Utilizing kegerator when not brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tackett

Reaction score
Here is an odd question for all you guys...

I don't do much brewing in the winter months. I can't brew inside and standing outside in -10 or colder degree weather is not my idea of a good time. So generally the tap runs dry until at least april or May when I can tolerate long periods of the outdoors without having 10 layers of clothes and a big fuzzy hat.

Is there anything I can do to utilize my kegerator during this time? It just sits there. Is there a keg exchange service or something?

I'd like to find a product I can buy that's filled with beer. Just plug the lines up to it for the corney and go.

I can fit two corneys and a 5 gallon co2 bottle in the fridge, just so you get an idea of size.

Do you have a brew house close by? .... get filled there even if you have to fill a few growlers.

Get pony keg from liquor store and transfer to your own keg. Just try not to splash when transferring. Make sure you purge head space.

Buy more kegs and fill them before winter. Plenty of beers that can handle the ageing of a few months and many that are much better if they are aged. I have the opposite problem with summer, I just never get the time to brew in summer so I run dry by July most years. I have 3 kegs and need to get 2 more maybe 3. My fridge has room for 6 but I only ever have 1 tapped.

You could brew with extract or do partial mashing for your winter beers. I did this on the kitchen stove before going to all grain. Either will make good beer.

Maybe you could ramp up your brewing in the fall to have a supply available to drink during the winter. I know that is easier said than done, but just seems so sad to have a kegerator without beer.

Latest posts

Back