is that what you are saying?

Vanilla fits some beers well. Vanilla in an IPA, well that's just blasphemy! :D :D

Personally I'd save the Vanilla for a porter or a an apa/wheat, but that's probably because IPA's are almost a religious experience for me.

Brew on and let us know how it turns out.

Here's what I'm thinking, although I defer to OB for all things hoppy ;):

[size=+2]Superdave IPA[/size]
[size=+1]14-B American IPA[/size]

Size: 12.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 194.29 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.058 (1.056 - 1.075)
|=========#======================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.018)
|=================#==============|
Color: 10.87 (6.0 - 15.0)
|================#===============|
Alcohol: 5.74% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|=========#======================|
Bitterness: 65.0 (40.0 - 70.0)
|=====================#==========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
24 lb Standard 2-Row
1.0 lb American Victory
1 lb Caramel Malt 60L
2 oz Galena (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1 oz Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min

Personally I think that IPA has so much going on already in terms of hop flavor and aroma, and malt character, that vanilla will either get lost or not blend well. That's just my $0.02. But if you're just doing it with half a batch, let us know. Could be amazing.

Personally I think that IPA has so much going on already in terms of hop flavor and aroma, and malt character, that vanilla will either get lost or not blend well. That's just my $0.02. But if you're just doing it with half a batch, let us know. Could be amazing.

Hmm, well that is why I was going for a simpler recipe (with just the 2-row and C20) with a little less hops (still in the range of an IPA, just the lower end) so the Vanilla would have a chance to do something!

So I dunno...

I did try mixing an IPA with a little extract to get an idea if this was even worthwhile and I liked it. Like this, the Vanilla is mostly noticable in the aroma but I do get a hint of it in the flavor. Just makes it a bit more complex to me.

Vanilla IPA sounds so bad I have to go home and try it. I'm thinking I'll add a little extract in a glass and pour in the beer. That might be a way to try it out before you brew a whole (or a half) batch.

Extract and beans are not the same. It might give you an idea, but for the real thing, go with the beans, man.

I've seen Evan!'s Basil IPA and wondered how that would be as a "spiced" IPA. But I cannot wrap my head around a vanilla IPA...

I'd recommend trying a small experiment with a commercial IPA with the flavor added in the glass, so you don't waste any of your brew if it turns out foul.

No idea if that is a good idea or not...but one suggestion about vanilla extract. Like others have said the bean is probably best, but if you do want to use extract get some Mexican Vanilla extract. It can be a little pricey to get here in the states, but it is a whole world different than the cheap crap they sell at the grocery store.

I tried a glass of vanilla'd IPA tonight. I don't think I could drink 5 gallons worth, but I will say I enjoyed the glass. I'll probably do it again. I seem to recall a good eats episode where the host cautioned against using mexican vanilla extract. Some of the places that make it use some strange ingredients to get the flavor and you could get some carcinogens in your beer. Go with pure vanilla extract and you should be fine. Skip the imitation vanilla extract.

uwjester: I'm glad you tried it!

Maybe I won't "Vanilla" 6 gallons of it, maybe only 3 or so and try something else with the other three. I dunno... I like to experiment and think outside the box.

I was thinking it was funny that people think this is such a crazy idea, like an IPA is something that shouldn't be touched or messed with. With no looking (just reading forums) I've seen all kinds of crazy things put in pale ales, grapefruit, orange, etc. An IPA is simply a bigger 'n better pale ale... I don't really mean anything by that, just an observation that struck me as humorous.

Assuming I end up doing it, I think all I'll do is rack the beer onto some good quality beans. Just get a bit of a subtle taste and aroma.

To all the doubters, I say, give it a shot, don't knock it until you try it! :)

I just used two beans split down the middle for 5 days during secondary fermentation into a porter. The vanilla lends a nice tannic bite to the end, I think it would be a nice compliment to a floral hop. Go for it.

Have you thought about jasmine? I think it would work better than vanilla while giving you what you're going for.

Just to be contrarian, I think you should absolutely go with vanilla extract instead of vanilla beans.

I also think you should make your own vanilla extract out of vanilla beans, so you get the real thing and nothing but.

This way, you can add it at bottling strictly to taste and not have to worry about how long it's been on the vanilla or if you used enough of it.

There is no difference between a real, natural flavor extract and putting the flavor source directly in the beer - it's the exact same process that produces the flavor in both instances, alcohol leech.

Synthetic extracts are god-awful abominations unto the lord, but real, natural extracts are wonderful things, and simple to make. Saying extract is bad is like saying "I don't like beer." It might seem like a useful shorthand, but it conceals a lot of falsehood in its generality.

I brewed a mosaic smash that I ended up dry hopping twice over two weeks. I then decided to add different amount of vanilla extract to a few bottles. The result was great. It was a really fruity and bright with a creamy vanilla finish. I would do it again but probably not a whole batch.

I added about .5,1,& 1.5 teaspoons respectively to different bombers. and i would say about 1 teaspoon was my favorite.

Back