Valve option for Igloo MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_23us

Reaction score
So I'm looking at building a 10 gal MLT out of a round Igloo cooler with a copper manifold, the question is whether to go with a SS valve or the Bronze valve. Money isn't that big of an issue, but if the wort is already going to be touching the copper manifold. I just don't want to over build the MLT if I don’t have too. I thought about a SS false bottom but decided against it. Thanks for all the help

IMO don't overthink that decision. Buy whichever one fits your budget. SS is better than Brass but hundreds of people make delicious beer with brass ball valves, it's not going to ruin anything.

For what its worth, I have had the brass/bronze valves on my MLT for two years. Its now starting to corrode and turn colors, just darken. The inside of the valve looks ok but the threads have the same issue with color change. Even though I use a pretty good amount of teflon tape and no issues with the beer, the valve condition just "bothered" me. I went with 3 piece stainless valves on everything. Super easy to clean and piece of mind. If money really wasn't an issue, the clover fittings would have been a nice upgrade to make also. No threads make for a very clean environment to brew in.

Just noticed where you are, I lived in El Reno for several years before the wind blew me back to Va. I guess OK finally left the stone age and its legal to brew there now? Or, are you a rebel Mike?

Back