Vanilla beans in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acyr90

Reaction score
I want to make a vanilla stout next, but have seen that most people put the vanilla beans in after they've racked into a secondary. I only have 1 fermenting bucket & 1 bottling bucket. I'd rather not use the bottling bucket as a secondary fermenter for fear of leakage.

I've come up with 3 alternatives:

1: Add beans once fermentation has halted in the primary.

2: Rack to bottling bucket, clean fermenting bucket, rack back to fermenting bucket and add beans.

3: Rack into bottling bucket and leave the beans in there for a few days then bottle straight from the bucket.

#3 seems closest to using an actual secondary, but the spigot leaking scares me since it will be in there at least a few days. I ferment in a swamp cooler to keep temps down & don't know if it's safe to put the bottling bucket in there (different pressure from the surrounding water on the spigot). Also, is temperature a major concern while in a secondary? My house sits at ~73 degrees. If it's not I wouldn't be as opposed to leaving it in the bottling bucket since I won't need to also have to watch the temperature.

Thanks for the help.

Just go buy a plastic carboy. They are only like $18. You will be glad you did and you will use it again.

Eventually I'll get another bucket, but for right now that's not an option.

I'd just go with 1. I don't think there is really any need for the vanilla beans to be racked on top of.

That's what I was thinking too. Throw em in a hop sack until I get the desired flavor.

Latest posts

Back