Using your boil kettle for other purposes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
Does anybody here use their boil kettle for other purposes? I was thinking about using mine to steam seafood (crabs and oysters) but I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea.

Boiled a lobster in it once. Was the only pot big enough and boy was it good!

I've boiled crawfish in my stainless steel brew kettle. I lightly scrubbed it with soap and water, rinsed, and used it for a batch of beer a few days later with no problem at all. I also ferment in my brew kettle. There haven't been any issues with that either.

Personally, I use my brewing equipment exclusively for brewing. That said, it would probably depend solely how well you clean.

My first pot turned into a urinal during a party I had!!! Never brewed again in that pot. Now it holds salt for all this snow I'm getting this winter. I was very pissed off at the time. No pun intended!!!

My first pot turned into a urinal during a party I had!!! Never brewed again in that pot. Now it holds salt for all this snow I'm getting this winter. I was very pissed off at the time. No pun intended!!!

A little soapy water and a couple rinses would have made that pot as good as new. :rockin:

Yeah go ahead. Looking around this site you will see that people use used turkey fryers and as long as you clean and rinse your pot you should be fine. If the pot has weldless hardware I would disassemble to make sure you get it thoroughly cleaned, otherwise with fittings just run some soapy water through it and rinse well. Basically, if you can no longer smell the seasonings you will be fine. Heck with only a good rinsing and the 5+ gallons of beer you probably wouldnt be able to notice anything from residue anyway.

I use my 5 gallon pot for Sous Vide Chicken, but the 10 gallon is only for beer since I am not sure what I would actually cook in there besides a boat load of lobstah! I was planning on using my 5 gallon one for soup as well but that got cancelled.

I'd use mine for a seafood boil for sure. My 5 gallon. My 15 gallon is huge. In fact, people seem to think I could boil a person in it if I am so inclined. I'm not, so it'll be just for brewing beer.

ive done some crab boil in mine several times, nom nom nom
we are using industrial grade cooking ware, its cleans up like any other nice pots and pans you cook with.

My brew pot started out as a 22qt. stainless steel soup pot.

I haven't made soup in a LONG time... :)

Used mine last night to make up batch of chicken stock. Cleaned right up and ready for beer or anything else I need it for.

my kettle came used with a turkey fryer i found on craigslist. i'm sure turkey was fried in it at some point, but it was clean. i did a seafood boil once and it definitely got a little funky. I scoured the hell out of it for a while and used a bunch of powdered cookware cleaner. it never gave me a bad batch of beer. i haven't used my kettle for anything but beer since i rigged it with a valve and screen, though.

I use mine with a strainer basket for canning. It holds 14 - 16 qt jars.

I also use it as part of an apple press.

My wort chiller is going to be used to cool turkey noodle soup before adding the noodles next thanksgiving so they don't get too mushy.

I am in charge of mashed potatoes for 30 people every thanksgiving. I am supposed to ensure that there is enough for leftovers becaue I am such an awesome mashed tater maker, [lol] so of course I use the boil kettle :)

This is awesome to hear guys! Looks like I need to go get a steamer basket that fits in my 5 gallon boil kettle. Any suggestions?

Back