Value in raising temperature after primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejuanald

Reaction score
Is there any value in raising the temperature after primary fermentation finishes? I made a big black ipa (OG 1.082 and the target FG is around 1.013) and used a 1.5L starter of WLP001. It's fermenting at 65F now.

I've seen recipes where they raise the temp 3-5 degrees after primary fermentation is completed. What is the purpose of that? Would there be any benefits to me increasing the temperature to 68 or so during the dry hop?

IMHO, if you are in a hurry, you can warm the yeast to make them "finish" faster. I personally let them do their thing over time at the same temp over the entire time. I figure if the yeast work at fermenting temps, they'll clean up at those temps too.

It really just depends on the yeast. Mosts yeasts will be fine if you keep them at a constant temp but some (like Conan) require a temperature ramp to fully attenuate. After the bulk of fermentation is done there's no harm in letting your beer rise to 69-70F until it's ready for packaging as long as you're dealing with ale yeasts.

But, except for those certain strains, there is also no harm in leaving the temps low & constant, correct?

:)

It really just depends on the yeast. Mosts yeasts will be fine if you keep them at a constant temp but some (like Conan) require a temperature ramp to fully attenuate. After the bulk of fermentation is done there's no harm in letting your beer rise to 69-70F until it's ready for packaging as long as you're dealing with ale yeasts.

That was my initial reason for asking because White Labs says 001 is optimal at 68-72 but I've read here that 65 is great for it so I am fermenting at 65 and I wondered if raising to the optimal range would be good after initial fermentation to finish it off. Thanks for all the answers!

If you have a good ferment, it's not needed- but it doesn't hurt and may help. So give it a shot. I do dry hop at slightly warmer temps.

Back