Using yeastman qc report to determine viability??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fimpster

Reaction score
I have a vial of WLP036 with best before date of 7/31/15. I've always understood that production dates are 4 months prior to the best before date, making it 3/31 in my case. When I enter it into yeastcaluculator.com it gives me a viability of 57% as of today.

So I've never looked up my vials on Yeastman, but for whatever reason I decided to today. My lot# 1014057 was tested on 5/13. Really?? Do they really wait for nearly two months to test it? I know I often get vials that are less than 2 weeks old from my LHBS. Whatever.

My real question is that since it shows a viability of 99.8% on 5/13, on yeastcalculator.com can I enter initial cell count as 99.8bn with a date of 5/13? The estimate is 81% viability in my case. Is this accurate, or should I stick with using default of 100bn on the production date?

EDIT: after reading my post again I realize that I CANNOT use 99.8bn on 5/13 because the conditions of my yeast vial between 3/31 and 5/13 are unlikely to be the same as White Labs. Do they freeze the yeast before testing it? So I will stick with using 100bn on the production date, but that begs the question of why Yeastman QC test is 5/13 for a batch that was supposedly produced on or around 3/31, and which has a best before date of Jul 31, 2015?

What am I missing?

EDIT 2: FWIW I purchased this vial about a month ago, so well before the test date on yeastman.

Latest posts

Back