Using Wheat for Mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G2Brew

Reaction score
Inspired by San Tan Brewery, I decided to try using a pound of malted wheat in my IPA to give me more mouthfeel, instead of 6-row or oat. HUGE success in that department - the mouthfeel is perfect. It is one of the tastiest brews I've ever made. It's all cascade, with 7oz (in a 70 OG beer) mostly late addition, so it's not too bitter - a really nice balance. In fact, the impact is more of a very tasty American Amber than an IPA, even though it ended up at almost 8%ABV. The color is perfect, and the clarity is very good. My only problem is that I'm not getting much head. I was surprised, since I've never had that problem before. I just kegged it Friday, so it's not fully charged yet. I don't know if that's the problem or not. Any ideas on how to get more head retention?

Wheat should get you head. Lots of head. You could try oats. you'll get more head that way. Not sure about mouthfeel, but head, yes.

Day 5 after kegging - using the tried and true "slow" method of force carbonating at final pressure - and a nice head is now appearing. Not as much as I expect at the end, but certainly enough. The mouthfeel is perfect, and the taste is amazing. The wheat experiment is a winner, in my book.

I like the combination if wheat, and maybe .25 of flaked barley.

The flaked barley can give you a dry Irish stout mouthfeel though.

Back