Using wood for a control box.. Smart or Dumb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you pull a permit? Your plugging a device into an outlet... An old wood tv is not most likely UL approved, has electrical components mounted in a wood box, and not "safe" to today's standards. If it burns your house down nothing can be said from your insurance company other than a tv caused a house fire.

I used to tinker with those old tvs and they all had the electronics like the tubes and such installed on a giant metal platform... and many times the more dangerous components were covered with metal shields to contain a violent failure if one occurred so they often took percautions that your average home builder might not realize are a good idea...
Which is why my opinion can be wood is ok IF you take additional percautions in building but metal or plastic is a better suited medium to reduce risks.

No need to be sarcastic...chances are he wont have an issue with the wood but that fact remains that metal or plastic rated for electrical use is a better chioce... and they make chances even better that there wont be a fire.

Wasn't trying to be an ass, just using sarcasm for the purpose of adding some humor. While I don't disagree with your statement above I really just wanted to add that I know someone who has done this and hasn't burned their house down. Yet.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to build a wooden control box. A simple weathertight plastic enclosure that can be drilled will cost you less than 20 at Lowes or Home Depot.

I seriously doubt your wood box would catch fire, but you can't tell me that the construction time and materials will make it more economical than the aforementioned plastic enclosure.

An additional note, if your panel is being used within proximity of your kettles, which I assume it is, you really should consider a relatively weathertight enclosure to prevent any water spills or splashes from entering the box.

In the end I doubt that it's really going to be a safety issue, but I don't think the value is really there considering other options.

I'm trying to imagine a kind of "steampunk" controller box, with knife switches, brass-bezel gauges, incandescent indicator lights, etc. :) (not sure if it really fits the genre since it's electrical rather than pneumatic or hydraulic, but it would look cool.)

The choice of material for a control box is only a one part of the total design. Wiring methods, circuit protection, equipment layout, SSR cycle time, etc. among many others all have an impact on the end result.

I chose wood for my enclosure because I have the tools to build any size box I might need, including a CNC router for cutouts, etc. I did a bit of research before selecting the materials combined with many years of industrial control system experience. I have zero concern that the wood will ever present a hazard in my brewing operation. That said, if I were designing a brew stand that would be used 24/7/365 by someone with limited training, experience and motivation I would never have considered using wood. Much of my working career was spent designing control systems to be used in such an environment.

Having designed and built the brew stand hardware and software I am well trained, gaining experience and highly motivated. I am rarely more than a few feet away from my brewing operation. If that is your environment as well I submit the material chosen for your control enclosure is a very minor element of the total design. Many other factors will dominate the safety and operation of your brewing setup.

Just another opinion...

DSCF0295 (800x600).jpg

DSCF0297 (800x600).jpg

Well...it took much longer than I had expected, just with life and whatnot, but my control box is built.
For the GFCI I bought a spa panel from Lowes for about $70 and wouldn't you know it, but it comes I a metal box. At first I didn't think there was enough room but I I was able to mount everything in that box. So after all the commentary, no wood for me, but I accomplished my goal of a compact sturdy relatively low cost controller.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427177847.878627.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1427177884.700503.jpg

Back