utility sinks large enough to set a primary in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1KD1

Reaction score
Hey guys, this probably seems like a stupid question but... Do any of you use utility sinks for cleaning and sanitizing? If so, which brand has large enough compartments for a 6.5 gallon carboy?

I have been trying to find a 2 hole sink that would allow me to lay a carboy on its side. The ones at my local depot and lowes seem to small to do much good when it comes to carboys.

I am willing to convert some other "tubs" or containers if anyone has any ideas. I'm pretty handy with tools but couldn't come up with any good ideas as I was stumbling around the hardware store.

Maybe I am missing something entirely, is there an easier way to clean/sanitize a 6.5 carboy?

I am working on moving everything to a utility area. Presently there is a utility sink there that is about 24 by 22. Way too small, as I have tried to clean the FV in it. My review of utility sinks on the homedepot site has led me to conclude that the ones in the range of 36-40 inches wide by 24 or so inches deep are the ones to get. Like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25e...&langId=-1&keyword=utility sink&storeId=10051

I'm about to order one, need to check with my plumber first. And will get a high faucet and a side sprayer.

I saw the same one but was hoping to have two holes (one for cleaner and one filled with sanitizer). That would be too much of an investment if I had to buy two.

I am converting a bedroom that has its own full bathroom into my fermenting/bottling area. I have been considering different types of tubs or pales, that I could arrange above the bath tub (subsequently draining into the tub). Making that my washing/sanitizing station. Obviously, the toilet has been removed to help provide a more sanitary environment! LoL!

I have approximately 12ft x 6ft area to work in.

Does anyone know the effects of using galvanized pales with sanitizing agents? What about plastics that aren't food grade?

Cost is an issue as I am a family man and have to put the kids before my obsessions :)

I just fill mine about 1/4 the way with hose water, a 1/2 scoop of oxyclean, and shake the everliving crap out of them. Works everytime!

I do this with a wash cloth inside, drain and then roll it around with a dry wash cloth inside.

Latest posts

Back