USS Brewtanic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
I present to you the Brewtanic. The base is a rolling work cart with a butchers block top that was purchased from Sam's Club. The burners are a two burner set that came from Bass Pro shop. And the two Boilermakers were gifts from my super-awesome SWMBO and her super-awesome dad. I just got the second boilermaker, soon to be mash tun. I'll take pics of her in action next time I brew. On deck: Edwort's Haus Pale Ale.

IMAG0834.jpg

IMAG0837.jpg

IMAG0838.jpg

This is awesome. I assume the propane tank is behind the big door. Whats in the drawers? Brewing tools tools, a KVM from a desktop for brewing software access? What is the red button for? Does it lit the burners?

You are talking about SWMBO, right?

Well, while I'm not opposed to it, her being 6 months preggo probably means she isn't game.

This is awesome. I assume the propane tank is behind the big door. Whats in the drawers? Brewing tools tools, a KVM from a desktop for brewing software access? What is the red button for? Does it lit the burners?

Thanks!! :) You are correct, propane tank is behind the door. In the drawers are all my brewing stuff. It pretty much has everything in it with the exception of my CFC and stuff like that. The red thing is actually a magnet, not a button. I do want to add a push button ignition on it, just for convenience.

Due to a request, here is the tag off the propane burners.

Those must be low pressure burners based on that 60 kbtu rating. I would want something with more power for the BK or an HLT, but one of those would be perfect for the MT.

More BTU would be nice for the BK or the HLT, but the 60k worked just fine for both. I have zero complaints.

More BTU would be nice for the BK or the HLT, but the 60k worked just fine for both. I have zero complaints.

I have one of the 30 k burners just like one of those. It was marginally OK for 5 gallon batches, but it took forever to reach a boil when doing a 12 gallon batch. I bought an SQ-14 for the BK and it's been smooth sailing since. I do like the 30 k burners for my direct fired MT though. Excellent flame control at all levels.

How much of a temp drop did you have with using the Boilermaker as a mash tun with that insulation wrapped around it?

I dropped 2 degrees towards the end of the mash, but I just put one of the burners on the lowest heat setting and stirred for a few minutes, and I was fine.

Thanks a lot guys. I whooped up a logo for it. I think I'll get it printed up on vinyl, and slap it on the back.

BREWTANIC.jpg

Unfortunately for me, my burners don't have a low setting. It's balls to the wall or off.

I stood in front of that cabinet at Sam's for an hour, debating on whether to buy it or not to hold my electric kettles. Although it was nice, to many small drawers I couldn't utilize for brewing space. I do think it looks awesome though, love the butcher block top.

_

You probably already know this, but careful with the flame on that low thermo on the right kettle. You don't want to fry it. Your Blichmann's came with some rectangular pieces of stainless to help block off any heat from hitting the thermo's.

24350d1303179285-uss-brewtanic-imag0837.jpg

Kal

kal said:
You probably already know this, but careful with the flame on that low thermo on the right kettle. You don't want to fry it. Your Blichmann's came with some rectangular pieces of stainless to help block off any heat from hitting the thermo's.

Kal

Thanks for the advise! I actually moved it back to its stock location, and our the sight glass back on when I used it. I do want to drop the thermometer though to get it in the mash better.

subwyking said:
Thanks a lot guys. I whooped up a logo for it. I think I'll get it printed up on vinyl, and slap it on the back.

That's a cool idea for a logo! You should photoshop out the 4 smoke stacks and replace them w/ three boilermakers and a carboy :)

Man that is such a great setup....Not 2 weeks ago I was telling my wife this is how I wanted my 'brew stand' to be....But now I am doing BIAB with a Blichmann Burner, Keggel and 42qt turkey fryer basket. It works great.

Congrats on your set up! It does look great.

Man that is such a great setup....Not 2 weeks ago I was telling my wife this is how I wanted my 'brew stand' to be....But now I am doing BIAB with a Blichmann Burner, Keggel and 42qt turkey fryer basket. It works great.

Congrats on your set up! It does look great.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! I was using a turkey fryer and a converted keg up until about 5 months ago. After an awesome gift from SWMBO and her dad (the two Blichmanns), I was able to get the Brewtanic underway. I love it.

Nice setup! Looks like one of our 809's...i would clock the pump head so the output is pointing up with your inlet on the bottom....the way you have it now you could have cavitation issues...

-Walter

Nice setup! Looks like one of our 809's...i would clock the pump head so the output is pointing up with your inlet on the bottom....the way you have it now you could have cavitation issues...

-Walter

Thanks! That was my first time to use a pump and I wish I would have got one years ago. The pump works like a dream. As far as cavitation is concerned, I'm not exactly sure what that is. I was having a few difficulties priming (could have just been my stupidity), would this be related?

yes it would. If you take a look at the pump head you will notice the inlet is coming in from the center of the pump head...and your outlet would be at the bottom....if you draw an imaginary line horizontaly across the center then the top half of the pump would be full of air and the bottom would fill with liquid. When you go to start the pump up....it will mix the air with liquid...some times work it out..other times it will just basicly spin in the housing with the turbulance and not give much if any output. You could probably get it to work if you start and stop it a few times and get some of the air out of the pump head....but why trouble yourself that way when its simple to just rotate the head? :D

-Walter

WalterAtMarchPump said:
yes it would. If you take a look at the pump head you will notice the inlet is coming in from the center of the pump head...and your outlet would be at the bottom....if you draw an imaginary line horizontaly across the center then the top half of the pump would be full of air and the bottom would fill with liquid. When you go to start the pump up....it will mix the air with liquid...some times work it out..other times it will just basicly spin in the housing with the turbulance and not give much if any output. You could probably get it to work if you start and stop it a few times and get some of the air out of the pump head....but why trouble yourself that way when its simple to just rotate the head? :D

-Walter

That's what I call customer service. Thanks a lot Walter! I rotated it tonight.

WalterAtMarchPump said:

-Walter

Brewed again Sunday after rotating the head, and it worked like a charm. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back