Source/recommendation for long natural gas hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the length of the post--I'm excited.

After about 7 years of not brewing (I started doing all-grains in 1991) because of my state's failure to legalize homebrewing combined with my paranoia I'm back in the mix after Alabama at long last earlier this year became the last state to decriminalize this wonderful hobby.

I've already got the ok from the boss to convert our dining room to a billiards room complete with a keezer and at the same time I'm also working on envisioning some type of brewing structure*. Previously I just used a propane bayou cooker and did my mashing on the kitchen stove even for 10 gallon batches but now I'm shooting for something a little less homespun.

I have a old Sam's Club Grand Hall SS natural gas three burner + side burner grill I'm no longer using and today it occurred to me that it might be a good candidate for converting to a single tier brewing structure. It is very sturdy, it has wheels, and I've got two brand new burners I've never even installed as the three main original ones are pretty much gone. I will definitely remove the grill lid and I may use my grinder to take off the 'lips' which extend upward from the grill area to which the lid is attached in order to expand the surface area where pots can be placed.

When I was cooking with it I attached that grill to a natural gas outlet on my deck with a 12 foot hose, however, what I'd really like is to keep the brewing structure under that deck and roll it out from under for use. That would require about a 25 to 30 foot natural gas hose to connect it to that same outlet for homebrewing. So I'm wondering if anyone has done something similar with a hose they can recommend?

It might be possible to get another 12 foot natural gas hose and connect it to the one I have to get me where I need to be but I've never done that before. I googled and looked on Amazon for those type hoses and the vast majority are in the 10-12' range and the prices on those things insanely vary. Only in a few stores could I find longer hoses in the 20+ lengths and they were typically in the $150 - $200 price range which is more than I was hoping to spend.

Thanks for the help.

*I have to say I did really well in the picking bosses department. In addition to the dining room conversion approval, about four years ago after more than 20 years of marriage, out of the blue she asks me, "Why don't we have a boat?" After regaining consciousness and kissing her, I got started looking right away and we've been boaters ever since.

Says here, that they offer it without fittings, but I couldn't find it:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#natural-gas-hose/=n934c0

Send them an e-mail, and ask where it's located in their catalog.
They are a good company for helpin' ya' find stuff!
But like you said, it ain't cheap I bet!

Thanks again for the link. I bought an inexpensive 24 foot one from McMaster Carr that hopefully will be perfect.

Back