Utility sink recommendations wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcranford

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I want to install a utility sink in my garage/brewery/laundry room. I’d love a stainless or cast iron sink but they’re too expensive. So that leaves plastic, fiberglass, acrylic, etc. I‘ll be using it for brewing and sanitizing, but also for all the other things for which one uses a utility sink. My first thought is to get a fiberglass sink and paint it with a good marine paint for durability. On the other hand, if a plastic or fiberglass sink gets scratched up, does it really matter? It’ll be full of sanitizing solution regularly anyway. Thoughts? Thanks.

I have a fiberglass mop basin. At 24” by 36” by 12”, it’s nice and big for homebrewing. I’ve got the walls covered with plastic sheeting and it creates a good space for spray downs.

I’ve placed the basin on a slightly elevated frame, so that it’s not too high or low. Much easier to get fermenters and kegs in and out.

The plastic ones scratch easy and hold dirt and grime and look gross pretty quick from my experience with general use. Plus the legs are ridiculously flimsy. I wouldn't even consider one in the brewery. I've never had a fiberglass one.

A similar size single-bowl restaurant sink with a sideboard ran me about $300 a couple years ago. Looks like they are up a little now but it was well worth the money.

I have a fiberglass mop basin. At 24” by 36” by 12”, it’s nice and big for homebrewing. I’ve got the walls covered with plastic sheeting and it creates a good space for spray downs.

I’ve placed the basin on a slightly elevated frame, so that it’s not too high or low. Much easier to get fermenters and kegs in and out.
Thanks! The idea of elevating is a good one. Most sinks are too low for me.

The plastic ones scratch easy and hold dirt and grime and look gross pretty quick from my experience with general use. Plus the legs are ridiculously flimsy. I wouldn't even consider one in the brewery. I've never had a fiberglass one.

A similar size single-bowl restaurant sink with a sideboard ran me about $300 a couple years ago. Looks like they are up a little now but it was well worth the money.
I think you may have helped me persuade my wife that stainless is the way to go. We’ll be in this house a long time. No point in doing the sink twice.

fwiw, I picked up a $70 plastic laundry-ish sink that included the faucets and pull-out sprayer spout a few years ago.
Yes, they scratch easily, and keg rubbers leave black streaks that are a beyotch to get off.
But, BFD, it's a brew sink, not a Picasso ;) And for $70 I could replace it every handful of years.
brew_sink.jpg

Not that I wouldn't love an SS sink with integrated sideboard and backsplash. Maybe Santa will fix 2020 this Christmas :D

Cheers!

[ps: up side of plastic is it doesn't trump glass carboys on contact :)]

Last edited:
fwiw, I picked up a $70 plastic laundry-ish sink that included the faucets and pull-out sprayer spout a few years ago.
Yes, they scratch easily, and keg rubbers leave black streaks that are a beyotch to get off.
But, BFD, it's a brew sink, not a Picasso ;) And for $70 I could replace it every handful of years.
View attachment 706675

Not that I wouldn't love an SS sink with integrated sideboard and backsplash. Maybe Santa will fix 2020 this Christmas :D

Cheers!

[ps: up side of plastic is it doesn't trump glass carboys on contact :)]
I hear you. Santa is fixing 2020 for me with the new sink and a new 65l Brewzilla.

SS is definitely the way to go (esp. with a nice pre-rinse faucet), and should last a lifetime, so total life cycle cost might be better than you think. Check out Craigs List and other sources for used commercial kitchen items. Sadly a lot of restaurants have gone/are going out of business and so there may be more used inventory out there than usual, and those prices can often be a fraction of new.

That's pretty much what I have, but I'm sure that mine didn't cost that much. I set the bottom of my basin at 20" and the rim of the basin is at 30" above the floor. That really helps when hefting things into and out of the basin.

Yeah, mines been in for probably a decade, so I'm sure I didn't pay that!

I've got the base at 30" and the rim at 39 1/2", so its definitely work to raise a full carboy into the sink, but the working height is good when cleaning things, so a trade off. I can't stand bending over to work, so this is at a nice work-bench height. I may actually add a support in the rafters above and get a block and tackle to raise and lower heavy items. My back isn't getting any younger.

Back